Author Topic: Shave it yesterday! While on my travels  (Read 3605 times)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Shave it yesterday! While on my travels
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 12:49:48 PM »
Great shot  - -and you look  great  - - -Nothing like a shiny smooth dome - - -enjoy

Offline AbidingPlanet

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
Kop koon khrup (Thank You- as they say here in Thailand)

Thanks for the advice...I shall try to try and start shaving myself if I get the time here..hair shaves are relatively cheap so don't mind getting it Done...but shaving myself is definitely a skill I will need so I'll try to get a few in!

QUESTION- is there anything I should be doing to take care of it? Basically they have used shaving cream slowly go about with a razor and then I'm off. I hae some face lotion (Nivea) is that good?

Or some coconut oil- the dresser first rubbed that on... Seemed to moisturizer it well and lube it up nicely and smells good too! Thoughts...

I haven't used sunscreen as trying to get some color and spending probably 30min to 2 hours give or take out in sunlight.. Biking, walking, etc.

I looked in the forum for some guidelines and some people seem to use a lot of product that probably aren't available to me here, so just looking for essentials. Also time researching is also done from my iPhone so not the easiest to look things up.

Thanks again sly guys! It's nice to have thus forum to discuss with pe
People who have been there..huge help

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
A.P. - you'll know your head best, so adjust as appropriate.

Lots of guys use moisturizer ... my scalp is oily enough I don't need to add to the chaos up there. As I recall, Natedawg is a fan of coconut oil.

Be cautious of the amount of sun if you don't use sunscreen. I'm in subtropical Florida and made it a point to be outside 2 or 3 times a day, for 40 minutes to an hour. Worked for me - I don't sunburn easily.

When I first started shaving I used a lot of different products. Now, six months in, as various items are exhausted I'm not replacing them. All in all, I'm a pretty simple guy. Some say "complicated" - but that's a whole 'nother discussion!
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
Kop koon khrup (Thank You- as they say here in Thailand)

sawati kup... and a bow of the head.

yes, personal services in thailand are inexpensive. 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »
Try not to over complicate something that is really simple and watch out for those dang tuk tuk's...LOL.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys. You really look great sly.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
Welcome mate, you sure did the right thing there! Enjoy the rest of holidays!

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 01:53:55 AM »
Was in and in under 10 minutes in pain and blood. She had to get a cold towel and I had it one for about 10 minutes. I was quite dissapointed.   They say the razor was new..so hopefully I won't catch anything as I was a little concerned about that as well with all the small Knicks. When I go back tomorrow I'm going to have the original lady that did it do it again.

You look great but in my opinion it is not worth the risk of contracting blood borne diseases in third world countries. Buy some new disposables or cartridges or whatever and do it yourself -- then you are sure. I have been told by my old barber that here is Australia [at least in Tasmania] it is now illegal for a barber to shave anyone with a straight razor and by inference a used disposable or cartridge. A few years ago there was a huge and successful anti-aids campaign here.

Just adding this: if you really want to have someone else shave it for you over there then buy some disposables and give one to the barber to use. Everything is probably fine, they probably did use a new razor but when you get home it might be wise to get an aids test.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:14:47 AM by voidoid »

Offline AbidingPlanet

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 04:54:28 AM »
Thanks guys:) all your encouraging words have definitely helped me in this transition and helped me embrace. Quite adjusting to the new sly me. I always Travel solo, helps me meet new people easier locals and other travelers alike. I have met many people while being sly and we have become friends and they didn't think I was sole weird beast. Lol. I think they really liked me. A few people have thought I was a singer, musician and into yoga are a few of the comments . All of which are slightly true. I guess my attire here in Thailand is quite relaxed too, so we will see how I get on when I have to put on the monkey suit:).

My head is more tan than it was...I'll try to update a pic when I get back home perhaps.

I'm thinking my mom may take issue with it but hopefully when she see in person she won't mind so much. I'm not going to post any pics on Facebook so she won't know until airport pick up. Haha suprise! Doing a bit of meditation over here in land if smiles...people will really think I've embraced the culture:)

GARY- thanks for your thoughts on the head shaving. Ever since then I bought a Mach 3 razor and I'm learning the beautifully creative contours of my head. Since I can't see the back of my head I feel with my hand and then shave. Seems to take about 10-15 minutes best after warm shower and shaving cream used. Maybe a warm towel would be a nice treat for the pre-doming. I really do hope I didn't catch anything...quite scary and was/am definitely a little petrified:()

I didn't get a chance to shave it today but I will tomorrow, almost everyday ... Usually use a bit of coconut oil...smells nice and moisturizes it nicely.

You guys rock as does the slick dome. 

I went out last night, met some people and we were going to a restaurant.. I used to be concerned that they would see the back of my balding head...but now there is no hiding, they have accepted me and like me for what I am (these were good quality people by the way not just after money- as some may be familiar with Thailand:) but that was nice to not have to worry about - at the dance club .. Uh oh where a hat, don't give away the secret. Lol! The madness!!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and an even better new year

David

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 05:18:22 AM »
david, best wishes as you return home to show off your shiny dome.

that is so fun.

you look great bald

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 06:32:08 AM »
Look good matey. Welcome to the forum

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
Welcome tot he bald brotherhood. Looking great with the shaved dome.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 10:51:16 PM »
I say you look better and think it suits you O0