Author Topic: HB Sport users: Do you need a separate stick razor for cleanup?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
HB Sport users: Do you need a separate stick razor for cleanup?
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »
I am getting really tired of having to buy two separate razor brands in order to shave my head. I use the HB Sport (with a Sensor3 attached) for the majority of the work, and I clean up spots that I just can't seem to hit with the Sport (sides, corners and "turns" on my head) with a Hydro 3. I would just use the stick that came with my original Sensor3, but it doesn't really hug and glide over the turns on my head like the Schick stick does. However, I'm getting really tired of spending the money on two separate razor brands. It's getting expensive! I decided to pull out the ATX again today; I thought I'd give it another chance, since I remember it dealing with the sides of my head better than the Sport could. But I remember why I stopped using it also: just not as close a shave.

For any of you guys who manage to use just the Sport to complete your head shave routine, how do you manage to get around those hard-to-reach side and turn areas? I would like to know this secret. I've been shaving for around 7 years now, so I'm no noob, but I still feel like I'm missing something here.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: HB Sport users: Do you need a separate stick razor for cleanup?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:09:23 AM »
I use the sport with HB3 blades. I also have a Gillette Power Fusion with the blades that come with it for the trim.

Here's how I do the blade math.  If I used just the Sport, I'd go though one blade per week.  If I used just the Gillette, I'd use one blade per week.  If I use BOTH, the blades last two weeks.  Net cost? The same.  No increase in cost to use two razors.  The only minor inconvenience is stocking two types of blades.  I can live with that.

I still use the Sport as a primary lawnmower because it is fast, and give a really smooth head shave. It's fun to use. 

You are right, it is a bit of a challenge to hit EVERY spot on the head. Especially the edges near the ears, and spots near bumps, lumps.  I also have a flat depression spot where the cowlick is. The Gillette just seems to hit this better, as I need to pass over that spot from 8 directions to get it really smooth.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 05:18:46 AM »
I use a Sport and use a stick for clean up just above the ears only. The Sport gets the rest done right!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Bespoke

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »
Here's my suggestion:Use a DE (double edge) Safety Razor! The blades are cheaper and the shave is a true BBS shave!

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »
I use just the Sport with the HB3 cartridge and HeadSlick.

I go full strokes from front to back and then  reverse it on my finger and go back to front.

I then hold it by the side and then do around the ears by shaving upwards. I then, holding it the same way, do two small spots on the back of my neck on each side going upwards on a diagonal.

For those spots, it took a bit of trial and error to find out the best way to hold the razor and the best direction in which to shave.

That does it all for me - smooth all over. If I miss anywhere, I notice it when I apply HeadLube afterwards, but that's rare.

Now I do have MPD, so not much to shave on the top itself - but I suspect that that wouldn't be much of a problem area for most anyways.

Offline Brade

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:32 AM »
I use the HB Sport with the HB3 blades, then use my Panasonic ES8243A wet/dry electric razor around the ears. The Panasonic gets almost as close as the HB.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:03:02 AM by Brade »

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
I use the sport with HB3 blades. I also have a Gillette Power Fusion with the blades that come with it for the trim.

Here's how I do the blade math.  If I used just the Sport, I'd go though one blade per week.  If I used just the Gillette, I'd use one blade per week.  If I use BOTH, the blades last two weeks.  Net cost? The same.  No increase in cost to use two razors.  The only minor inconvenience is stocking two types of blades.  I can live with that.

You would think that would be the case, but I replace both razors after 3-4 uses. The shave seems too rough for my liking if I go much longer than that. I think the Sensor3 would be good for those four shaves by itself, if I could only manage to get my head totally smooth with just that one razor.

I use just the Sport with the HB3 cartridge and HeadSlick.

I go full strokes from front to back and then  reverse it on my finger and go back to front.

I then hold it by the side and then do around the ears by shaving upwards. I then, holding it the same way, do two small spots on the back of my neck on each side going upwards on a diagonal.

I have a hard time holding the HB Sport on the sides like that. It feels awkward. So you hold it like this guy does in this clip?: http://youtu.be/NfQXnpcFPtE?t=2m40s I can't seem to master that technique. Maybe I should practice it more.

Here's my suggestion:Use a DE (double edge) Safety Razor! The blades are cheaper and the shave is a true BBS shave!

Hmm. I've never really looked at these before. Just watched a few YouTube vids of guys shaving their domes with them though. Maybe I will look into those a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:56:58 AM by cuzzin »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
Hey cuzzin, I hear what you're saying. I used to have the same problem around the above the ear area. With time you will gain better control over your HB Sport.
I suggest you start slow and make a curve following the ear, getting closer as you go. It helps to hold the top of  your ear down with the other hand as you do it. It may seem awkward at first, but you'll get used to it with time. Remember, don't move the blade end from side to side, but move it as a unit.

I use the HB Sport with a double blade, and it gets me the closest shave. I have found that a razor with less blades gives the best shave, and I will even use a Bic single blade at times. The multi blades are a gimmick that we're led to believe, as with many things, that more is better. Not the case.
Give it a shot, and I hope things will get easier for you.   O0

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Cuzzin,

That clip shows exactly the way I hold it for around my ear. The only difference is that I pretty much just go straight up.

I watched that clip multiple times before I first shaved my head, thus, since it is how I learned, my technique is very similar to what Jack shows.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
Same here as everyone else. I use a stick razor over my ears.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »
You can always use the FaceBlade by HeadBlade which will use the same blades you use on your HeadBlade Sport.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Titus13

• Bald guy in New York
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
I use the schick xtreme 3 for clean up
GI

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
Hmm, so the past few shaves, I decided to try going back to using the Sensor Excel stick, which my Sensor3 cartridge can easily attach to, along with my HB Sport. I don't remember exactly why I decided to stop using the Sensor stick in favor of a Hydro, but I think I'm getting some pretty good shaves using just the Sensor3 cartridge all the way through. The stick is still necessary for cleanup parts, but at least I'm using only one razor this way. And it's gotta be easier on your scalp to use the same razor rather than dragging two different razor brands over your head each shave. Downside is, as mentioned, the razors dull quicker, so I'm probably gonna end up tossing them after every three shaves (instead of four). I seriously have no idea how some of you guys manage to go a week or two with the same razor. It just becomes too rough a shave for me after three or four shaves.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
I don't know if - or what - I am doing wrong, but I do not get a terribly close shave with the Sport (or the ATX).

I have read a number of guys on here that love and it works for them, I like the idea and design of it, but for some reason I get left with lots of stubble all over. I even tried Tyler's suggestions of long slow strokes from the front to the back and then reversing that.

I usually end up cleaning up with a Fusion Power, which I get great shaves with! The ear area is the hardest area to 'detail' for me, as it seems to be for others.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 05:41:03 AM »
I don't know if - or what - I am doing wrong, but I do not get a terribly close shave with the Sport (or the ATX).

I have read a number of guys on here that love and it works for them, I like the idea and design of it, but for some reason I get left with lots of stubble all over. I even tried Tyler's suggestions of long slow strokes from the front to the back and then reversing that.

I usually end up cleaning up with a Fusion Power, which I get great shaves with! The ear area is the hardest area to 'detail' for me, as it seems to be for others.

I find the most important thing to remember with the Sport is to not put pressure directly over/on the blades, but to put some pressure directly over/on the wheels. As long as the wheels are in close contact, I find the blade angle to be just right, follows the contours, and gives a close shave.

This is with the HB3 blades. Not sure if using other blades with a different adapter might require a different technique - in particular, I would think the HB4/6 adapter would work differently as it moves the pivot point away from the centre of the blade cartridge.

The ATX, which I could not master, needs varying pressure on the blades depending on the contours.