Author Topic: Beard Trimmers  (Read 14562 times)

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
Re: Beard Trimmers
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 05:06:09 AM »
For the last 30 years I've only ever used a small pair of scissors -- very sharp first aid scissors. A pair lasts about 20 years.

Offline OMBrandon

• Sly Jr.
  • Mortem Tyrrani
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »
Interesting to see an old thread like this resurrected!  Have to weigh in!

I have been through several trimmers, for both hair and beard trimming. I think I have found the best consumer model available:

WAHL 17-Piece Lithium Ion All-In-One Trimmer
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=97323D838A10843FDC365CB4E8EBAF98#ip/WAHL-17-Piece-Lithium-Ion-All-In-One-Trimmer-Model-9854-600/10818815

It stays charged forever and is precise enough to do some great detail trimming (which I do on my goatee area and my neckline.  Hope it helps!
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Depends on how thick your beard is !  Do you want stubble and how much ?  Do you want to cut off split ends ?  Scissor's !  Do it your self and be happy take your time , shower , shampoo , and condition then trim.  Had one for years.   Good Luck !   If you want stubble , then Wahl, or Oyster Professional with guards !  ;)  Will set you back , but money invested. 
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline ibaldnow

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »
I'm looking for an easy trimmer that leaves me look like I haven't shaved for about 2 weeks. I've bought a couple for the "stubble look" but they shaved way too close. Im uk based.

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
I'm looking for an easy trimmer that leaves me look like I haven't shaved for about 2 weeks. I've bought a couple for the "stubble look" but they shaved way too close. Im uk based.
Just recently got the Remington Contour MB4030. I really like it . The cut is good and it has various Length-Settings:1.5-18 mm (9 steps), 0.5-5.5 mm. The Length-Settings should be fine for some longer stubble as well. It's also available in the UK.

Offline ibaldnow

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
I actually have an 18mm one. Does it way too short for me. Kinda want to have a beard basically where I can just shave it like normal but it keeps it long. Ive googled around but I keep seeing stubble look info. I kinda just want to tidy it up. Thanks for the advice.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
Here ya go, Never used it, don't trim my beard at the moment, when I do I use scissors. but this is the biggest trimmer guard I could find, by luck it is a UK site!

http://www.boots.com/en/Philips-Styleshaver-QS6140-Beard-Trimmer-and-Foil-Electric-Shaver_1274694/

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 01:50:26 AM »
Was also interested in the Philips Shaver. I like the fact it's Waterproofed and  a least it goes up to 32mm. 
And that's the thing about the Beardtrimmer, most of them won't go high up in Length. I had some Hairclippers that went up to 40, which i used for the beard. But the comb of these things are to wide. Had always issues to trim the mustache using that thing.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:56 AM »
Had always issues to trim the mustache using that thing.

That's what scissors are for bro :D

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 03:41:21 AM »

ha, i tried everything ;) and still finding ways to mess eversthing up.lol.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 03:56:24 AM »

ha, i tried everything ;) and still finding ways to mess eversthing up.lol.

It's a lot harder and takes a lot more work to stuff things up with scissors. I suggest scissors or follow Beardman's example and leave it grow as long as it wants to. If you look at my avatar today you can see that I don't worry about it too much - you can just let it get a bit ragged. Really, no one cares what my face or skull looks like including me -- what a great feeling.

And probably no one cares what you look like either so why should you bother yourself caring about how you look?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:01:34 AM by Gary~ »

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
x1
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL