Author Topic: My Second, Third and Fourth Attempts At Shaving My Face With A Straight Razor  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
I didn't get back to practicing as soon as I'd hoped; It seems that in the process of almost amputating my thumb the first time I'd done damage to a tendon which one needs to bend your thumb. Time two was a bit like time one save that I had a hand towel wrapped around my left hand. What I did this time was relax into it, remembering that I didn't have to do this, I wasn't in a contest and that I was doing this for my own enjoyment and improvement. I already made my own foam and used a double edged razor so all I was doing was reducing the number of blades to the irreducible minimum, one; It was just like shaving with a double edge. Also, I relieved myself of the idea of producing an outcome that I might get from a professional. The good news is that I "did" my whole face and the moderate news is that I had to go back and "do some clean up" with my double edge. I suppose I have to mention the one blood letting: I have a very deep dimple and dimples and anything straight aren't compatible. But I was encouraged. So much so that, after a suitable time to let my chin heal, I did it again. And Again. While I'm not great at it, by now I'm also I'm comfortable picking it up and shaving with serious concerns. Will I ever convert to it entirely? No. I also can't shave my head with it but, as a learning experioence, it's been great

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
P.S. There's a benefit you may not think about. If guys use your bathroom and see the straight razor, you'll get credit for having the balls to use one....just the razor hanging there with the brush and the soap tell the whole story. Not the worst reputation to have. Also, it starts conversations, usually, "I wouldn't try that if you......"

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Hi Blitz:  Any more updates on your SR shaves?  Show some pics.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Hi Blitz:  Any more updates on your SR shaves?  Show some pics.

WARHAWK O0

In general I find people are not drawn to pictures of blood. Even after the stitches are in and the  dressings on, it's still not interesing. Now, as to having a picture of me in full shave mode, blade in hand, foam on face, look of dread on face in mirror, large supply of gauze and plasters on the vanity....I should think that would be discouraging to others. However in the not to distant future-before I hit the crematorium for professional reasons-I'll have someone-whom I know very well-drop by with their Brownie and we'll memorialize the occasion and I'll leave it here if I ever can figure out how to do that sor tof thing.

Enter your email address: