Author Topic: How do you tan the dome??  (Read 7145 times)

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
  • been shaving since 5-14-2012
How do you tan the dome??
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:23:32 AM »
Hey guys, so as you might know I originally went sly in Alaska where sun wants an issue and the other Slys domes where not tan. But now that I'm here in Utah and working outside I want to get some color on my head. What I have been doing may be defeating that purpose. I have been applying this Loreal "comfort max after shave balm" it has SPF 15 in it and it keeps my head nice and smooth the ought out the day. Only problem is idk if it is deafening the purpose of getting color up there with the spf 15 and it BURNS for the first hour and a half after you first apply it. Any other suggestions? What do you guys use? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

sly for life!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: How do you tan the dome??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
You'll see, throughout the forum, many longtime SBG's preach protecting the dome (getting color at the expense of skin cancer is just not worth it). When the sun is out, I try and get a little color each day. However, when I'm in the sun for an extended period of time, I always wear a hat, and use sunscreen on the exposed areas (ears, neck, face). This probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but it's a safe way to go.

Also, I'm surprised you found the L'Oreal burns. I've used that stuff before and loved it!

Good luck.
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »
An hour or two in the sun once or twice a week has been working for me.
Hair is over rated.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »
I find it depends greatly on the type of sun exposure your area gets. When I was on vacation last year in the week I spent in California I got a nice tan.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »
Jergens make a realistic sunless tan I have tried for just a bit of color without it being orange. Others here have said good things about it.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:16:14 AM »
+ 1 on protecting your scalp.

It's not worth cancer for some vanity. Just wear sunscreen as you normally would and you will gain some colour over time ;)
Lynchy

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
  • been shaving since 5-14-2012
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
Thanks guys i think I'm just gonna play it safe and stick with the sunscreen.
sly for life!!!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
Always be careful with exposure to the sun - a bald scalp burns very easily.  Last Saturday was a beautiful spring day: sunny, 70 degrees and gentle, cool breeze.  I drove around with the sunroof open and then worked in the yard for a while, all without sunscreen.  Saturday night, my scalp was pink and sore.  Today, it's peeling.  So, take everyone's advice and use both sunscreen and a cap to protect your head.  It may take a while to get your skin tone to even out, but that's preferable to the burn and peel!!!!

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
I have only exposed my head to a few hours of sun at a time but always put factor 30 sunscreen on. Over the last 3 weeks I've got a nice healthy glow but you've got to be so careful. I wear a hat a lot to stop burning my head. It's a good excuse to get some great headgear sorted!

Offline slane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
I go with either SPF 15 skin lotion or SPF 30 sunscreen depending if I am going to be out in the sun for 2 hours or 6.  I really want that tan dome, but since I have very little melanin in my skin, it is much safer to just slather on the SPF and go for the slow-and-steady strategy for tanning.

I think that SPF 15 is a nice compromise between getting some colour and avoiding skin cancer.  Just a personal opinion.

Offline DonM

• Sly Guy in Training
  • DonM
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »
I already had a good tan going on my balding spots being in FL when I shaved my head.  1 day on the boat and an afternoon floating the springs and some of the white on my head is slowly tanning.  I always have some sunblock on.  If I know I am out for a long day, my boating hat is always a short reach away.  The sun in FL is not forgiving and I refuse to get burnt

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
I just experienced my first sunburn over the holiday weekend.

YIKES!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »
I just experienced my first sunburn over the holiday weekend.

YIKES!

I hope it wasn't on the scalp, Schro....that sucks
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.