Author Topic: Happy Veterans' Day!  (Read 16189 times)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Happy Veterans' Day!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »
When I was in high school in the late 1980's I remember him telling me a story about Pearl Harbor....I only remember bits and pieces of that story but he said that he had to get over his fear of flying in a hurry!
Was he at Pearl Harbor on 12.07.1941 ?  I recently heard a story from a friend of ours whose uncle was killed when his ship was was torpedoed.  They only knew he was "at sea".  Recently, under the Freedom of Information Act, they were able to get his records.  It was an ammo ship torpedoed one mile of the coast of NJ.  Due to the fear of panic, the USN did not release information since the ship was so close to shore. That was in 1942; the information was not declassified until around 2010. 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »
wpruitt, sorry for the late response, but I want to say yes.....I asked my aunt, and she said that she was going to look through some of his old documents at the house...Speaking of Pearl Harbor, I have an uncle who was born on the day after Pearl Harbor!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »
Happy Veterans Day 2014! On a side note, everyone on SBG please keep our moderator Doug and his family in your prayers. Doug's father, a Navy veteran, passed away last week. I would also like to take this time to salute Doug's dad as well as all of our other veterans who have passed on and/or gave the ultimate sacrifice (and their families)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 08:10:18 PM »
Salute to all of the vets and what you've done for us and our country.

We took a moment at work today to honor the vets.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »
To all of the members on SBG who have served and are serving....Happy Veterans' Day! And a special salute to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and their families!

+1

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
Thank you again to all that have served!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
Your service is not unnoticed.  Thank you for all you have done for our nation ... and for the world.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt