Author Topic: Downside of being bald  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Just a Minion

• Learning the way of Sly
Downside of being bald
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »
Hi,

I just joined this forum, because of the unfortunate... still thinking to shave my head....

I have one question, wondering... why some people wont have obvious dark green shadow, while some have completely bald head?

Also, I am writing a story about a balding guy who suffering from his hairloss...  for my assignment (i guess it is my first step that i admit i have this kind of problem)

I want to ask you guys that  what hard time or bad experience you had because of your hair??

I know this forum is very positive, but i believe there must be a lot of bad memories ... please share..

and for sure... how you get over it.

Thanks

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Downside of being bald
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »

I want to ask you guys that  what hard time or bad experience you had because of your hair??

None. Such problems are merely figments of one's imagination.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
I have one question, wondering... why some people wont have obvious dark green shadow, while some have completely bald head?

Usually, it has a lot to do with the color of the man's hair, how close he shaves it and the darkness of his skin.  The more contrast there is between his hair and skin color, the more of a shadow he will have - though I never have seen one that is green.

I know this forum is very positive, but i believe there must be a lot of bad memories ... please share..

and for sure... how you get over it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the worst memory I have is getting a few bad sunburns when the hair started thinning.  I learned to wear a hat or bandanna.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline ShyGuy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
if it makes ya feel better, I've been losing hair since I hit puberty at age 14. AGE 14!!!!! and I have very dark hair so my shadow is very visible. But alas, I'm not trippin', a shaved head with a shadow is a much healthier look than a head with a little bit of hair scattered about ;)

Offline ShyGuy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »
To answer your original question, the only bad memories I have is when people saw me with my balding head and laugh. That all stops once you rock the chrome dome, because it is then and only then when you can honestly say that you have control over what's going on up top.

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 01:58:55 AM »
What ShyGuy said. I was very sad to start losing my hair; especially before I hit 20 but I first shaved it off at 21 & loved it. I grew it back for almost 10 years (I still don't know why) and, again, was instantly happier the day I shaved it off. I've now been shiny-bald for 6 years & (I'm almost embarrassed to admit) I still get that "new haircut" or "new look" excitement when I shave it (every day).
I've also gotten into straight razors & old gillette safety razors & made a hobby of my head shave.
No downsides!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
None whatsoever, and on the positive side  - -more and more guys are shaving their heads.  I have never met a guy who has a negative feeling  about shaving.   - - - It  is so much better than having little sprits of hair growing around on your head. I think we all have the MPB shadow but that is part of the ball game.

Offline CliffCoultas

• GUITARIST WITH MYSTIQUE
  • Sly Jr.
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:36:13 AM »
Every since I've shaved my head I've gotten nothing but positive feedback. Women noticed me more and like he said people may be a little wowed at first but once you just rock it you will see.
Cliff Coultas

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
No negativity to report. I've been shaving my head for about 12-13 years and if any negative comments were made they kinda went in one ear and out the other. But I'm a special case. For some reason I don't grant my fellow man and his opinions especially high esteem with regard to my choices. If they ain't payin' my bills this month then their attitudes do not affect me. But I'm old and I've paid my share of dues, the kind that a lot of people don't have to pay, and I'm at the point where if somebody has something negative to say, well.....get the F*** in line!

One story I do have, though, and I've related it here in the past is about a woman friend of mine who is a hairdresser by profession. When I first started shaving my head I went from long hair down to my shoulder blades one day to slick the very next day. I saw her the last day of my long hair and again the first day of slydom. She looked at me when I was walking into the hair shoppe and said "you look different today, did you lose weight?" She never even noticed that my hair was gone. Likewise with most people I have encountered since I started shaving my head. They don't even notice.

Head shaving has become so commonplace nowadays that I sometimes think I should grow my hair back just so's I can be different. 8)
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Focus

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:22:13 AM »
At first, I would have said I have only positive feed back.

Thinking it over, I would say I am more sensitive to sun and cold. I bought kangol caps and a few thugs to welcome "extreme weather".

But even that could be considered positive feed back : indeed, it improves clothing style. I often wear a kangol cap even when I don't especially need it.

Offline tartanraven

• Haggis Hunter
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
Downsides:  Hot rivets on ball caps, hail, snow.....that's about it
Deus Meus Et Omnia

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Downsides:  Hot rivets on ball caps

Oh yes! I've had that happen when leaving a cap out in the sun. Sizzle!

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
Women flirting with you all the time....

Offline Focus

• Sly
Re:
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
Women flirting with you all the time....

Oh so true!

Enter your email address: