Author Topic: Shaving rash on the neck  (Read 9594 times)

Offline pickettwayne

• Sly Guy in Training
Shaving rash on the neck
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:02:04 AM »
How do you guys stop this from happening?

I'm using a good blade (Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power) but still get shaving rash on my neck.

Any suggestions?

Offline Jay

• Sly
Re: Shaving rash on the neck
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
Actually, the Fusion is NOT a good blade.

Its very design encourages ingrown hairs.

Look at Gilette's advertising. They show you how the first couple of blades lift the hair up, the remaining blades lop it off and then the hair sinks back into its hole.

WHAM. Ingown hair.

Are you using shite goo in a can? Look at the ingredients. Propane and butane. On your face!

Use non-aerosol shave soaps, preferable with a brush (helps with ingrown hairs). Use a razer with fewer blades. Ideally, use a DE style with a single blade.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: Shaving rash on the neck
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
wise words from j, I am a recent de convert, no more razor burn! I cant believe how much difference using a shaving cream and brush made, never going back to aerosols. ...I have used the de on my noggin, and it gives a much smoother shave, if you're careful....there is a definite knack, got it down on the face, almost there on the bonce...and at £6 for 200 blades....its pretty cheap!

Offline pickettwayne

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »
Thanks guys.

Looks like I'm going to be getting a de razor from now on then.

Anyone had any experience using Head Slick on the face?

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
You could use it on your face, but why?

England is the home of so many quality shaving soap manufacturers. Products that are so much better for your face.

Don't get me wrong. Headblade products are great, but there are better ones out there for a fraction of the cost.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:04:01 AM »
I just discovered the real shaving co. range, were half price in morrisons, really good stuff, the shaving cream is amazing, and the post shave balm is great

Offline Aiden

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
I use to suffer with terrible shaving rash on my neck, bumps and ingrown hair.  I now have found the secret isn't actually anything i was doing wrong with the razor or foam, all i changed was i now moisturise every day and use a serum and now no more rash. Im not sure if im allowed to name products but can PM you what I use if you need. I will however use the tips above aswell, sounds great.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:23:49 AM by Aiden »

Offline notquitethere

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
Tend skin or a homemade (google it)version of it works well when I get the neck bumps.  I sometimes get them related to which shirt I am wearing, some just rub a little funny along the collar.

Offline sheffdave

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
Multi blade razors are not good for the skin. The first blade is dull, its job is to lift up your skin for the other blades to chop the hair causing ingrown hairs and rashes. I'd have a look at a DE razor and some blades, it takes a bit of practice but the results are worth it and the blades are very cheap, 100 astra or gillette blades for around £10

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
Everyone is different, what works for one may not work on another.

I personally like the Fusion Pro-Glide. For me, that's a good blade, it gives me the smoothest shave I've ever had. One thing that helps with reduced irritation is that I shave in the shower and the steam helps the razor glide smoother and easier.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"