Author Topic: Beard skin care  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Pike Mayne

• Sly Guy in Training
  • good times, fine wines
Beard skin care
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
I was wondering if any of the bearded sly guys out there could recommend a soap or skin care product to use on my face.  I love having a beard, but I tend to break out after a while . I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Guys

Pike

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Beard skin care
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »
St Ives apricot scrub, a lot of people recommend it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
Do you mean in the bearded area?  If so, two things, get a gentle shampoo & some anti dandruff shampoo.  Second, for anything more than a shadow beard, drag out or buy a scalp massager type brush, plastic.  With a shadow I guess a scrub like St. Ives would work, but I'd personally get a loofah pad, not the sponge and give it a good scrub.  You need to make sure old dead skin doesn't trap and fester with the oils that are produced.  Then a gentle conditioner--for shampoo I use Mane & Tail, reasonably priced and gentle.  The anti-dandruff will help on every third or fourth day to control any dermatitis that might be there in response to "going natural." 

Offline Pike Mayne

• Sly Guy in Training
  • good times, fine wines
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »
I have about a four-week beard, and I think your loofah pad and shampoo approach might work best, saintc. I appreciate the suggestions guys

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:04:49 AM »
I use shampoo and conditioner for mine, but you look like you could get away with the face scrub. I personally don't like the loofah on my face, but it is something you can try for yourself.

Offline matt548

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:37 AM »
I use Gilette Thermal Face Scrub, it siftens reallly well and keeps it clean and is good on the skin.  It also feels really cool when you put it on; as soon as it touches your skin it gets really hot and feels like hot mud

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
I use Noxzema or Axe Body Wash......Ever since I've started using Osage Rub around the surrounding skin, I have not been itching or breaking out....St. Ives is another good suggestion.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline justtom

• ~BALD BY CHOICE~
  • Sly
  • "THE MORE HAIR I SHAVE THE MORE HEAD I GET"
Re: Re: Beard skin care
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »
I just work in some old spice body wash 3 in one w/shampoo & conditioner in to my still filling in horseshoe mustache,keeps it clean and soft.

Offline Scott TX

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:53:25 AM »
1) Shampoo/conditioner is a must for beard care, however, avoid sulfates and parabens.  They'll irritate your skin.  I've had great results with Alba and Nature's Gate products, both of which are sold at my local Tom Thumb.  They're around $8-10/bottle, but are frequently buy one, get one with a rewards card.  And when using conditioner, don't rinse it out right away.  Let it stay in for a few minutes.  I always shampoo/condition first thing in the shower, leave the conditioner in, go through the rest of my shower routine, the rinse the conditioner last.

2) I've found most of the beard-specific products on the market aren't any better than a decent, natural hair care product,  but are much more expensive.  Don't bother.  HOWEVER, I have found one product that I absolutely love.  Botanical Skin Works Bay Lime Beard Conditioning Oil (sesame oil, jojoba seed oil, vitamin e, West Indian Bay, lime, and rosemary & sandalwood essential oils).  I rub this into my beard, and the skin beneath, when I get out of the shower (after a towel dry).  It serves 2 purposes: it softens the beard hair, which reduces the itchiness, and moisturizes the skin, which alleviates skin irritation.  It only takes a small amount, so the 4oz. bottle it comes in last a long time.  Well worth the $15 I spent.  I've even been using it as a pre-shave oil and post-shave moisturizer on the head with GREAT results.

3)  Get a boar bristle hair brush.  They can be had for $10-15.  Just a minute or 2 of brushing after a shower can help to redistribute your hairs natural oils, which will further help reduce itchiness and irritation. 

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »
Great tip from all...

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
Just the info I was looking for! Thanks guys!

Offline VOT

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »
Jojoba oil every morning after you shower. You only need a small amount but it softens the beard and moisturises the skin beneath.

Enter your email address: