Author Topic: Head cloth vocabulary.  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Focus

• Sly
Head cloth vocabulary.
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:54:24 AM »
Hi, everyone.

I have a question which will be useful only for me, I guess.

I was looking for head cloth on Headblade web site. They have "thug" and skully".

On the picture, it is the same thing. Do you know what is the difference between a thug and a skully.

An online English/French dictionnary gives nothing for "skully" and gives for "thug" a definition which has no link with head protection.

Thank you.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Head cloth vocabulary.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:11:01 AM »
While I am sure that in a purely technical sense there is an absolute set of requisites that distinguishes a "thug" from a "skully" that in many cases it is simply a marketing strategy to get those of us who constitute the consumerist sub-genre of the species "middle class" to spend twice as much money on yet more crap that will not provide us one second of extra breathing privilege during an extreme crisis.
In short I'm thinking that they're about the same. It's just that in my consumer mind I'm thinking how I could possibly justify getting a skully and not a thug. Of course, I'll take one of each.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Focus

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:26:02 AM »
OK.

Thanks for your answer.

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »
one is further down the ears than the other by the pictures on that site

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »
The thug is a beanie (not sure what it's made of as nothing written on the label) The skully is a thinner spandex thing. Good for wearing under helmets when mountain biking
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Focus

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 03:21:28 AM »
The skully would be interesting to wear on chilly mornings while going to work.

Thank you all.