Author Topic: Am I the only guy who shaves his head BECAUSE  (Read 6072 times)

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
Re: Am I the only guy who shaves his head BECAUSE
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »
I have been shaving since the '90s (when it first became popular) because I liked the look. Then I shaved maybe every 10 days, then I epilated my head -most all except the back. Today, I shave every day/every other day. I am 51 & I have a greying mustache/goatee & wear glasses  I guess I do it because I still like the look & in a way its become more obsessive-compulsive.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
I'm in the category of "my hair looks like crap so I get rid of it"

LOL. This is a great category, and I put myself in it too. My hair is too receded in front and think at the crown and it's all grey and silvery. Plus grey hair has it's own texture! So I just shave it. I got lazy around the holidays and skipped more than a week (OK I admit -- 2 weeks), and I'm seeing why I prefer to be sly.

At times, I do appreciate that stage of growth once the hair starts to feel soft after a couple days of sandpaper. I still kind of like that look. But I agree with Tsuji in that when you do want to sport a super buzzcut it's sometimes best to first shave then skip a couple days. I think buzzing to that length (probably #0000 or #00000 blade), is too much work to maintain. When I buzzed my hair to that length using a balder clipper, I would end up shaving with a razor. I would get paranoid about missing a few hairs and having the cut be uneven. You can't rely on 'feel' with a self buzz as you would with a shave. Easier to shave!

So with 2 weeks growth, I was going to treat myself to a barbershop shave but then I thought about having to wait and pay someone to do work that I can easily do myself. So today, is the day I get myself back on track to being sly.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
Right there with you, Razorhead. I've been lazy over the holiday and I have about two week's growth right now. Now that I can really see my asymmetrical recession, I'm ready to shave it all off. I've had house guests for the last week. Once they leave today and the house is nice and quiet , I'm going to pour myself a drink, take my time, and give myself a nice shave.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »
I'm right there with you Mike. A cold beer and a good shave.

And what's with the asymmetrical recession!!! I have the same crappy hairline.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »
I'm right there with you Mike. A cold beer and a good shave.

And what's with the asymmetrical recession!!! I have the same crappy hairline.

It's funny (not really!) My hair started receding at around 17 and it's still going at 50! Every time I let it grow in a little I notice some new ridiculous pattern, a further recession, bald spot, whatever. The asymmetrical thing is new.  My whole life practically I've been waiting for my hair to find a permanent position or for when the recession will end! As soon as I got used to the way it looked, some new crazy pattern would emerge. I used to clip my hair but shaving with a blade is much better since I don't have to see the ever changing landscape of my hair  8)
Bronx bald and bred!