Poll

When shaving your head, do you shave against the grain or with it?

Against the grain
69 (92%)
With the grain
6 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Against the grain?  (Read 32441 times)

BALDANDRE

Re: Against the grain?
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2007, 04:42:09 PM »

Question?...I shaved with the grain 1st, and then relathered and against. Is this the best way, or just go straight to against the grain???

Personally I think if you shave against straight out of the shoot, it will help "pull" the hairs first to shave them off, it's a bit rougher, but since you're more seasoned now, i would stick to going against the grain..

yea, it does help with both smoothness and shadow.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
I have been shaving for 4 mos. now, and have only attempted against the grain 3X. The first 2 were earlier on in my beginning shaving stages and I experienced a lot of irritation, yesterday was the 3rd. I loved the way it felt and I had no irritation. I also think this helped with the shadow as well.

Question?...I shaved with the grain 1st, and then relathered and against. Is this the best way, or just go straight to against the grain???

That's the way that I do it YOSP, with and then against.  I rarely have any irritation.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2007, 08:17:01 PM »
I usually go all over the place.  I have a weird hair growth pattern.. But it is always against the grain. 

JohnMont

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2007, 08:21:56 PM »
In the short time I've been shaving I've found that I like it totally smooth, and that the only way to do this is by going against the grain (and sometimes sideways too), as so many of you guys have said.  But clarify this for me --- if you shave daily,  do you recommend doing the WHOLE shave against the grain?  What I usually do is  a once over "with the grain" then again against.  Just doing it once, against the grain would save time, no?

John

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2007, 08:45:10 PM »
In the short time I've been shaving I've found that I like it totally smooth, and that the only way to do this is by going against the grain (and sometimes sideways too), as so many of you guys have said.  But clarify this for me --- if you shave daily,  do you recommend doing the WHOLE shave against the grain?  What I usually do is  a once over "with the grain" then again against.  Just doing it once, against the grain would save time, no?

John

I begin with going against the grain John, but like Timm I seem to have a weird growth pattern so I go in all directions.   This means I actually go on the diagonal sometimes, sometimes back to front, whichever way works against the grain.  It is the only way I can assure total and longer lastiing smoothness.  BTW John, ever given consideration to Just For Men for the beard?   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:48:50 PM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2007, 08:55:53 PM »
When I first started I would go against the grain and with...and just go all over the place.  I kinda refined it down to just going against the grain since going with the grain didn't add any smoothness.  Still would like to find something to help keep the stubble away for longer than half a day.  I guess the only answer is a lunch times shave????
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

jusbnme

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
I once read somewhere that if you just go against the grain alone that it will help get your dome smoother because the longer the hairs are the more the razor has to grab on to to cut.  Or something like that.  But who knows for sure.  I myself have never went with then against.  I have always just went against.  I do understand why some may go with then against because it will cause less drag and irritation.  But if you just take it slow when shaving against the grain it doesn't pull too bad at all and rarely has caused me irritation.  I use to be a shower shaver but now I've went back to the sink for different reasons.  I just fill the sink up with real hot water and take it against the grain real slow.  I make sure to rinse the blade with every pass. 

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:11 AM »
I have never shaved with the grain, always against. Can never get a truly smooth shiny dome with going against the grain.

Sometimes however if I have a dull blade and no new ones it helps to shave with the grain at first to cut the hair down and reapply lube and then shave against.

A good trick I learned was using clean and clear wipes which gives your head mini goosebumps and allows the finer smaller hairs to be shaved clean off allowing even a smoother shave.

JohnMont

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2007, 09:40:02 AM »
.  BTW John, ever given consideration to Just For Men for the beard?   
[/quote]

Sounds like 'against the grain' is the way to go.  Thanks, guys.   I hear ya, SlyKC , about the midday stubble.  I am still finding it amazing that my head feels like sandpaper in the afternoon if I shave in the morning. 

About the 'just for men' thing. ....   I kind of have a philosophical objection to men dying their hair.  I 've been prematurly grey since 35  (am 53 now, so I'm pretty used to it).   Just seems like it would be really vain to start coloring now (and I'm vain enuf as it is! )

John

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
Good Morning Guys,

John, I absoluteley agree with you on the dyeing thing.
I have been partially gray for the last 4-5 years I'd say.
I have an aversion to any sort of coloring, I think it doesn't look natural and seems futile.( almost like combover , horseshoe ponytail?)
I would rather just shave it off or leave it all gray. It looks much neater and cleaner if it's trimmed well.
By the way John, Did you shave it all clean yet?

Joe

JohnMont

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2007, 05:19:41 PM »

John, I absoluteley agree with you on the dyeing thing.
I have been partially gray for the last 4-5 years I'd say.
I have an aversion to any sort of coloring, I think it doesn't look natural and seems futile.( almost like combover , horseshoe ponytail?)
I would rather just shave it off or leave it all gray. It looks much neater and cleaner if it's trimmed well.

Joe

Not yet.  I did trimm it down a bit though.  here's what it looks like now

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »

Joe

Not yet.  I did trimm it down a bit though.  here's what it looks like now

You almost there!!! going to look great!! give it a try!!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2007, 06:43:40 PM »
John,

Wow, looks awesome, I think you are rocking it like a natural!

I am going to be joining you and the other sly fella's (I bought the Headblade Sport today!, check my other post in headshavng).

Keep it the way you have it now, like I said it looks much better trimmed down neat.
I will let you know how it goes for me.

Joe

X The Hierophant

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »
I am new at this, but ever since my first shave a week and a half ago I have been going against the grain.  I don't even bother doing with the grain.  I just headlube up, and start against the grain with the headblade.  If you're going to shave it I figure against will make it more smooth.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2007, 12:56:19 PM »
X, that sounds good. I am 3 days into this now, and so far I have mostly stayed with the grain. I am worried that I may cause too much irritation.

But so far I can't believe how easy it's becoming. I am currrently using headslick,which seems to work well. Shaving with the HB sport in the shower; then clean up with my Mach III while I shave the face.

Maybe some of the fellas' can give a little input on the difference between headslick and headlube?

Joe