Author Topic: Strokes and irritation  (Read 1407 times)

Offline RegularGuy

• Learning the way of Sly
Strokes and irritation
« on: April 21, 2013, 04:21:44 AM »
So I have a question.. I've been shaving my head for about a year now, I started out with HeadBlade and then switched to Mach 3. But that's not really important.
The problem is, that after every shave I get a rash around the ears and the sides of my head, weirdly I get none on the back of the head. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it doesn't really look aesthetically pleasing and well.. I wanna look good :) So today I've been looking around the internet about some shaving techniques and started wondering about the strokes and their length. I've seen some videos where people use short strokes to shave their head and get a nice clean shave, while I've always thought that long strokes are the way to go.

So here are my questions: Short or long strokes - which ones cause less irritation? Also, I read that if you're applying pressure while shaving you are doing it wrong, while I always felt less irritation when I used some pressure, so I didn't have to go over the same spot two times. So the other question - pressure or no pressure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Re: Strokes and irritation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:29:34 AM »
Consider using a pre-shave oil. Had a similar problem, too which the pre-shave oil has reduced but not eliminated.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
Is it a rash or acne?, maybe try a ph neautral antibacterial wash like Phisohex straight after each shave and see if things start improve after a couple of weeks use. I had the same problem and it helped greatly so keep it in mind if other methods don't work
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline RegularGuy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »
Is it a rash or acne?, maybe try a ph neautral antibacterial wash like Phisohex straight after each shave and see if things start improve after a couple of weeks use. I had the same problem and it helped greatly so keep it in mind if other methods don't work
It's a red rash, never had a problem with acne. I appreciate your input but I don't want to put too many chemicals on my skin. The whole reason I made this topic is too see, if there's a way to reduce irritation by just changing the way you apply pressure and changing your strokes. Same goes to the reply from MrJules, thanks anyway :)

Oh and just to make sure I mention it, I shave ATG as I prefer a slick dome. I know I could get way less irritation by shaving WTG but I'd really prefer sticking with a smooth head.

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
It's probably more of a product related issue.