Author Topic: Neck irritation question  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
Neck irritation question
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:39 AM »
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if any of you could give me some advice on my neck. I usually shave my head and face everyday ATG with no problems.  I only shave my neck WTG(always have) but yet my neck still gets red after a shave a lot of the time and feels a little warm.  I do not get razor bumps there, just a kind of sun burned look and feel for part of the day.  I have also tried shaving every other day but yet still get the same problem.

Any ideas on what I can try?  I would hate to just shave every other day or less being that my head and face skin handles everyday shaving with no irritation.  Right now I wash my head, do a cold water rinse, apply ClearHead and sometimes witch hazel before that.  Then use Nivea sensitive skin after shave balm on the neck area to help.  These things do seem to help a little.  And like I said the irritation does not last all day but there has got to be a better way.  When I shave WTG on my neck I only do 1 WTG pass over my neck.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:41:35 AM by Kevin G »

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
Re: Neck irritation question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:18:41 AM »
I have a sensitive neck too. Maybe not as sensitive as yours. I find the hair on the bottom half of my neck grows toward my chin whereas the hair just under my chin grows toward my chest. So a WTG pass in either direction is actually ATG for half my neck. Sounds really simple & you're probably much much smarter than me but it took me way too long to figure it out & I thought it might help you if you had overlooked it. Good luck. Hope you sort it. It would stink to have to cut back on the shaving.

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:55 AM »
Just noticed on my original post that I forgot to mention that it is the back of my neck where I am having problems.  The front is fine.  Thanks for the advice Raulski.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:26:34 AM by Kevin G »

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
Back of my neck is a problem area too. For me what helps is starting near the crown of my head just going down and not making against the grain or across the grain passes.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
Suggest you add a little Hydrocortisone Lotion, not the cream, to your finishing routine on the neck.  It is great for reducing redness.

Hydrocortisone lotion is used for:

Reducing itching, redness, and swelling associated with many skin conditions. The cleanser is used to clean the scalp and the body as directed by your doctor.

Hydrocortisone lotion is a topical corticosteroid and cleanser combination. The corticosteroid works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation).
Read more at http://www.drugs.com/cdi/hydrocortisone-lotion.html#vt7gprR3XejZX4AE.99