Author Topic: Shaving like Grandpa  (Read 13716 times)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Shaving like Grandpa
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:04:25 AM »
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/26/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa-an-instructional-film-video/

Yes, it's face shaving, but I think you'll enjoy this video.  Well done.  The straight razor guys will like it.  Also those who like Pinard Clubman will get an honorable mention.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Shaving like Grandpa
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
Brilliant video. Thanks for sharing it. Guess you aint going to shave your face though mrzed?

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »
 I love this video. I have been shaving with a safety razor for about a month and this one one of the first videos I watched. I have really been enjoying the experience and I love the old timey smell of Clubman. I also bought a bottle of Old Spice and Brut. They both bring back lots of memories of my dad and uncles.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
Not a chance that I'm going to shave my face willingly. The beard is 34 years and growing. 

I still like the video. Great narrator and character interaction.  Love the script and the music. 

Offline Jeremy66

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »
Great video, thanks for sharing. This reminds me of my dad, he always shaved with a straight razor.

Offline sheffdave

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
I love shaving my face with a safety razor. You cant beat a splash of old spice as well, my wife says I smell like her dad did when she was a young girl

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
I'll never go back to multi-blade carts. DE for life! If I ever have kids of my own I'll definitely teach them how to use a DE.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »
Interesting how many have mentioned the 'smell' of dad's or grandpa's aftershave. The old tried the true scents. Brings back huge memories / favorable memories.

I always remember the smell in my grandparents bath room. They used DIAL soap. We always used IVORY.  The scent of the DIAL soap always reminds me of my grandparents.

The smell of Pinard Clubman always reminds me of the smell of the old guy barber shop.

(mom did not permit any scents in the house. They all made her nose run.)

I'll get a little stuffy on some scents, but a benedryl can take care of that if it's too bothersome.

Thanks, guys, for responding.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:01:51 AM »
Hi Dan:  Thanks for sharing.  As a big fan of using DE and SE razors, I will never ever go back to cartridges or disposables.  There is nothing better, more challenging, and more fun then shaving like your grandpa. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:16:17 AM »
Mr. Zed, thanks for the video....brings back some fond memories, and it's nice to see old fashioned wet shaving is making a comeback.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
Well, perhaps not grandpa, but great-grandpa, maybe: no hot and cold running water; no flush toilets; streets full of horse manure; woolen underwear; straight razors.  Some things do change for the better, and I'd say the invention of the safety razor can be put in that category.  Far be it from Ming to prescribe, however; he only describes.

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 08:05:32 AM »
Great vid! Thanks for sharing. 

Had to chuckle a at the title a bit ... only because I can only remember my grandfather used to use bic disposables. I'm when he was younger he had a DE or maybe straight razor, but I only remember those Bics

Offline richierich1220

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Hi - I'm looking to make the switch to a DE razor and was hoping to get a few questions answered

1) Roughly how many shaves do you get with 1 DE razor blade?
2) I currently use nivea for men sensitive shaving cream.  If I decide to switch to a DE and use a shaving brush and bowl can I continue to use that shaving cream or do you use a different sort of cream/ointment. 
3) Should I master this before shaving my head with it also?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
Hi - I'm looking to make the switch to a DE razor and was hoping to get a few questions answered

1) Roughly how many shaves do you get with 1 DE razor blade?
2) I currently use nivea for men sensitive shaving cream.  If I decide to switch to a DE and use a shaving brush and bowl can I continue to use that shaving cream or do you use a different sort of cream/ointment. 
3) Should I master this before shaving my head with it also?

1. If you soak your blades in a light coat of baby oil as many as 10 shaves per blade (possibly more)
2. Using a brush will work with just about anything...but may I suggest adding a few drops of Shave Secret preshave oil? (Sold at most WalMarts for ~$3.85 per bottle
3. If you're brave enough, go for it on the head...but most practice it on their face first
Good luck and happy shaving!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »
Both of my grandfathers were Old Spice & Brut men.  Anytime I get a whiff of those it brings back the memories :)
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"