Author Topic: 30 Day Challenge Not for Everyone...  (Read 2221 times)

Offline thinkingaboutit

• Sly Guy in Training
30 Day Challenge Not for Everyone...
« on: December 16, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
Since I went sly back on Nov. 23, I shaved every day (as a requirement of new members of the Club). Every day, though, I found myself nicking my dome in a variety of places. As scabs formed, I'd nick the scabs, thus retarding healing. Two days ago I skipped the shave. Sorry, guys. It honestly wasn't worth it to keep cutting myself before work (or before bed, or going out, depending on the day).

Anyway, when I went back to shave yesterday, I had a significant enough amount of stubble that the shave was virtually flawless. Only one minor nick, and I can live with that. I did shave again today, but gave it about 30 hours from the time of yesterday's. This makes a huge difference for me. Every 24 hours is not good for my head. I guess my hair just doesn't grow quickly enough.

Don't be upset with me! I gave it a real go, and though I do love the smoothness on a daily (if not constant!) basis, I have to (at the very least) let my skin heal before I go scraping at it again!!

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: 30 Day Challenge Not for Everyone...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
 ;) ;D  Your fine.  I don't think anyone wants anyone to scalp themselves.  Some days I let it go for a couple days, it is just when you get a stubble that I don't like , but that is just for  myself.  Your doing great how about a pic..  O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
Sounds like your doing great!

Skipping days is cool, it more about committing to the look for 30 days IMHO
Lynchy

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
TAI, daily shaving is not a requirement ... especially if it's causing injury!

The point is to remaing "true to the spirit" of being Sly for 30 days so you and others have a chance to adjust to the new you and you can learn the technique required.

Lots of guys are every-other-day shavers, and then there are others who wouldn't miss a day. Whatever works for you.

I think you're doing just fine ... for what it's worth.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
G'Day Thinkingaboutit,

Your doing fine mate, no one likes being scalped, nicked, sliced or diced. No worries about missing a day here or there.

Hang in there  O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »
I'm not an everyday shaver either.....but I have learned enough about products and technique that a freshly shaved dome can last me about three days! I think the every third day format for me is the best, everybody has their own method that works best.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: 30 Day Challenge Not for Everyone...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
Nothing wrong with slipping a day (especially after nicks and scraps) The 30 day challenge is just that...to challenge yourself to something YOU believe in as well as to set an attainable goal with a reasonable timeline where you can see that it can be done... YMMV.
Post a pic....and welcome to the SBG Fam ;)

Cheers,
Ro

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
Stick in there.  I've found that every second day is usually good enough for me to keep feeling pretty smooth and I can also do an extra shave if I need to look super slick.

Set your own rhythm, and the look will become yours as you get more confident.
Roger

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »
Relax, the "thirty" days doesn't have a requirement of 30 shaves, just a commitment to keep the sly look for thirty days, and if you can comfortably do that with every other day or whatever schedule works for you, that's the deal. 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
Every other day for me. Every day would be a little too much.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
Might I suggest not having 6 tequila poppers before you shave?  :*))

Seriously, the 30 day rule is all about getting used to the look, feel, and attitude associated with going sly.
On a side note, ever consider an electric razor? Might be worth it for ya!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »
I'm an every-other-day shaver as well.
I did try to do it every day for a few weeks, but I kept ending up with razor burns and red/irritated follicles.... It's for guys (or gals) with scalps of steel.  ;)
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
The 30 day challenge is certainly for everyone, because it is a process of going sly for 30 days and learning what is best for you. You don't have to shave every day, I'm like Harry and shave every 2-3 days and it suits me fine.

It's about improving your shaving technique while giving you time for your head, your family, your friends and especially yourself time to adjust to the new way of you.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 02:58:14 AM »
Are you going with the grain or against it? In my admittedly limited experience I have found that going with the grain is not as close so the stubble comes back sooner [before the next day]. Also, I like the feel of the stubble.

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
I, too tried shaving everyday & found it to be too much. I think that every other day is more for me. I''ve even let mine grow for a bit, but have always come back to shaving. It's been about 10yrs since I've worn a buzzcut or bald look.