Author Topic: A quick, healthy meal  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
A quick, healthy meal
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:49:49 PM »
One of the biggest problems that I had with losing weight was that my wife and I are always on the go.  Because of this, it was hard to make sure that I had something healthy to eat when I only had a couple of min to prepare it and eat it.

Here are a couple of things that I do now:

Smoothies!

I make a lot of smoothies and usually have one sitting in the fridge so I can grab it and go.

My favorite smoothie consists of
1 cup lowfat/nonfat milk
2 tablespoons of nonfat/lowfat vanilla yogurt (or plain for less sugar)
3/4 cup of quick oats (instant oatmeal) - I like it raw, but you can nuke it in the microwave.  Make sure you DON'T use the flavored oatmeal.
2 scoops (1 serving) of chocolate whey protein
2 teaspoons of peanut butter
1 handful of ice cubes (6 to 8 cubes)

This makes 2 8oz servings of the smoothie.   I have one in the morning and then keep the second serving in the fridge to have after my evening workout.

You can also substitute the chocolate protein for vanilla and the peanut butter for fresh or frozen fruit.

PB & F sandwich
This is just two pieces of Whole Wheat or Whole Grain bread, lather on some Peanut Butter and put some fruit on top.  I like to use black berries, razzberies, apples, or strawberries.  It's like PB&J without the sugar.

This is great if you top it off with a glass of milk!

Yogurt Shake and Almonds

If I can't make it home, I'll usually stop at the grocery store and buy a lowfat yogurt shake/smoothie (I try to find one that is also low on sugar) and a small bag of whole raw almonds.   Eat a handful, about 10 to 15 almonds and wash it down with the shake.  It will satisfy your hunger for a couple of hours and tastes yummy!

These are all ideas I got out of the Abs Diet book I read.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

ChadinSO

Re: A quick, healthy meal
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 01:25:55 PM »

Nice ideas brah, I love fitness.  I plan on gaining 20 pounds of muscle before March 31st.   I started a contest at work for better fitness.  A FRIENDLY contest, for all coworkers to improve and be postive.

Chad

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »
that PB&F sounds wicked tasty

I had PB&J for lunch today...usually three sandwiches will hold me, but I was still hungry. Guess I'll make four tomorrow for lunch.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
that PB&F sounds wicked tasty

I had PB&J for lunch today...usually three sandwiches will hold me, but I was still hungry. Guess I'll make four tomorrow for lunch.

Yeah, they are yummy!  You can also sweeten them up by adding a bit of honey.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:07:29 PM »
i had a piece of king cake( MARDI GRAS season ) for lunch. and jambalaya for dinner. cajuns eat too much unhealthy stuff. gotta go to the other office for a week though. maybe i can start doing something healthy there.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 09:47:18 AM »
mmmmmmmmm......cajun food.......yummy
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Rhymez

• McGarry
  • Super Sly
  • Hip Hop 4 Life!
    • Notorious R-MC
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »
those sound good, but seem more of a healthy snack as to a meal. My favorite healthy snack otta be a toasted strawberry cream cheese bagel. although the cream cheese might kill the "healthy" part.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 01:22:06 AM »
those sound good, but seem more of a healthy snack as to a meal. My favorite healthy snack otta be a toasted strawberry cream cheese bagel. although the cream cheese might kill the "healthy" part.

You'd be shocked at how much one of those shakes will fill you up.  Especially because of the oatmeal and protein. 

Now the bagel and cream cheese - far from healthy bro!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 03:14:19 PM »

My favorite smoothie consists of
1 cup lowfat/nonfat milk
2 tablespoons of nonfat/lowfat vanilla yogurt (or plain for less sugar)
3/4 cup of quick oats (instant oatmeal) - I like it raw, but you can nuke it in the microwave.  Make sure you DON'T use the flavored oatmeal.
2 scoops (1 serving) of chocolate whey protein
2 teaspoons of peanut butter
1 handful of ice cubes (6 to 8 cubes)

That is also my favorite.  I've tweaked the recipe by a bit and sweeten it with Splenda.  Satisifies the craving for something sweet without adding any extra calories.

Another variation on this that I like a lot is to eliminate the peanut butter and substitute  cookies & cream flavor light Muscle Milk for the the chocolate whey.

BTW, I don't use as much chocolate whey as you do.  I thought it was two teaspoons, not two scoops (I upped it to 3 teaspoons).  Did you alter the recipe or have I been making it wrong all this time?  :/O

Offline Koaa2

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
A good and simple dessert is:

1 large Angel Food cake left in store container.
1pkg of Sugar Free/Fat Free Jello any favorite flavor(About 2 cups)
Lite Cool Whip to taste

Prepare jello as directed on package. Pour jello over Angel Food Cake  while it is in the container, making hole with a toothpick, to get it to run into the cake. Refrigerate until cake is set. Remove from container using a knife to losen sides and bottom. Use cool whip per taste. I have sometimes used whole cool whip container and spread around entire cake.

This is very refreshing/satisfying and low in fat and calories. You could also sprinkle same fruit, as jello, on and around cake.
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Offline Meathead

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 06:28:57 PM »
Scrambled eggs with a little feta cheese and some onions(onions optional). Yogurt and a piece of fruit does it to.
"Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose."

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »
I love almonds, and almond butter i cannot eat peanut butter i'm allergic to nuts but almond butter is so amazing

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]