Author Topic: Tracks that make you cringe and/or change the station  (Read 27525 times)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
Re: Tracks that make you cringe and/or change the station
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »
Nas Tupac Eminem and Jay Z are my favourite
Well, now I realize why you dislike rock music. I still think it's ridiculous though.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread....
I think Nickelback is a heck of a lot better than a lot of the sh*t that the so-called experts bless as "award worthy".

I've had friends say "It's uncool to like Nickelback dude, you better drop that."

That's flat out stupid.

I second that Schro. It's just an asinine thing for someone to say.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Tracks that make you cringe and/or change the station
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 04:47:39 AM »
I totally agree that it's each to their own, hence my right to profess my dislike for Nickelback, not because society tells me I should, but because I genuinely dislike their music. I can appreciate why people like it, and have nothing against people that do.

Music is the most subjective field of interest imaginable, from a biological point of view, everyone's ears perceive a different set of frequency bands depending on the infinitely variable anatomy of the cochlea, and then there is the way every brain computes these sounds, it's truly amazing.  

I actually love that people can be polarised by music, or enjoy qualities that others don't.  I'm intrigued by sound itself, outside of whether I like the music or not, and so could find interest in any music from an objective point of view.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »
Funny.....Given the dislike for Nickelback, their song "How You Remind Me" was the number one overall song on Billboard for 2002. Leigh had mentioned Gotye's song in an earlier post and that song was the number one overall song on Billboard for 2012. My mom hates End of the Road by Boyz II men (another #1 overall in 1992)....Could it be that our dislike for some of these songs are due to the overplaying of them on every friggin' radio station? What do you think? Personally, I could take or leave Nickelback or Gotye they don't bother me one way or the other. Good points, BTW, Slyfive!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »
I definitely think it's a factor SSH! I happen to love that Boyz II Men track though!

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
Overplay definitely plays a big part in this. When it comes to radio and music TV channels what really annoys me to no end is the mindset behind it which you could summarize as "squeeze every last dollar out of it, chuck it out, on to the next". With the additional downside that it makes me come to hate even otherwise perfectly decent songs :-X
.: you must laugh and sing if you want to conquer the world :.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 01:06:38 AM »
While I admire Bieber for his hard work and success...his songs make me cringe.  Though, I did get caught tapping my toes to Beauty and a Beat the other day.  Made me want to run off the road when I figured out it was him.

Abba also makes me change the channel...mostly because my daughter has watched the movie Mamma Mia over 200 times.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
Tyler, oddly enough, the movie Mamma Mia never caught my interest. And this is coming from someone who can watch musicals without a problem.

I understand the reason to love an anthem for such a great city, but Empire State of Mind was overplayed. I heard the Alicia Keys rendition today, and was hoping to escape before the chorus began.

It still doesn't bet Sumergeme by Jesus Adrian Romero. He is a person who does worship music in Spanish, and in its heyday, practically every church sang that song at least once. They did not burn the song down to the ground. They sifted the ashes afterwards, and burned that too. And to make matters worse, that song did nothing for me to begin with.
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
The problem with Mama Mia! is that it had Pierce Brosnan singing. That's enough to kill anybody's music, no matter how good it is.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2013, 04:21:41 AM »
Coldplay.  Always Coldplay.
Also U2.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
I actually enjoyed Mamma Mia (but then, I only saw it once, I feel your pain Tyler), but what Pierce Brosnan does in it could hardly be construed as "singing".

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
I actually enjoyed Mamma Mia (but then, I only saw it once, I feel your pain Tyler), but what Pierce Brosnan does in it could hardly be construed as "singing".

I think "hatchet job" describes it better! I'd rather listen to dogs howling!
Hair is over rated.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
FWIW, I forgot to put Justin Bieber in my original post (does anybody here like him?

Didn't anybody catch the YouTube vid of him puking on stage? That was one of the most entertaining things I've seen in a while.

How about Clint Eastwood's singing debut in "Paint Your Wagon"? Made my day. Dirty Harry singing "I Talked To The Breeze"? WTF?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

benlen

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »

See, personally I thought that was hilarious. I mean, it was James Bond attempting to sing––how hilarious is that. I've never figured out why everyone hated that so much. Then again maybe I don't have an ear for such things––I can't sing either!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
I know this thread happens to be more than a year old, but after what happened Wednesday night at work, I had to repost again. I caught a guy (a trucker) about 35 or so singing along with Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" I could take or leave Taylor Swift, but that particular song by her makes my facial hair want to fall out....It sounds like a seven-year-old girl screaming at the top of her lungs while jumping on the bed. That said, watching a big guy singing along to ANY Taylor Swift song (especially that one) is like....well, dude, just turn in your man card. My brother says that he hates Dummy Demi Lovato so much he would rather listen to Miley Cyrus for 24 hours. Me personally I don't care for any of them one way or the other, but Demi's "Give your heart a break" is a decent song I could listen to (but not sing along with). Yesterday, my friend, his 2-year-old son and I were in WalMart and we were passing through the music section. Here's how the conversation went
2 year old: Who's this
Friend: NSync
2 year old: NStink?
Friend: NO, NSYNC!
2 year old NStink!
Me: Leave him alone, he's saying the right thing >:D
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.