Author Topic: Getting sick of shaving. Help!  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Getting sick of shaving. Help!
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:19:42 AM »
Guys, been shaving some time now and to be honest I am getting sick of the routine etc.

Every time I shave it takes many passes to get it smooth! Takes ages to shave. I use a brush to lather up and re-lather a few times during shave.

I have used a Gillette sensor and a Headblade now and it is always the same.

I know I have asked before on here but I am seriously thinking of ditching shaving with a razor.

I still want to be almost bald though. No use me buying a Wahl balder as I am to keep my hair at it most minimum without a wet shave.

Thing is, I am not made of money so need. Good shaver that will take the hair to the very tiniest possible. Like when after shaving the head feels slightly rough after a day. I don't mind that.

I have read the posts many times but can't decide what to go for.

Offline Bald Guy

• Sly Jr.
Re: Getting sick of shaving. Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:23:49 AM »
I quickly found out that I'm prone to razor bumps and ingrowns on my head, like I am the neck from shaving.  I can't shave ATG so I'm satisfied with a DFS.  Try my method of using a sharp and aggressive razor and just doing a WTG pass, and you'll have just a tiny bit of stubble.  It takes me about 15 minutes to do my head and face.

Offline Jayellpi3113

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »
Hi Koolpc
I started off using a Philips triple head rotary electric model HQ7350.  It works really well but it doesn't get my head totally smooth like a blade.  I switched to a Headblade ATX and now I am as smooth as a baby's bum.  I like that better because it is super smooth by comparison to the electric.  However, if I'm in a hurry and don't want to go the "wet" route I still use the electric.  It really does a good job and it sounds like it should work for you.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »
Hey Kool,
You have probably seen that I usually use a Remington shaver. This thing gets my head really close to what a blade will do. It is really smooth, and no irritation. You can see the shine I get. Sometimes I'll even touch it up in the PM. I notice a little sandpaper feel after 10 or 12 hours. I shave while watching the morning news on tv! It's model F5790, goes for about $60.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
Thanks guys. I will check them out.

andrewswenson

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 02:27:14 AM »
What I do, is I just don't shave every single day. I wait 2-3 days and then I begin to feel really gross with thick stubble. Then, it's no longer a hassle to shave, it's something I WANT and HAVE to do to feel fully clean and comfortable in my own skin.

Also, I don't think you mentioned if you go against the grain or not, but don't obsess over your head being TOTALLY smooth. Shave WITH the grain and just do the whole head once, rinse and lather, then repeat and that's good enough. If you still feel the slight "sandpaper" feel it's no big deal. I usually do on the back of my head because that's where the hairs are the thickest but I'm not going to spend another 15 minutes taking off a layer of skin trying to get it baby smooth going against the grain. It would do more harm than good for me.

Hope my advice helps.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:37:41 AM »
Yea, been shaving every few days and i prefer that. Cheers

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
I hear you.  It's a routine that we'll have to go through for the rest of our lives if we want to keep the sly look.  Much like brushing our teeth, think of it as part of your morning routine.  I usually shave every other day because I'm lazy, but know I have to keep it up.  The last couple of days I've shaved by feel in the shower and found that it's quicker and smoother than when I would do it in the sink after the shower.  Basically find a method and routine that doesn't take up too much time and you won't get so frustrated.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:20:34 AM »
I only shave twice a week and at night so I don't have to get up any earlier!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
Personally I think I'm going to get a electric razor for every day use.. Looking at getting one of those Remington like you have Reddog, due to being able to find one cheap on ebay brand new.. Plus its cheaper then alot of electric razors I've researched and from what I've read its comparable to them even with being 1/3 the price. But I'll more then likely use that as daily use like I said, and use my Headblade when I plan on doing something special that day. Being a stay at home dad it's a bit hard to shave with a razor due to the kid wanting to get into stuff or be fussy lol. And I think with an electric I can do it while watching without fear of having to reapply shaving cream and such.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08:21 PM »
Personally I think I'm going to get a electric razor for every day use.. Looking at getting one of those Remington like you have Reddog, due to being able to find one cheap on ebay brand new.. Plus its cheaper then alot of electric razors I've researched and from what I've read its comparable to them even with being 1/3 the price. But I'll more then likely use that as daily use like I said, and use my Headblade when I plan on doing something special that day. Being a stay at home dad it's a bit hard to shave with a razor due to the kid wanting to get into stuff or be fussy lol. And I think with an electric I can do it while watching without fear of having to reapply shaving cream and such.

Report back with a review when you get one.

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »
I will :D.. Might a little while though >.<

Enter your email address: