Author Topic: Not "Getting" Shaving with a DE Razor?  (Read 3848 times)

Marshal S.

Not "Getting" Shaving with a DE Razor?
« on: October 12, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »
Is there such a thing as actually being unable to use a DE razor?  What did people do before we had these other types?  I am wondering if the type/style of razor might make the difference.  Of course, I'll discover the best one for me costs $2,256.49. . .that seems to be my luck.  :D

What are other's thoughts on this topic?  I am fairly new myself, but I seem to do better each time.  Are there people who just can't do it?

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Not "Getting" Shaving with a DE Razor?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:57:21 AM »
Hi Marshal,
Out of interest, are you talking head or face shaving?

Different people like different kinds of razors and blades, some are more aggressive than others, so some people find some products too mild, some too harsh.

What's your set-up?  What razor, blade, soap or cream?  Brush?  Prep? All of these things can have an effect on the quality of the shave.  Don't forget though, this is a skill which doesn't just fall into place without a little thought on your part.

Marshal S.

Re: Re: Not "Getting" Shaving with a DE Razor?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
Up until now, I have just used it for my face.  (For those curious)  ;)

My question came not from any trouble I'm having.  I am "getting" it better each time.  My question is about whether there are some who just do not have it in them despite a strong desire to learn, ( I realize there are those people who have tried and prefer cartridges), or if equipment, preparation, the "right blade", and coaching are all one needs.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
I switched to a de for face shaving, more for cost, it annoys me how much cartridges cost, a de is less forgiving, and you need to find the right blade, (I bought a sample pack from amazon) but I now find I get an amazing shave. I do use it on my head at weekends, mainly because I have more time, and it gives a much closer shave than my mach 3, with little shadow, couple that with a quality shaving cream and its a great shave, you do need to keep it up, your skin gets accustomed to it, and I now get almost no irritation

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
Seing what I see on here thre does seem to be a move towards Up market retro safety razors

Marshal S.

Re: Re: Not "Getting" Shaving with a DE Razor?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
I am like Geeman in that I hated paying $28 ($3.50 per) for eight cartridges that I will throw out.  For a bit more one time, I bought my Merkur 34C and pay between 10-50¢ per for blades that, frankly, seem to be better and sharper.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:23 AM »
I would think that for the vast majority using a DE , brush, quality soap or cream etc is something that can be learned.  I'm sure it's not for all people, but whether that's because they believe new=best or whether they don't have the patience to learn something new I'm not sure.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »
Bit of both I reckon

Offline rico

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »
I was into DE shaving some time ago.  It is enjoyable, but it's not fast and foolproof.  The last thing I want to face after a late night is a basin of hot water, a shaving brush with warm lather and cold steel.

The feel of DE shaving and cartridge shaving are totally different.  A cartridge makes shaving like using a paintbrush. With DE shaving, the shaving angle is critical and you will learn every contour of your face.

There are several good kinds of razors to start with on eBay -- the Gillette Fatboy,  the Gillette SuperSpeed, the uber-basic Gillette Tech, etc. etc.  As you might guess, one can go way too far on obscure and fabulous razors at auction.  If you want a brand-new razor, Merkur  is a leading DE maker.

Blades for a beginner are important.  I would suggest trying a sampler pack from a place like westcoastshaving.  The Derby Extra and the Dorco Platinum 300 are especially mild blades.  I love Dorcos. A great shave without nicks or cuts.  Start slow and hone your skills before using the sharpest  blades.

I was looking at cartridges for HB at Walmart for goodness sake and was shocked by the prices. Retro blades like Atra Plus was almost $2 apiece.  I may go back to DE shaves.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
I just started myself this past weekend after being a die-hard cartridge shaver.  I use the Gillette "Fatboy" adjustable with Derby blades.  I'm still getting the hang of it, however I like it.

As far as prepping, I usually shower beforehand.  If not, I use hot water and a good shaving cream with shea butter applied with a brush.  I work against the grain and DO take my time.  Yes, I'll get some bleeders, but it's part of the learning curve.  I'll apply more cream to "trouble spots" on my head.  Once I'm satisfied, I do a cold water rinse, witch hazel and styptic roll-on pen.  I've also done the ice-cube rub as well.  I also plan to buy some aftershave as well.

I've done my best shaving at night when I have the time.  Days can be a little pressuring with trying to get my son to school and myself to work.  My shave tonight left me a baby-butt smooth head.

It takes time, however it's worth it.  DE shaving is cheaper in the long run, and when worked right will give you that much-desired clean head.  Good luck!
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline rico

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »
Many even shave in the shower.  I can't, way too much multi-tasking for me.

But that reminded of a key trick to DE shaving:  let your warm lather soak into your whiskers.  If you hear little crunch noises as you shave, your prep was not good or you didn't let the lather soak.

Enter your email address: