Author Topic: Trimming Your 'Stache Around Your Upper Lip  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Trimming Your 'Stache Around Your Upper Lip
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »
Unless you've given up and let the fur cascade over your whole mouth, you, like me, have to trim the 'stache above my upper lip. Clippers are quick but....can lack the definition I like leaving, as they do, straight lines. My preferred way is to use scissors made for that purpose and while they work, hair falls on my basin but, more unpleasantly, in my mouth. I was complaining about this to the guy who does my tats and who also has a moustache and he had a helpful tip. He suggested that I take a very small bit of the Aquaphor petroleum jelly I put on new tats on both edges of the scissors. Again, you only need a very little. First time I tried this, worked as advertised. When I was through I had the shape I like and the stray bits of coarse hair on my scissors. Depending on how much work you're doing you may wish to clean it once or twice and reapplying the gel. The one thing to remember here is to remember to use a very thick gel, Vaseline and similar don't work nor do anything that has "cream" as part of the title. Hope this helps if this is a problem you've encountered.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Trimming Your 'Stache Around Your Upper Lip
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Blitzed....I personally have Andis clippers (2 versions) that do a pretty accurate job when the lip fur extends a bit too far for my liking.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »
That's a great tip!!

I've used the sames Conair Beard Trimmer for almost 10 years and it's worked well for me.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:53:23 AM »
Good tip, Blitzed.  When I trim my mustache, I normally use a beard trimmer and end up with the cuttings in my mouth as well.  Lately, I have "let the fur cascade over my whole mouth" and resisted trimming.  Trying to let the center get enough length to reach to the tips.  The length is currently about 1-1/2 inches.  I have been using "Got2be Glued" to hold the hair to the sides and out of my mouth.  Having a "narrow upper lip and mustache" the extra length also adds to the fullness of my mustache.  It does give me an "odd" look when it is not combed to the sides and held in place with product.
SlyBeard