Author Topic: Hypoallergenic Shaving Products  (Read 3348 times)

MarshalArtist

Hypoallergenic Shaving Products
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:16:36 AM »
I have a great many allergies, and so, products containing menthol (eucalyptus), lanolin, latex/natural rubber, many essential oils/fragrances, and plant extracts are not going to be good for me.  Do any of my sly brothers and sisters have any suggestions for high quality-low allergy products? I am sure there may be others in my situation to a greater or lesser extent.  Your help is much appreciated.

MarshalArtist

Re: Hypoallergenic Shaving Products
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »
OK, I'll kick off this topic by showing you what I currently use.  Right now most of my products are from Origins.  I find I can use them with minimal allergic problems so they are "safe" for me.  (I am looking to branch out though)

For face/head washing I use: Checks and Balances
This is an excellent wash for face and head as it removes oil and dirt without being too drying or leaving a filmy residue on my skin.

Pre Shave I use: Easy Slider Pre-Shave Oil
This is a sesame oil based product with no fragrances.  It contains gerinol and other essential oils that are soothing to the skin and facilitate the oil penetrating the hair shaft.

Shaving Cream I use: Blade Runner
This is a wonderful product for the face.  I never get any irritation when shaving my face with it, but I find it is not as good for the head.  It just does not seem to come close enough for me.  There is a bit of a film that prevents the blades from getting right down against the skin.  I am not sure why this is a problem on my head because I do not find it a problem on my face.

After Shave I use: Fire Fighter
This product is excellent for instantly relieving razor burn on bumps; however, the blade runner is so good at preventing them that I hardly ever need to use it. I have it on hand just in case.

Moisturizer I use Make A Difference Rejuvenating Treatment
This is a light moisturizer that I use for my face and head. I use this one because I need very little by way of moisturizing, but there are other types of this same preparation for those who need moderate or intense moisturizing.

There is another product I use called United States Balancing Tonic This is a toner that I find tightens up my skin and closes my pores so that I get less oil and "sludge" on my skin during the day.  I do not know if this is an essential for head shavers like us, but I like to use it.

So, that's what I use.  Please share with us what other products you know of that are of high quality and hypoallergenic.  Please especially suggest a new shave cream as I need one that lets me get right down close. 

MarshalArtist

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
Has anyone tried the BaldStyle products?  I was looking at them and I wonder if the unscented shave lotion would be a good substitute for the Origins shave cream I use.   @n(

Offline Navatear

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
Newbie report it. Enable Signature with it

Marshal S.

Re: Re: Hypoallergenic Shaving Products
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »
What's that?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:34:01 AM »
Marshal, I hear that the Art of Shaving (note the key words "I hear") may sell the hypoallergenic shaving products that you may be seeking....Otherwise, as much as it may suck, you may have to shop online. Good luck though.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Marshal S.

Re: Re: Re: Hypoallergenic Shaving Products
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:39 AM »
Marshal, I hear that the Art of Shaving (note the key words "I hear") may sell the hypoallergenic shaving products that you may be seeking....Otherwise, as much as it may suck, you may have to shop online. Good luck though.

Art of Shaving is just high end Proctor & Gamble.  Frankly, there are better products out there for less money in my most humble and uncritical opinion... ;)
Thank you Harry.  I thought maybe this thread would be helpful to those with allergies by sharing resources.  I see I am in a smaller niche than I thought I would be here on SBG. 

I'm still unclear as to what Navatear is talking about.  ???

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »
Interesting... great thread Marshal!

I don't know that I am allergic to anything in particular, except anti-perperant, but my doc had also told me as you get older sometimes you develop allergies to things you weren't allergic to before.

I use Proraso (which I think has menthol and/or eucalyptus in it which rules it out for you  :( ) - but I am always digging around for new products to try :)

Have you looked at perhaps a shaving soap rather than a cream? Good luck!

Marshal S.

Re: Re: Hypoallergenic Shaving Products
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »
You can develop allergies at any time, it is true.  Like my allergy to the pepper they use in Szechuan food. . .I loved Szechuan. . .

In other news, I discovered Van der Hagen shave soaps are actually hypoallergenic.  They are also wonderfully well priced at $1.40 per puck.  One can also purchase them at most any store here in the US.  I understand Col. Conk is the same product line as well.

Mystic Waters is an artisanal soap company in Maryland that makes very good, shaving soaps.  She, Michelle, has also been tirelessly working with me to discover how she can make her products more allergy friendly.  She deserves our support based on client services alone.  I know some here are already familiar with these products and will probably lend their support as well.  Her website is: mystic4men.com .