Author Topic: I love shaving...  (Read 1794 times)

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
I love shaving...
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
I do.  And admittedly I tend to be a little OCD about things that I really enjoy, but I am really embracing this as a lifestyle.

Before I shaved my head the first time, I hadn't shaved with any type of blade since I was 18.  I'm now 46.  All these years I'd done any facial grooming with the same clippers I trimmed my hair with.  My grandfather (RIP) was a classic gentleman in every since of the word.  He was a huge fan of the traditional wet shaving method.  He had it all: a couple nice DEs from WW2, a stand with a gorgeous marble base, various shaving soaps, brushes, etc.  I was always mildly interested in shaving, having watched him for years but never pursued it.  When I finally made the plunge a month ago, the first thing I thought of was "where are Gramps shaving items?".  But of course with him passing over a year ago, no one has any idea where they went.  I so hate that I missed out on keeping that part of him alive.

But regardless, each time I lather up the dome, I can see him in my minds eye, brushing thick lather on to his face, and taking meticulous care shaving around his prized mustache that every one said made him look like Billy D. Williams.  I still miss him but I know he is smiling down on me... watching me shave  8)

Here's a pic of my Gramps, before he got sick....

** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: I love shaving...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »
Your Gramps was a handsome fella, and looks like a character!  Thanks for sharing the memory and photograph.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
Great memories, sir.

Isn't it great how the male rituals we observed in our childhood can trigger those memories when we follow them ourselves.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:16:26 AM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
now thats one sharp dressed man...love that jacket

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
Thanks guys! Yeah my Gramps was a hell of a sharp dresser!  He had tons of suits and jackets.  He was a church Elder for most of my life so you know he had his Sunday best LOL 

I notice lately that lots of things I do trigger memories of him.  He has the most influence on my life of any male I came in contact with.  He was also a master fisherman!  He caught anything from Salmon to Bullheads but loved catching his Bluegills!  We'd come home with buckets of them and be outside cleaning them until the wee hours of the morning LOL  Then have a fish fry breakfast with grits, eggs, and Tang!  O0

Thanks for letting me share my memories :)
** Wutwutman **

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
wutwutman....Thanks for sharing the story and photo of your granddad....FWIW, he does slightly resemble Billy Dee Williams in that picture.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:05:27 AM »
That is an awesome photo, thank you for sharing it and your memories :)
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
Thanks  :)

@Bayou Sly - I'll hafta to see if I can dig up some of his Army pics.. he really looked like Billy D. when he was younger... lol
** Wutwutman **