Author Topic: backpacking Europe soon. How to maintain shaved head?  (Read 4538 times)

Offline prodigy1290

• Sly Guy in Training
backpacking Europe soon. How to maintain shaved head?
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:50:26 AM »
I shaved my head with clippers every 2 days. Can I do this while hopping from hostel to hostel or too much work or effort?

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: backpacking Europe soon. How to maintain shaved head?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 05:57:49 AM »
I'd take the clippers just in case you have electric, or get some battery operated clippers so you don't even need AC.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »
Interesting question .... extension ...

When traveling internationally where water is not sanitized, what kind of risks do you guys experience shaving with razor blade. How much risk of getting infection if you nick yourself and are washing with tap water?  I know they always warn to not drink the tap water.  how about using tap water to clean a wound, as in shaving nick?

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:12:41 AM »
I shaved my head with clippers every 2 days. Can I do this while hopping from hostel to hostel or too much work or effort?

Where are you travelling in Europe ?

Water is fine to drink almost everywhere. We are developed !

Beware of voltage differences: US is 110 volts, UK is 240 volts. Most others in Europe use 220 volts.

Remember, on this side of the Atlantic it's metric: metres, litres and grammes. And we do the 24 hour clock - eg 20:00 is 8pm.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »
My partner and I road tripped round New Zealand, and lived in a tent for 40 days. I just used my trusty headblade, heated water on our stove if we could spare the gas, never went more than 3 days. If you want it, it's easy!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »

Where are you travelling in Europe ?

Water is fine to drink almost everywhere. We are developed !

Beware of voltage differences: US is 110 volts, UK is 240 volts. Most others in Europe use 220 volts.

Remember, on this side of the Atlantic it's metric: metres, litres and grammes. And we do the 24 hour clock - eg 20:00 is 8pm.

Europe=Very Civilised. No problems. 3rd world might be a little chancy.

Offline prodigy1290

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:45:59 AM »
hey guys thanks for the response :)

very much appreciated.

anyway, i leave in a month. i really don't know if i should go out and buy a cordless clipper (pretty pricey and ive heard the batteries never last, any suggestions?) or bring my own wired clippers that i use to shave my head with?

if i bring my own "wired" clippers and i am staying in hostels. where do i shave my head? in the shared bathroom? (is that appropriate?, will people complain?)

i like to shave my head and beard to a 0 every other day. thinking i should just drop 200 on some wireless clippers.

thanks.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 05:34:25 AM »
As you clip so short why not take no clippers at all and just get an ATX or stick shaver and some spare cartridges?
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:09:35 AM »
Why not rely on "local talent"? That is to say the barbers that are in every small town in Europe, both Eastern and Western. Most of them are glad to have the head shaving business, your Euros and, as you'll find, a professionally done peeling lasts longer. In some places there are still barber shops that offer bathing facilities and to follow a hot tub or shower with a great shave, both head and face, is a luxury. Sure, you'll spend some money but..hauling batteries or transformers for an electric razor are bulky and assume you'll always have access to any electricity. The main thing is....this is a trip for you to enjoy and not worry about your appearance, whether you just got rained on, slept in a lay by or ate something the origin of which you're not certain. Just as they do in the United States, they sell dispoable razors and tinned foam in Europe. The trick to back packing is to start out with little more than you'll actually need. One hint; Don't wear sneakers, get a pair of sturdy walking shoes now and break them in. IF you must wear sneakers to be cool take at least two pair; after a day of tramping about, they'll need a day off to regain the air in their soles which is what makes them comfortable. Have a great time...!

Offline prodigy1290

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I quite havn't shaved my head with a razor quite yet. Still holding off on it. I like the stubble look. You are right about carrying around batteries all the time and what not. My facial hair grows faster than my head on my hair so its nice to just trim it with clippers every other day. Also going to be on a budget, and don't really want to pay for haircuts while going around.

With that being said, my indecisiveness isn't helping. Maybe order a cheap cordless clipper and just hope it doens't break.

Offline prodigy1290

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
thanks for the tip on walking shoes. ill take anymore you got :p

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 12:35:53 AM »
My advise would be to headblade it in the shower. If you take clippers you will need adapters etc depending in where you are going?

Also clippers are big and heavy and a pain to carry around IMO.

Good luck
Lynchy