Author Topic: Questions about first time shaving in advance  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Lee Layfield

• Sly Guy in Training
Questions about first time shaving in advance
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
Im planing to shave my head sly in April (its just to cold right now). My questions are probably asked on here before though after going through pages i couldn't see a title that seem right. Anyway,

1. Does it hurt at all, is it common to cut yourself a little while shaving??

2. I am yet to buy the products that i need and what would you recommend (razor/cream etc)?

3. Will i mostly likely have a shaded area were my hair was like a grey outline, i understand i may/will have a pale scalp at the beginning (also how can avoid this as i really don't want this grey outline)?

4. I don't know if i have any scars or moles etc on my head, what action should i take if i have a mole and cut it my mistake? (this is a bit off but just something someone told me to watch for.

5.Any tips on how to handle the initial shock of being sly. i don't want to freak out for a week or two.

6. Will it affect my job,, in this time i will be seeing people between 18-25. Mainly has anyone got any work tale of reactions from co workers/bosses, also what about my college course?

7. lastly patterns to shaving, how do you shave, were do you start(ears, back top) with or against the grain?

Thats about all for now thanks for the help everyone

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Re: Questions about first time shaving in advance
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »
Im planing to shave my head sly in April (its just to cold right now). My questions are probably asked on here before though after going through pages i couldn't see a title that seem right. Anyway,

No, if you go slow you will be fine!

2. I am yet to buy the products that i need and what would you recommend (razor/cream etc)?

There is a lot of love for the Headblade around here, but any razor/cream combo will work just fine. Probably just start with what you use on your face.

3. Will i mostly likely have a shaded area were my hair was like a grey outline, i understand i may/will have a pale scalp at the beginning (also how can avoid this as i really don't want this grey outline)?

Yes, it will be pale for a few days. Letting your head tan seems to reduce the visibility of the outline IMO, but this will take some time.

4. I don't know if i have any scars or moles etc on my head, what action should i take if i have a mole and cut it my mistake? (this is a bit off but just something someone told me to watch for.

Feel your head in advance for moles. Buzz it down to a zero first, you will be able to see any moles etc then. Don't use much pressure when shaving.

If you do get a cut a styptic pencil should do the trick.

5.Any tips on how to handle the initial shock of being sly. i don't want to freak out for a week or two.

Be awesome and confident, truth be told most people won't notice/care.

6. Will it affect my job,, in this time i will be seeing people between 18-25. Mainly has anyone got any work tale of reactions from co workers/bosses, also what about my college course?

Nope, it shouldn't. If you do a good job you will be based on merit, not a haircut.

7. lastly patterns to shaving, how do you shave, were do you start(ears, back top) with or against the grain?

Shave with the grain (crown down) for the first few times, then against the grain (up towards the crown) once you have the hang of it.

Goodluck

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:43:14 PM by Lynchy »
Lynchy

Andrei

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
1. I have never cut my head while shaving so yes, it's possible to avoid razor cuts from the first shave.
2. For me shaving gel works better than foam and I like 5 blade cartridges for my razor. I also use some aftershave. If you found some good products that work for your face then try them for shaving your head. If something is not ok, change it.
3. Depends on your skin, how tanned is the face skin. The head will tan too, the time required for that depends on the sun exposure and also on how fast your skin tans. The shadow look depends on the hair colour.
4. If you do find a mole and you can't help yourself from cutting it then visit a doctor, it's the only one who can have a relevant opinion. (Hope you don't have any moles/you'll be great avoiding them while shaving).
5. Use a mirror and enjoy what you see this cures the shock.
6. Depends on the people you meet. I find the bald look a professional, clean haircut. Others might think different. Some will like it, some wont. Same goes for any haircut. You can't make everybody happy.
7. If it's your first head shave then with the grain is good enough. After when you'll acquire more skills and your skin will adjust to shaving then you can try going against the grain. Different people have different shaving patterns, I do sides, top and back. 

I'm sure others will provide you with different answers.
So take what you think is best for you and give it a try.

By the way, why wait until April to shave? Isn't February just as good?

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
G'Day Lee mate,

If you follow what my Sly Brothers Lynchy & Andrei have mention you will be fine.

Just take your time, don't rush it and enjoy the time.

Well covered there Lynchy & Andrei  O0

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »
One thing: I've found that hair doesn't really do much for heat. Not much difference. But if that's the way you're timing it, okay.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »
Welcome Lee. Lynchy and Andrei nailed it. Enjoy the experience.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
Lee, the biggest thing is that whenever you do it, to treat it as just another haircut....It will make the process a whole lot easier. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »

No it does not hurt but the scalp may feel slightly sensitive the first couple of times.  It was for me and this is nothing to worry about.  As far as cutting,  I have yet to cut myself aside from a couple real small micro cuts(more like scratches) on the side of my head.  But that was my fault, I used a razor that was over due to have its blade changed and I hurried.  If you take your time and do not use much pressure on the blade you will be fine.

For a good starting razor I highly recommend the Shick Hydro 5.  It is very forgiving and just about the least irritating razor I have ever used.  The Gillette Fusion Proglide is also very good and cuts slightly closer then the Shick but it not quite as gentle on the skin(but still very good!).  You will get a BBS shave with the Shick once you eventually shave against the grain.  Once you really get used to shaving your head you might also want to check out the Headblade.  I have an ATX and recently got the 6 blade razors for it and it was an awesome shave.  Might be my favorite razor now.

I started with Nivea Sensitive Skin Shaving Gel which is very good and protective.  Aveeno also makes great stuff.  And while I did not care for Headslick(from Headblade) at first, it is also very good.  As a matter of fact it is what I have been using lately.  Also pick up some Shave Secret oil or something like King of Shaves oil and put it under what ever you use to shave with.  I personally use Shave Secret and it works wonders.

The only thing that will take care of this is some sun.  But it looks better pretty quick.  The only other thing that I could recommend is do a super short buzz cut first to let some sun in for a while.   And then shave later.  But honestly I would just recommend shaving your head bald.  I went the short buzz cut route first but I wish that I would have just shaved it sooner.  Your scalp looks better dramatically during the first 30 days.

Like Lynchy stated a styptic pencil will do the trick for this.  You can get them at Wal-Mart or any good drugstore like CVS, Rite Aid.

Well it might be a slight shock to you at first but you will get used to it fast.  Just remember that being sly is a great look and wear it with confidence and pride.

Should not effect you at all.  Almost everyone has complimented me on my new bald look O0.  I only had one bad reaction from a co worker who I laughed off and told him that he should try shaving his head sometime.  And my father did not like it at first.  But he comes from a time when it was common place to hold onto what ever hair you have no matter how ridiculous it looks.  He has gotten used to it now and accepts it.

I would only shave with the grain for the first couple weeks.  I usually start with the top of my head where it is thinner, then go to my sides(be careful around the ears) and do the back last because that is where my hair is the thickest.  I try to let the shave oil/cream set on the back of my head the longest to help with the shave.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:07:47 PM by Kevin G »