Author Topic: Oily Head  (Read 74498 times)

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
Re: Oily Head
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Powder should help with oiliness.  I imagine baby powder would work fine;  I have oily skin on my face and use a dusting of loose powder to manage the oil and it works all day. 

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
I really like your approach to the oily head problem with the alum block! Is it safe and healthy for every day use? I was familiar only with the alum sticks my father was using many years ago to stop small bleedings after shaving so he probably knows where to get one. Isn't the feeling while rubbing it on your head a bit rough? Is there a pharmacy shop online or something similar to buy it in case I can't find it at a local store?

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »
I really like your approach to the oily head problem with the alum block! Is it safe and healthy for every day use? I was familiar only with the alum sticks my father was using many years ago to stop small bleedings after shaving so he probably knows where to get one. Isn't the feeling while rubbing it on your head a bit rough? Is there a pharmacy shop online or something similar to buy it in case I can't find it at a local store?
Can't answer that question but good to see you back , great beard ! O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »

You can get it from online shaving stores. Or from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Shaving-Alum-Block-1-76/dp/B000FGTTVU and other places.

Is it safe for everyday use? Good question -- I have wondered this myself and my answer is probably. For many years I have used a deodorant "crystal" that is composed of "mineral salts of ammonium alum". It works well, is cheap and hasn't caused me any obvious harm. It is in widespread use in some asian countries.

This is worth a look to find out a bit about alum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
I think the alum block is very similar to the deodorant crystal. In any case, it is very smooth & doesn't scratch the scalp at all. The only issue I have found is it is very brittle & cracks/shatters if dropped in sink or on bench.
There's a lot of talk of aluminium causing Alzheimer's but a google search said aluminium is fairly safe &, moreover, alum block is not really composed of aluminium. So I think it's all good.

Offline headdry

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
i saw an video on youtube for headand dry or headdry. I'll look it up again but I don't know if anyone has used that . The video is sorta funny in your face but is true I'm very conscious about having my head dry. I buy the stuff it was in smaller bottles cause I'm not into wipes cause the stuff always over drys. I don't like shiney cause my skin is tight  very tight on top.

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
i saw an video on youtube for headand dry or headdry. I'll look it up again but I don't know if anyone has used that . The video is sorta funny in your face but is true I'm very conscious about having my head dry. I buy the stuff it was in smaller bottles cause I'm not into wipes cause the stuff always over drys. I don't like shiney cause my skin is tight  very tight on top.

If anyone has already tried this maybe he could tell us his opinion? I can't find any reviews of this product online, it's pretty cheap though. The advertising though is downright offensive; actual quote from the product's site '' Why would you be any uglier than you have to be?'' Not so smart marketing..

Anyway I have already found where I can get an alum block here and I will probably go for it in the next couple of days, I will keep you updated with the results.