Author Topic: New member  (Read 2193 times)

Offline MB85

• Learning the way of Sly
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
Hi guys, just joined the site tonight and thought I'd give some background to my own situation and experiences.

I am 27 and have been noticing my hair thinning on top for around 4 years. For the first year it was only noticeable when it was wet and I was able to style it so that only I knew it was an issue.

Then about 3 years ago a few friends started to notice. This is when my obsessiion with it really began. I tried 1 shampoo I can't even remember the name of, it was useless and after a while just made my hair look greasy. Then about 2 years ago I went to the doctor. I decided against propecia given the potential side effects and was advised of the Regaine products - I started using the spray twice a day and after a few months it was definitely helping. Looking back on photos around that time my hair looks pretty good. Then they stopped stocking the spray in my pharmacy and I had to get the new "foam" version which was apparently better. I hated it using it and when at the barbers one day I decided to go for a 3 buzz cut. Bad decision so after a few weeks of embarrassment, I re-grew to its normal length.

Around 6 months later (1 year ago), the comments / jokes were starting to become a lot more frequent and friends would regularly tease me about looking like my dad (who is bald). I had enough and went for a number 1 buzz cut. My wife liked it and more importantly I loved it! For the first couple of days. See I hadn't given any thought to the fact that it would re-grow and how bad it would look once the affected area (top of my head down to just above my fringe) started to fill out! After a lot of pressure from family etc I was convinced with my wedding coming up that I shouldnt have a shaved head for the photos. It took around 6 weeks for my hair to start looking normal again, I kept getting the back and sides shaved to allow it to grow in on top and have continued with this haircut each time I go to the barbers (1 at back  / sides, smal trim on the top).

Now we are 1 year further down the line and my hair is continuing to thin, I really feel the urge to shave it and keep doing so. I am using alpecin shampoo which I'm really not convinced about. I wash my hair every morning, towel dry it and wait around 30-40 minutes for it to fully dry out. Then I take my comb and try to style it in as best a way I can. I'm obsessed with looking at my hair in mirrors / reflections and my self confidence is really low. I am totally blessed that I have a beautiful wife who doesn't care and a kid on the way. Given my issues and the fact I can't bear to be outside in wind / rain in case it affects my hair, coupled with the fact my life is going to change when we have our baby I really feel like taking the plunge and just shaving my head. I know my family won't like it (mom / dad / grandparents etc) and I don't like the idea of people constantly pointing out I've had a haircut. But it seems like the right thing to do. Just very apprehensive at how it will look. I also have some chicken pox scars on my head which I fear will become noticeable shoud I shave my hair off.

Has anyone else been through something similar? Sorry for the long story but it has helped getting everything off my chest. There are more important things in my life than hair, but I can't seem to shake my obsession with it.

Thanks

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
The best way to figure out the answer to your question is to just do it and see how looks. Ultimately, you're the only one who has to be happy with the result. If you don't like it, just let your hair grow back and move on to another option.
Hair is over rated.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
You have a wife who is supportive of the idea and wonderfully a new baby on the way.  You should be full of confidence.

Why not celebrate the birth of the baby - who probably will have no hair initially - with a shave and you can bond with him/her - as two baldies.  You will be amazed what a rush this will give you.

Good luck and welcome to SBG.
Roger

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
Welcome, MB! My personal take is that guys younger than you shave their heads and most feel free after doing it. The good thing about sly is that there is no age, color or size restriction; it looks well on anyone. A bozo ring doesn't look good on most people regardless of age, and I'm guessing that's not what you want right now or at any age. Give the shave head a try (you could always say that I tried to cut my own hair but messed up so bad, there was nothing left to do but shave it ;D) but on a serious note, give it a try and if YOU don't like it, you can always grow it back. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:56:19 AM »
G'Day MB85 mate  O0

Welcome to the Fortress Of The Follicly Challenged.

Thanks for your story.

You will be surprised how much you will enjoy your Sly Freedom.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:55 AM »
Welcome mate,

You should give it a go, especially if family is being supportive. If you don't like it it will grow back soon enough.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Lynchy

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 05:42:38 AM »

As others have said just go ahead and shave it.  Takes much less time than you are now spending and no worry about wind etc.  you actually  will gain in confidence.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »
Welcome to sly bald guys.

Just shave it off. It will grow back if yhou don't like the look.

FOr me doing so built up my self confidence a lot.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
Add me to the list of people whose confidence has gone sky high since going sly.  Even if you have short hair/little hair to begin with, without hair you've nothing to 'hide' behind. 

It really is a huge confidence booster.