Author Topic: Shaving like Grandpa  (Read 13719 times)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Shaving like Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »
I have got my dads original Brute deodorant that i refuse to throw away! He passed away 11 years ago and every now and then i spray a little into the lid! It so reminds me of him.

Offline richierich1220

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
Can I pretty much use an DE razor.  I saw this at target and it came with 10 blades free

http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-microtouch-one/-/A-15128601?reco=Rec|pdp|15128601|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1

Also, dumb question.   Is the difference between a double edge and single edge that you can flip over the razor and use both sides thus doubling the razor life?

Also what does using a shaving brush accomplish, is it that much better than lathering in your hands?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:07:09 PM by richierich1220 »

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
Can I pretty much use an DE razor.  I saw this at target and it came with 10 blades free

http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-microtouch-one/-/A-15128601?reco=Rec|pdp|15128601|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1

Also, dumb question.   Is the difference between a double edge and single edge that you can flip over the razor and use both sides thus doubling the razor life?

Also what does using a shaving brush accomplish, is it that much better than lathering in your hands?

The Microtouch has a strong following and i guess it would be a decent one to learn with.

Yes, DE has 2 edges that one usually flips over when one is full of soap. Single edge has just one blade edge showing.

Using a brush is the very best way of applying the soap/cream. Only a small amount in a bowl and whisked up with a decent brush will give you a great lather. It makes the hairs stand up, so to speak and really gets the head/hair ready for the shave.

Check out youtube for some really good videos on DE shaving.

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
Love this video. I have been shaving with a DE and or a straight razor for about two months now. But I don't use those for shaving my head yet.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »
I'd love to daily shave regularly like Grandpa...  I'd say like Dad (my dad was older)... but by the time I came along he used a Norelco electirc with Lectric shave.... and that irritates my face something awful.    My grandpa was an Old Spice and Vics Vap-O-Rub guy... LOL.   I would love to be a DE regular shaver.  I went for 6 months with DE...fixed-blade edwin jagger 89L, which was touted as one of the best of the "starter" razors... I have sensitive skin and would get razor burn and pinpoint bleeding almost every time.  Got good enough to no longer nick myself... but really my Mach3 seemed to give me a better and safer face shave.  I still use my favorite Sandalwood Taylor of old bond street shaving cream and badger brush.... I'll never go back to the canned foam/gel now!!!!    :@`

So I've wondered about the adjustibles...like the merkur futur...  For those of you who have been DE shaving for a long time... if I went to an adjustible would I improve my chances of getting back to that great (and inexpensive) DE shave, or would I just be making things worse?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »
@sf73:  All I gotta say is that there is nothing better then a DE or SE shave compared to any Fusion, Mach 3, or disposable razor.  Prior to discovering the traditional way in 2012, my favorite razor was the Fusion.  Since 2012, I have not looked back.

As far as the Merkur Futur, it is an excellent modern day adjustable razor, you can dial up the aggressiveness from #1-6.  With practice and proper technique, anyone can have a better shave compared to a cartridge razor.  You must have patience and persistence.

It took me about a one week to get comfortable with DE shaving the face and about a month to get comfortable with the head shave.  What type of brand DE blade you were using?  Did you watch some youtube videos on wet shaving:  mantic59, geofatboy, and nickshaves?  Proper technique, patience, a good pre-prep, no rushing, and persistence is the key to a great DE or SE shave. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
Also on a side note the prices for only 12 Mach 3 cartridges is outrageous!!!!  You can get a quality DE razor for that price and a 100 pack of Astra SP blades for only under $11.00.  Try buying 100 pack of Mach3 or a 100 pack of Fusion refills.

http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Mach3-Cartridges-Count-packaging/dp/B000XVTYYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403474095&sr=8-1&keywords=MACH+3+cartridges

WARHAWK O0

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »
Ha...thanks Warhawk... 

Actually yes...  I watched most of those youtube videos, like mantic's, and read several articles from several other shaving sites like badger and brush as well...   I started with a sampler of blades when I bought my DE...tried several from Derby to Feather (the most feared..lol).   Funny you mentioned Astra...that was the blade (it seemed) I had the best experience with and I ordered a 100-pack of them from Amazon!!!  I loved the idea of using a new blade after every couple of shaves.  Heck, a new blade for EVERY shave is perfectly affordable at that price.  But...  i rarely seemed to be able to get a perfect non-bleeding shave unless I went ONLY with the grain (which was never close)...  To make that worse I take Coumadin, a blood thinner, so if I bleed...I BLEED.    I'm sure you can understand why I became less and less encouraged when I had to hold a towel to my neck for 30 minutes after almost every shave.

Thats why I wondered about the adjustibles...  I realize technique is key, but was also wondering if I was at a point where blade angle was an issue I was dealing with on the fixed razor...

thanks for your imput!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
Well, I'm not sure.  The EJ89L is a very mild razor and the Futur is an aggressive razor even if you dialed it at #1.  I know because I have both razors.  Good luck and I hope that you can "find" that DE razor so you can enjoy the shaves of safety razors. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 05:16:49 AM »
Maybe you need to go back to basics and learn again. DE shaving has to be done the right way to make for a nice clean, nick free shave.

Lather is very important and remember to never shave over an area that has no lather. This may cause problems if not done right. Lather and re lather. As many times as you want.

Only use the weight of the razor. Do Not press down on it! Light strokes at all times.

I was going to give up DE shaving when i first tried it as i was getting nicks and razor burn but i decided to give it another go after seeing many videos on youtube. Boy i am glad i persevered as i would never go back to crapridges! lol

I also use 'Bump Patrol' after each shave which should help with razor burn. I use it but dont get razor burn anymore!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:18:43 AM by Goatee »

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
I think so... I know its all about technique, so I know I am the problem.  I usually TRY to follow all those things you mentioned -- lather/re-lather, using only the weight of the razor, not shaving over area with no lather, etc...  and I learned most of that from the same videos you and Warhawk mentioned. 

I gave myself a DE shave yesterday...first time in a while... not too bad, only a few spots, but spots nonetheless.  I'm gonna try using pre-shave oil again....I never really gave that stuff a fair shake....

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 04:58:14 AM »
Time. That is what is needed. No super products that will give you the ultimate shave every time. Time to learn the craft.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 05:11:55 AM »
I know about taking a blood thinner I take one also. But getting back to DE shaving which is what I learned on and used for many years,I never shaved against the grain. Why because it would irate my skin,sometimes you have to decide to give up very smooth for comfort and less cuts.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
My grandfather had a valet who shaved him everyday. And, of course, they'd put me in the chair, all very serious, get a good mug full of foam-about the consistency of meringue, lather me up and then "shave" me with the back edge of a comb. That was when I was 9. By the time I was13 I could grow all the facial hair I needed and was two meters tall. Cepetti-his valet-taught me how to shave myself but only with a double edge. What was important to learn was not only the ritual but what you really needed to do to have a great shave. Move forward about 60 years. To prove I could overcome the inherent shakiness of MS I took up straight blade shaving. (I've mentioned the first few outings in other posts someplace on here.) Now I'm a straight blade shaver par excellence. Only thing I cannot shave is the back side of my head...but I'm trying. Thanks for the video, lots of basic, good information. It used to be that mans castle was his home now we're backed into the bathroom only. And then you may have to share it. There is something about shaving with a DE or a straight that connects one to the past. And, yes, the smell. I'm hooked on Old Spice and, by the way, their spray deodorant makes a great room freshener. Nothing heavy, but like a new car, a good, comfortable smell. Try it. Of course you'd have to buy a can of their deodorant but it's the sort of thing that, eventually, does get used up.

Enter your email address: