Author Topic: Parents Reactions  (Read 7507 times)

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
Re: Parents Reactions
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 04:01:35 PM »
Well I saw my parents for the first time in a week today. Neither really said anything.  My Mum asked me how long I was going to keep my hair cut this way, I said probably all summer(a blantant lie) as Ive got no intention of growing it out again

KALBO

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »
My Dad should have gone SLY way before he passed, but my Mom saw me for the first time since going SLY last week and acted a little surprised. I told her, what was I supposed to do...inheriting my Dad's baldness and her thin hair and high forehead? I am happy to report she didn't reach for one of her old wigs!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
Today, we traveled 3 hours one way (6 hours in the car with kids) just to have lunch with my family.  The first time I'd seen them since going SLY.  I was pretty nervous about this since my Dad was always critical of my thinning hair and I figured there would be more of the same.  I really did not want to deal with it, but I knew I needed to see them sometime.

Well, just like the other times when I was really nervous about seeing others for the first time, this also turned out to be a non-event.  My Dad made a couple of Kojak jokes, but that was about it.  Really, it was less than when I still had the thinning hair.

Someone asked how long I was going to keep it this way and my wife quickly broke in with "I don't think he plans on ever growing it back".  How true, how true....

Another lesson to those on the fence:  these dreaded times of revealing the new look to our friends and family are usually not a big deal!!!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:46:05 PM by SLYinKC »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 02:21:52 AM »
Today, we traveled 3 hours one way (6 hours in the car with kids) just to have lunch with my family.  The first time I'd seen them since going SLY.  I was pretty nervous about this since my Dad was always critical of my thinning hair and I figured there would be more of the same.  I really did not want to deal with it, but I knew I needed to see them sometime.

Well, just like the other times when I was really nervous about seeing others for the first time, this also turned out to be a non-event.  My Dad made a couple of Kojak jokes, but that was about it.  Really, it was less than when I still had the thinning hair.

Someone asked how long I was going to keep it this way and my wife quickly broke in with "I don't think he plans on ever growing it back".  How true, how true....

Another lesson to those on the fence:  these dreaded times of revealing the new look to our friends and family are usually not a big deal!!!

Sounds like you had a great revelation and a great Father's day!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 07:54:25 AM »

Well if he can only make kojak jokes then maybe he thinks it suits you

Dude doesnt your Dad have thin hair too or a horseshoe

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 08:02:47 AM »

Dude doesnt your Dad have thin hair too or a horseshoe
[/quote]

No, I'm the only one in my family (either side) to be blessed with thinning hair or any other type of noticable hairloss.  I think that's one of the things that made it hardest for me.  In fact, I get the questions from my family about what I'm doing to cause it, since nobody else in my family has it.  I guess it has to start somewhere in every family.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 08:16:39 AM »
Actually SlyinKC, from what I understand, it can skip generations sometimes so  maybe it just goes back a bit further in your family line -

As far as my parents reactions go, when I visit my mum she still sometimes says "I wish you'd grow your hair out a bit". When I point out that I don't actually have any hair on top she invariably says "well, couldn't you grow it long on one side & drape it over your head somehow?"

..... the tragic part is ... I don't think she's joking!!!!
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 08:19:08 AM »
As far as my parents reactions go, when I visit my mum she still sometimes says "I wish you'd grow your hair out a bit". When I point out that I don't actually have any hair on top she invariably says "well, couldn't you grow it long on one side & drape it over your head somehow?"

..... the tragic part is ... I don't think she's joking!!!!
[/quote]

I know what you mean.  I've gotten suggestions like "Why don't you get a toupe".  Needless to say I let them know that that was not going to happen!!

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »
Honestly! ... it makes you wonder just what medication are they on!  :o
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »
"well, couldn't you grow it long on one side & drape it over your head somehow?"

haha thats the reaction that Ill prob get from my gran when I shave it, my Grandad had a combover and tried to fool everyone that he had hair, but according to my mum and gran he had a good head of hair so they were fooled. My mum was told by my dad that he had a combover and she eventually accepted it. My dad styles what little bit of hair he has left, but doesnt try to hide the fact that he is mostly bald

I really do hope that your mum is kidding btw.

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 01:45:54 PM »
My parents and sister were shocked at first, but now I've done it for the third time they have started to accept it. Friends haven't commented at all, which is a bit strange. I'd like to clear up the whole situation by stating that I'm balding and that's why I do it but I won't do it unless they start the convo somehow.

EDIT: I have only buzzed my hair close this far.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:50:19 PM by yep_yep »

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »
my mom likes it...   My dad is being an idiot about the whole thing.  Trying to make up some crap about getting a job with that kind of look is a bit extreme.  I said this is the 21st century, I'm not a neo nazi, and if anyone has that idiotic negative connotation like you do, I don't wanna work for them.  I said which would look worse, me having my buzz, then losing my hair on top within a year, then sporting a horseshoe like you and looking like someone that doesn't have the balls to go all out?

Bleh, he'll change his mind after my head color evens out. 

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 11:26:08 PM »
my mom likes it...   My dad is being an idiot about the whole thing.  Trying to make up some crap about getting a job with that kind of look is a bit extreme.  I said this is the 21st century, I'm not a neo nazi, and if anyone has that idiotic negative connotation like you do, I don't wanna work for them.  I said which would look worse, me having my buzz, then losing my hair on top within a year, then sporting a horseshoe like you and looking like someone that doesn't have the balls to go all out?

Bleh, he'll change his mind after my head color evens out. 

All I can say is that having a thick horseshoe at my age (24) would be an absolute nightmare.