Author Topic: Unisightly Razor bumps HELP  (Read 5817 times)

Offline BigHawk1228

• Learning the way of Sly
Unisightly Razor bumps HELP
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
 >:( So I write this message angry and irritated but not out of the fight. I have terrible razor bumps in the back of my head. I am a compete novice when it comes to shaving my head, however, once I shaved it it felt so smooth and lovely to the touch. I didn't have all of the necessary tools for shaving my head. I only had the shaving cream, razor, exfoliating wash, and moisturizer. However, I wanted the smooth feel and forgot that going against the grain has serious consequences. After 2 days of smooth head I woke up the third day with the back of my head covered in bumps. They were extremely painful at first but I have been applying moisturizer every day ( mind you it has only been 3 days after bumps occurred ) and I have been using alcohol prep wipes on them. However, they are looking like regular pimples now and I can't shave over them because that will make them worse. I need help. What do you guys use to keep your head at least 95% razor bump free?

Offline Tracer

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Unisightly Razor bumps HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:34:08 AM »
1st thing don't shave for atleast a week, let it heal
Go with the grain, even if there's visible shorthairs it's not worth the irritation going against
Nivea aftershave+ gold bond+ oil free moisturizer always worked for me.. and I'm an acne prone guy so keep it moisturized!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »
The next time you shave against the grain, rub your head with an ice cube. Also, invest in some witch hazel. There is a product at WalMart called Bump Patrol that will help clear or reduce your current bumps within three days. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:35:09 AM »
For me, razor bumps occurred when the razor didn't properly glide over my head.  Usually this was due to a dull blade cartridge or using a shaving cream that didn't allow the razor to glide smoothly.  If I didn’t use an aftershave balm that also contributed the problem.  My head will be smooth, but at the end of the day or the next morning I'd have bumps, particularly on the corners of my head.

I use a headblade (sport or ATX depending on the day) and I try to make sure that I have a fresh cartridge on it.  I also use HeadSlick.  Personally, I find that it makes the razor glide over my head better than other creams.  Plus, it’s mentholated.  So I find that it cools my skin during the shave.  It even leaves it feeling little cooled after the shave.   Finally I top it off with an aftershave.  Started using the Gillette aftershave and Nivea aftershave balm, but moved on to Taylor of Old Bond street.

This combination is what worked best for me and I can’t recall experiencing razor bumps in the past two or three years.

Hope this helps out  :)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
Sometimes i get some 'spots'. Did after shaving yesterday! Been moisturizing now. Would Headslick help against it?

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:39:32 PM »
I got terrible bumps on the back of my neck when I first started shaving.  I used Witch Hazel and Bump Patrol which both helped, but I am convinced that my head just needed time to get used to being shaved all the time and the skin needed to toughen.  I powered through and kept shaving and now I don't have that problem and the bumps are a distant memory.