Author Topic: Worried about how people will react.  (Read 12424 times)

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
Re: Worried about how people will react.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 05:27:39 AM »
I think the glasses will look good with the shaved head (after all, I have some experience in that regard lol)

My advice is, if you're not yet totally sure, go with the short buzzed look, which I did for many years because I really enjoyed it. When I went to the razor this summer most people that I knew didn't notice a huge change because my hair was already really short. I just took the plunge and everything was fine.

When you do opt to lather up and shave, which I am sure you will, make sure to give it at least 30 days to get used to it and have others get used to the 'renwed' you. :)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
I think the glasses would be a nice touch, myself...You could perhaps grow some facial hair to offset the shaved head and the attention it may get. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline DannyBoy

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
It is understandable to worry about shaving if someone out there hasnt worried specially if they are going bald then good on them wish i was like that...my worries wasnt the fact i was going bald even though i admit i disliked the horsehoe look (i dont mind the look now though) but like you it was about other peoples reactions...i was 16 when i first noticed my hairloss i was still in school thankfully it was near the end of school i only had gsces left...but i suppose i didnt want to be bullied for it cause i was already bullied for other reasons so i hid my loss and was in the typical denial stage like it wont get worse etc...when it got to the stage where it was obvious i was losing hair i was about 18 i still tried to hide it but saw my reflection one day and thought on the lines of "what am i doing i look silly this is not working for me people can tell now so why hide"...next day got it cut very short then time went on as the hairloss got worse i buzzed and buzzed etc until i look how i do in my profile pic.

People will probably say something or give you looks cause think about it they used to you having hair they dont do it to be horrible its just a natural reaction...but you wil get negative comments but hey thats life...what i would do is buzz it like a 4 or what ever and keep going down from there that way you will get used to the look...unless you want a hair transplant or something.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:00:41 PM by DannyBoy »
It is only a problem if YOU make it a problem.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
I plan on keeping it short for a bit and letting people get used to it, and then if I can work it into the conversation, slipping it in that I was thinking about shaving it just to get some input and so it's not quite as awkward.

I suggest you reconsider this approach. If you solicit opinions I believe you will get overwhelming negativity ... "Oh, you look great! Don't shave it." and so on. This is because people don't like change AND you are asking them to imagine what you might look like.

My strongest recommendation is just to shave it and afterwards let folks know you did it for yourself and you like it. Case closed.

But if you want to forewarn them you could "slip into conversation" that you WILL be shaving it off. Make it a declaration versus opening it up for voting.

Just my two cents.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline meganuera

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Should I?
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:52:35 PM »
That's a good point, maybe I should be careful about asking others' opinions...

BTW, Here's a before picture of me with hair, and a photshopped picture of me bald.

What do you think?

http://imageshack.com/a/img547/64/qg0g.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img593/9378/u60z.jpg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:48:45 PM by meganuera »

Offline DannyBoy

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
You should never shave on someone elses opinion only yours its not their head.

Offline meganuera

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Should I?
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »

I agree, I want to shave my head; I just need some moral support. If the people in my life were encouraging me to do it, it would be so much easier.
Also, I don't think I'm balding, so no hair transplant needed. My hairline does seem to be getting higher, so who knows what the future holds. I hope not because I want to be bald by choice.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
The photoshopped photo looks really good. You'll get a lot of encouragement and support here. It sounds like you really want to do this, so do it and don't worry about what people will say. Give it a chance and in the end, if you decide you don't like it, it'll grow back.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline DannyBoy

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »

I agree, I want to shave my head; I just need some moral support. If the people in my life were encouraging me to do it, it would be so much easier.
Also, I don't think I'm balding, so no hair transplant needed. My hairline does seem to be getting higher, so who knows what the future holds. I hope not because I want to be bald by choice.

I know how you feel dude you should of seen me when i finally went to the lowest number on my electric razor i came on here also...it was like a "war" in my head should i or should i not the funny thing is though i was like on a number 2 already i looked bald from a distance...i was pretty much there already so it wasnt like your hair...but i still struggled i finally shaved it it was like 3.00am something like that...didnt look to much different lol just cleaner looking no idea why i struggled when i was walking around with a stubble maybe a bit longer horse shoe with no care in the world lol...but i also asked should i or should i not but end of the day its up to you cause some may say do it cause maybe they think thats what you want to hear or may say no which puts you off more...its how YOU feel if you want to do it then do it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:30:58 PM by DannyBoy »

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 07:16:07 PM »
If you are looking for encouragement, I think that you look more distinguished with a shaved head.  Just keep getting your hair cut shorter and shorter.  In six months, you'll be ready for the razor blade and shaving cream.  You KNOW you want it!

Offline meganuera

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Should I?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Thanks Earl,

I'm not patient enough to take that method, but I appreciate the advice. I really want to shave it, but now I'm worried that I'll just look chemo. I am very pale and skinny. I'm thinking that the sooner I just do it and see what it's like the better. I'm sick of putting it off and worrying how I will look. Even so, this is not going to be easy. I've been looking online and most what I see about being bald is negative. Girls won't like it, you'll look chemo, etc. If I was unemployed right now, I would go out tomorrow and have it done. So, my main issue is work and people's reactions there. If I'm uncomfortable and feel stupid and ugly for having shaved my head I have no choice but to sit there and feel that way. And hair grows very slowly if I hate it. Regardless of how I look, I know I'll be uncomfortable, and I know that I'll be making everyone else uncomfortable. Sigh, this is probably the hardest decision of my life.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
I have an idea: Why don't you tell everyone (not that it matters) that you did it in support for St. Baldrick's? St. Baldricks is a charity that people shave their heads for to support children's cancer.....In fact, some people get their heads shaved by the charity itself. Check out and see if there is a St. Baldrick's chapter near you. Good luck, the photoshopped looks pretty good!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline meganuera

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Should I?
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
Great minds think alike Sir Harry, I looked them up this morning actually. There's nothing nearby right now sadly, but I remember there was one last summer. They do offer something where you could do it by yourself and still raise money though, but I think I'd like it better if it was part of the event.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »
Spot on frontier guy...I was gonna post similar....and a great idea from sir h, get the look you want and raise money for a good cause....go for it

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »
I posted a link to another "buzz-off" in the Miscellaneous board for a similar event to benefit kids with cancer. They have two slated right now, in Dallas and in Foxborough, MA (about 20 miles south of Boston) if you're near those areas, that's another option.

Kind of makes me wish I had signed up and supported a great cause while getting my head shiny... :)