Author Topic: HB3 vs HB4  (Read 3979 times)

Offline homer3142

• Learning the way of Sly
HB3 vs HB4
« on: July 21, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
I've always loved the headblade sport, but all the local stores have recently switched from HB3 blades to HB4.  The HB3 blades were awesome, I could get a decent shave on the first pass thru, and then a really smooth shave after a second application of headslick and second pass shave.

I've tried out the HB4's, but they are like trying to shave my head with a toothbrush.  I can go 4, 5, 6 rounds of headslick + shave and still have many patches left that are entirely untouched.  I figure I must be doing something wrong, because if this was normal then literally no one would ever buy the product. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the HB4 blades to actually cut?  I do love the non-clogging design that actually lets hair flow thru, as opposed to the HB3 which completely fails if you go more than 2 days without shaving.  Or if not, anyone know any good places to get HB3 blades, preferably at a discount?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: HB3 vs HB4
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »
With the introduction of the ATX I believe the HeadBlade 4 blade cartridges are replacing many of the HeadBlade 3 cartridges.   The best place to get the HB3 blades is on HeadBlade's website.  Go to http://HTTP://slybaldguys.com/headblade to get 20% off.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Raybz

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
Your NOT the only one!

I used the Sport with HB3s and loved it, bought an ATX and with the HB4 that came with it I hated it
So I tried the HB3  in the ATX and once again was loving it.  Only place for me to get HB3s is (like Tyler said) from the Headblade website. They have a packace deal buy 3 get one free so with the SBG discount it's like $38 for 4 4 packs

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:11:29 AM »
Same with me regarding the HB3s, except I'm sticking with the Sport.

I've used the Sport for a year and a half and have loved it since day 1.

I tried out the ATX (with both the HB4 and HB6) when it came out and just could not get as good a shave with it.

I've also tried HB3 with ATX and HB4 with the Sport, but for me, nothing comes close to the ease and closeness of the Sport with HB3.

For me, being in Canada, the shipping (and/or duty) is often the killer. There is a local drugstore that carries the Sport and the HB3s (although at a higher price than the online ones). Hopefully, that will continue as we seem to be behind the US market - they just started carrying the new version with the black finger ring instead of the yellow a couple of months ago.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »
Totally agree- I posted in one thread the same exact issue. ATX does not work for me- he Sport with HB 3 is the best- it shaved me quickly and well. Now that the stores only carry HB 4 I tried it in the Sport. Still did not work. Guess I will order HB 3 and stick with my trusty Sport. Wish HB kept the supply up with stores.

Offline Brade

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:21:47 AM »
First of all I've been shaving my head for the last 20+ years so I'm not a novice.  I've been using the Head blade Sport for the last several years with the Atra Blades or the Dollar General two blade cartridges with good results. I found the Head blade 3 blade cartridges one time at my local Walgreens and they worked great but they don't carry them anymore.  Yesterday I bought the new HB4 cartridges from Walgreens and thought, WOW 4 blades these have got to be better.   What a disappointment. There is no way I can use these with my Head blade Sport, it takes way too much pressure to get the blades down onto my scalp, resulting on missed patches of hair and/or nicks and burns.

Too bad Head Blade doesn't supply Walgreens with the HB3 as these worked really good for me. I guess it's back to Dollar General for the really cheap blades and my HB Sport.  I guess it's the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".