Author Topic: HB ATX: First Impression or From Doubting Timmer to ATX Fan  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
HB ATX: First Impression or From Doubting Timmer to ATX Fan
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
My history with HB products has been rocky.  I tried the original HB (no wheels) and nearly bled to death from all the cuts and burns.  I swore never again.

I didn't know about the HB Sport until my former son in law mentioned it and I figured I'd give it a try.  It shaved great.  My only problem with it was that the blades seemed to dull very fast and they just didn't seem to have the things I've come to expect from a cartridge razor.  Installing a lubricant strip for example.  First, all of the stores in my area that did carry HB products, just stopped and I didn't feel like ordering online for something as simple as a blade cartridge when I had a perfectly good razor for my face that would shave my head.  Then I let my hair grow out for about 8 months.  I hung onto my Sport though.  I always knew I'd go back to shaving my head and figured I could order my cartridges three months at a time if I wanted to.

Heard about and saw the ATX and thought to myself, "WTH?"  One of HB's biggest pitches used to be, "The blade's up front, where it SHOULD be." or something like that.  And now you want to move it back, behind a set of double wheels?  Please, stop it, you're gonna hurt yourself.  But the cartridges looked more like a cartridge SHOULD look.  Glide strip.  Good spacing between the blades for easy de-gunking.  Seems like they were thinking.  And it looks even cooler than the original.  More like it's made for a hand than ever. 

So I picked one up with an extra set of cartridges.  First impression from the pharmacist lady?  "Awww, that's so cute!"  Well, she has a point.  I made the standard, "Yeah, some of us never did give up our Hot Wheels." joke.  Got home from all my Saturday running around and, sigh, I despise blister packaging.  Got out the knife sharpener, sliced open the packaging and then sharpened my knife again. 

I shave in the shower.  Scrubbed my head with a nylon scrubby thingy and some Nivea hair and body wash for men.  Lathered up with Nivea shave gel.  Shaved my face with my Hydro 3 and then took the first few passes with the ATX.  I shave with my right hand and leave my left hand unrinsed with the leftover shaving cream.  Made long passes front to back, turned the ATX around, long passes back to front.  Re-lather, find the stripes and take them down. 

I did have to touch up my normal problem spaces with my Hydro 3, but I have to say, the ATX DID shave closer than my Hydro 3 does.  I think given time, I'll have it down to where I don't need to touch up so much. 

I know one of these days I'll throw the HB4 cartridge on my sport and see how that rolls for me. 

Now, just have to figure out, do I want the Shark or the Eclipse for Christmas. 

One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
Re: HB ATX: First Impression or From Doubting Timmer to ATX Fan
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
Nice write-up Timmer.

I like the ATX but I do find it doesn't seem to shave as close as my Fusion Power does. Maybe I haven't done it right?

I also found the description on changing the blades hard to understand, but it IS a nice product. It's rather fun to "drive around" my head... :) I am thinking about giving one of the ATX kits to a friend as a gift, they like cars and I think it would be a great "fun" present.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
As for shark or eclipse, ultimately that's going to boil down to your preference (sport or ATX).
I love the shark, I call it a sting ray though (car theme and all).
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »
Bought myself a Shark for my birthday during their labor day sale and have to say that I'm very happy I did.  There's something about the weight of the Shark that makes a world of difference while shaving.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Enter your email address: