Author Topic: Updating and checking in  (Read 8163 times)

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
Updating and checking in
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
Sorry it has been while since I checked in. Life has been way too busy. That said, last time I posted in this section I was attempting to quit smoking. I managed to quit for 3 weeks, but went right back and actually increased my smoking. Well here I am having just gotten real sick with bronchitis. It made me stop so I could just breathe. That was a week ago. I want to stay quit but fear that when I feel better I will start again. I love smoking too much. If anyone can help send me some encouragement that would be great. Cravings are kicking in. Thanks!

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
Re: Updating and checking in
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
I don't smoke, but I have had several friends who failed at least once, but they all eventually quit.  You can do this!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
Have you looked into those E-Cigs or Vapes?  You can get juices that contain nicotine so that it helps you ween away from the cigarettes.  I know it seems like a fad right now, but I have known of a some people who've been able to quit because of it.

Good luck to you.  Let us know how you progress.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
Welcome back, Clarinet Guy! Good luck with your goal, we're here to support you!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
Sorry you are having difficulty quitting it, ClarinetGuy. From what I understand, this is the hardest addiction to conquer.

Sending you all the best vibes in you effort, sir. I hope it goes well for you this time.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
Hey Clarinet Guy. I started smoking at fourteen and smoked until I was forty two. It took me about ten years to quit for good. When my first child was born I tried acupuncture and I quit for a year. A stressful situation occurred and I went back to smoking. When my daughter was born four years later I quit for about nine months.

I finally managed to quit for good eight years ago (January 30 will be eight years). I used an herbal supplement called Smoke Away. I didn't have bad withdraws at all. I'm not sure if it really was the supplement or it was just the right time for me.

I LOVED smoking, but I knew it would eventually kill me or disable me. I had to quit.

I still miss it and still love the smell of smoke, but I know I can never go back. If I can help in any way, let me know.
Bronx bald and bred!

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
As an ex heavy smoker I know how hard it is to quit. I did it using the inhalers but found it very hard. I know quite a few people that did it via champix. These are people that I would never have thought would have given up. Not sure how available it is in the States,

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/varenicline-champixr

As someone who gave it up it will be the best thing you ever do!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:35:05 PM by Slyest »