Author Topic: My First Straight Razor Shave. And the Consequences.  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
My First Straight Razor Shave. And the Consequences.
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
My pharmacist gagged when I happened to mention to him that I'd acquired a straight razor and was planning on giving it a test drive. His concern was based on certain medical knowledge such as I have MS and, under optimum circumstances, am shaky. Actually, why I was even discussing this with him was to find out if there was something better for inadvertent slicing and dicing than the old reliable styptic pencil. His response was to give (well, sell) me alum powder, super soaker up bandages, bandaids and the advice that I take my cell phone with me when I tried this with 911 ready for one touch dialing.

Hours of watching YouTube, particularly the Turkish barbers who seemed to shave with a certain flair, how to hold the razor, best ways to make really, thick, creamy lather made me if not confident, at least somewhat prepared for my mission. (Which was to prove to myself that MS and blade shaving are not incompatible.) In the bathroom, nude from the waist up, lathered with the most perfect lather ever, my carefully researched grip on the blade in place, I approached my face for the first pass. Then the second pass. And the third. In homage to the Turks, and lacking the paper they used, I was wiping the used lather-with seeable hair!!!-on my left thumb. Things are going well, I'm shaving!!!!!! Hot damn, but then I looked down to see  the blood drooling onto the sink. In my rather cavalier attitude, I've damn near sliced off my thumb. Well, at least all the bandaging and powder and bandaids got used. As to the shave? I had to go back and do a second pass with my  double edge but...I'm hopeful as soon as my thumb heals-you need it to pull the skin tight I'll have at it again.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: My First Straight Razor Shave. And the Consequences.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »
Oh, the irony.

Great story, Blitzed. I don't think I ever will have the courage to attempt the straight razor.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
Blitzed, maybe you should get a metal mesh meat cutter's glove for that hand....  lol. 

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
Blitzed,
Opening this thread, I felt like a driver stuck in traffic, then driving by the accident; you want to look, but then again....

If you were getting a close shave with your previous shaving method, why switch?

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
Blitzed,
Opening this thread, I felt like a driver stuck in traffic, then driving by the accident; you want to look, but then again....

If you were getting a close shave with your previous shaving method, why switch?

The thrill of victory the agony of being defeated...and what else have I to do with my days? One can only shave their head so many times before the skin fights back. I shave my face, except for the 'stache, everyday and I could remember my grandfather 65 years ago whizzing right through it. Actually, what I remember was his valet doing it but...perhaps I'm just attempting to continue a family tradition. I'm not sure where one hires valets these days but I'll look into that.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
Blitzed,

The thrill of victory the agony of being defeated...and what else have I to do with my days? One can only shave their head so many times before the skin fights back. I shave my face, except for the 'stache, everyday and I could remember my grandfather 65 years ago whizzing right through it. Actually, what I remember was his valet doing it but...perhaps I'm just attempting to continue a family tradition. I'm not sure where one hires valets these days but I'll look into that.

Thanks, just curious....
Good luck.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »
Wow Blitzed...sorry about your mishap. I only use a straight on my scalp
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Blitzed,

I completely ruined my beard this week trying to trim it myself and I thought just that: I need a valet!  Let me know what you find out!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
Hi Blitz:  Sorry to hear about that, I hope you heal quickly.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »
I'd probably do the same thing. In my case, though, I'd end up slicing more than just a thumb.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Derris The Barber

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »
You have a link to the video(s) you used?
-Derris The Barber

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 03:33:07 AM »
You have a link to the video(s) you used?

I'm not clever enough to know how to include links. Just go to YouTube and enter shave Turkey barber and you'll be on the expressway to Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and selected other places around that interesting country. From my various viewings I'm encouraged to know that one needn't speak Turkish.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:38 AM »
Blitzed, maybe you should get a metal mesh meat cutter's glove for that hand....  lol. 

The good people at the ER, as they stitched up my thumb, made the same suggestion. And they were only the first.....of many.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »
Blitzed,

So sorry to hear about your misfortune on your first attempt with a straight razor. I have bought one but have not used it yet. I hope someday to masetr the art of using one. I have checked out web sites on the subject but I am approaching it cautiously. I have gone to a barber on occasion for the luxury of getting a straight razor shave on the noggin. One told me that it is not worth the trouble of learning how to use one. I look at it as a challenge. When I have gone to a barber for a head shave, I have found that I have been getting a better shave by doing it myself. It is nice to be pampered every now and then.

I hope that your next try goes better. Please keep us posted on hoew it goes for you.

:P :P

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »
Holy crapoli!  You're a brave man, Blitzed.  Just the thought of a straight razor in my hand and anywhere near my melon kicks the pucker factor up into the red.  Best of luck in all future battles.