Author Topic: Proposal Stories  (Read 7825 times)

Offline zeroallover

• Sly Guy in Training
Proposal Stories
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »
Hi guys, quick question for those of you that are engaged/married. How did you pop the question? I've decided I'm going to do it in a few months and would love to hear how the sly guys of the forum did it?

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Proposal Stories
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
As my wife likes to tell it: "He just rolled over one night and said, 'So, you want to get married?' "

Actually, we were lying on two big pillows on the floor of my den (it had only two rocking chairs in it at the time) with my dachshund between us. We had returned from a trip to Houston that evening, and had been tip toeing around the subject of marriage the entire time. I finally thought it was the right time to ask.

Her response was, "I would love to."

I then took her to select the ring, and am very happy I did because what she picked was not what I thought she would like. (Not the most romantic thing, but I figured she was going to be the one to wear it, so she should have some say in how it looked.) We then drove to the garden of the chapel at my alma mater where I put it on her finger and restated the proposal in a more formal manner.

Quiet, simple, and private.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:02:22 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
Our first date was the first week of December 1994. We moved in together to my new house in January of 1995. We got engaged in February of 1995.... I walked in from work, sat her on the sofa, and asked her to marry me (almost as romantic as Cave Dweller!).
We got married that September (1995). Nine months start to finish... nice and neat!!

Most importantly.... I love her more now than ever.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
I proposed the day after Thanksgiving at Disneyland in front of Cinderella's castle.  You can see a reenactment here - http://www.silist.com/wedding
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
I proposed the day after Thanksgiving at Disneyland in front of Cinderella's castle.  You can see a reenactment here - http://www.silist.com/wedding

Wow, Tyler, amazing photos!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 04:56:38 AM »
I was living in Alaska at the time and she was in Minneapolis. I could not afford a trip to propose in person, so I bought a squirrel stuffed animal. The chest of the squirrel said ,"I'm nuts about Alaska".  I stitched the ring to the paw of the squirrel and sent it Express Mail. Then called her on the phone to propose the next day, when it arrived.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:31 AM »
This one is more impressive. From my brother-in-law.

He lived in Seattle and she lived in Australia.  He worked for Airborne Express, so would get vouchers for free air travel.

He arranged for office to schedule her off on Friday, but did not tell her that, so she came to work as usual.  He flew to Australia.  Was picked up by her father and brought to the office. He called her from the lobby, but she thought he was calling from Seattle.  (guess they did not have caller ID).  While talking to her, he rode up the elevator to her lobby area. As they were talking he walked up to her with the ring and proposed!  She was overwhelmed!

Everyone knew except her.  They gave her the rest of the day off and the weekend.  And Sunday he flew back home to Seattle.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 11:29:49 PM »

Wow, Tyler, amazing photos!

Thanks, Mike!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline TV guy

• Sly Jr.
    • T.V.Puppetree
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »
I may just have the most romantic and unique story. Bella (another member here) was visiting, got rather sick and wound up in Emerg :px. So I did the only logical thing - I bought THE most expensive ring the hospital gift shop had ($12.) and in between vomiting - I proposed...AND she accepted :@`. I did get her an even more expensive diamond and sapphire ring later.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
And that gift shop turtle ring was more meaningful than words can say.

Sometimes, the most "romantic" or special opportunities to propose just happen, rather than Jumbrotrin moments.

However, I dont recommend the method employed by my ex-husband and I:
Me: you know, if we got married, we'd save a lot on taxes
him: okay.

Notice I said EX-husband  ;)