Author Topic: Im 22 & 3months old should i go bald  (Read 20919 times)

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Im 22 & 3months old should i go bald
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:16 AM »
glad you decided to buzz it shorter and shorter.  it will then simply be you.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 06:04:31 AM »

Im going to embrace whatever my hair wants to do and let it be after all its just hair and confidence is worth so much more :).

Slight adjustment: "Embrace what YOU want to do."  Your hair isn't in charge any longer; it's time for you to take control.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Andrei

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
Welcome Lee,
Enjoy the experience, though I believe that once you'll buzz your hair you will rush the path to trying the sly look.
Good luck!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
There is just something about buzzing your hair. Once you start, it's like a (good) slippery slope. Before you know it, you'll be shaving your head bald.  And that last step is so confirming, that you won't want to go back to hair again. A smooth dome is a wonderful things to rub.

I'm still rubbing mine daily, after 11 months of shaving.  I really enjoy running my hands over my smooth dome.  Still get great comments from people at work.  They continue to confirm the ideas sly/bald look.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 06:11:04 PM »
Welcome Lee, I'm really glad you chose to take control!

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »
Welcome and enjoy it! Keep us posted.

Offline F77Scot

• Sly
  • Bald and Bearded...and loving it!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
Go with what feels right for you, keep us updated. The guys here can provide great support

Offline bud

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 01:24:22 AM »
... as razor x said... ;)

Offline Lee Layfield

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
Hey update time, Ive got my hair cut shorter now using a 7. I got myself a razor going from 0.30 to 4 inch and started with the 2.30 inch cut. I plan on using a 6 at the start of January and so on. I can still see my hair thinning  which does upset me but not nearly as much. Sadly Ive returned/reached another hurdle now.

As Ive begun to tell people about my plan Ive had mixed views. Firstly i accept going sly and am enjoying watching my progress and i don't care for what 99.99% of people think but i do for that 00.01%. Both my parents STRONGLY disagree with the idea as does my sister while the rest of my family don't think its a good idea and say i should keep my hair until I'm 30 (no way I'm doing that) One of my coworkers who is a mother said "do you dislike your hair, how is your confidence and what about a girlfriend if you have one"?. She told me if i want to do it then do it follow your heart and you'll soon find happiness. while my boss said "NO, i didn't even notice your hair thinning", only to then say she finds bald men unattractive.

Secondly my guy friends don't mind and will be the same though i will get a bald joke sometimes. Then the girls say all sorts but warn me ill have to win them over with my new look, which i will with my new confidence. When i told one of by best friends she didn't even give me a response just a strange look and silence, this was the first time i felt that me going sly will hurt the people around me, we still talk and get on the same now :).

Lastly there's a girl i like and were going to a new years eve party together and at midnight i going to ask her to be my girlfriend :). But what if shes like my boss and finds sly guys unattractive i haven't told her about my hair and don't really want to but what if were only at the start of a relationship and i go sly and she finds it ugly and it ends before it can really begin. i should probably say shes a friend of the girl that went silent when i told her and Ive had a crush on her for a while now.

So that's my situation I'm happy to go sly and enjoying make my way there. one reason I'm going slow is so everyone can adjust to it as i think a few of you mentioned when you told me about this method. But with so many people against it i don't know what to do and with this girl i like she might hate it and if she does i don't think ill have the confidence to win everyone else over, its a double or nothing and it has to work.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
Glad to hear you got some clippers to start doing the deed.

Regards to family/friends they will come around. Most people dislike the idea of being bald but when you actually do it, they don't really mind.

Being bald is a great look, when was the last time you heard a lady say Vin Diesel is ugly? People dislike the idea if being bald but in reality it suits most people.

Re: your soon to be girlfriend.
If she doesn't choose to date you because of your hair, you were better off without her IMO.
It's about confidence not hair, if your confident you will be fine.

Good luck mate!
Lynchy

Andrei

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 01:43:47 AM »
When you tell someone that you're thinking to shave your hair they don't know if they will like it or not because they haven't seen you sporting the look yet.
Further more, you are not sure if you'll like or not, then how can they be sure the won't like it?
It's just a haircut, this should be your decision.
I went from a full head of long hair to a full head of #0 buzz and I managed ok and so have others.
So, if you want the sly look then go for it!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »
Wow, you're coming up with lots of reasons to avoid going sly. And they are all reasons from "other people."

What do you want to do?

Bald jokes from friends? No big deal ... especially if you've got a sense of "hair humor" and can just as easily make jokes about your hairlessness - it takes the power out of their jab.

Also, I think you are doing way too much pre-publicity. If you just continue cutting it a little bit shorter each month everyone will adjust without really noticing the change.

Lastly, if your appearance is the primary reason the new girl likes you ... doesn't that signal something? And if it IS the hair, what happens when the hair naturally disappears? Don't you really want someone who appreciates your inner qualities? I know - exterior, first impressions, and all that. But seems to me exuding confidence trumps about everything else physical.

You're making this really complicated and it is consuming way too much of your time, thoughts and conversation.

HOWEVER ... if it were me (which it isn't) I think I would probably just cut it all off and be done with it, and begin living the "New and Real You." You have so much living ahead of you, do you really want to be diddling time away with hair concerns?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:35:55 AM by Frontier Guy »
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 08:50:55 AM »
You're soliciting opinions from too many people; rarely is that going to result in any kind of consensus.  Your family is dead set against it, yet you're clearly still thinking about doing it.  That suggests that it's something that you want to try, and for that reason alone, you should do it.

You can always come up with excuses not to do it.  You owe it to yourself to give it a try.  You may find that you don't like it (I don't think you will dislike it but it's always a remote possibility), and if you don't you let your hair grow back.  But even if you don't like it, you won't regret having tried it.  You'll be glad that you took the time to find out. But you will regret not trying it and will always wonder what would have happened if you had tried it.

There's only one way to put this matter to rest and I think you know what that is.   :)

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 08:01:55 PM »
Lastly there's a girl i like and were going to a new years eve party together and at midnight i going to ask her to be my girlfriend :). But what if shes like my boss and finds sly guys unattractive i haven't told her about my hair and don't really want to but what if were only at the start of a relationship and i go sly and she finds it ugly and it ends before it can really begin. i should probably say shes a friend of the girl that went silent when i told her and Ive had a crush on her for a while now.

Like many others here I would probably just shave it off now too. However, I'm not a young bloke and have little hope or interest in a girlfriend.

If you haven't shaved it yet you could ask her first to be your girlfriend and then broach the subject after she knows you better and you have bonded more strongly. Once you have a secure bond I am sure that she will be thrilled with the idea of a slick skull. And if she doesn't want to be your girlfriend when you have hair you could say [sort of as a joke to make everything light-hearted] "that you would be prepared to make the great sacrifice and shave your head for her if she would be your girlfriend". What have you got to lose? You will be the first person to have ever made this offer to her and it may get her thinking of you -- she will probably never forget it.

If she says no to this too then shave away and feel the freedom. It is reversible at your age so no problem.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:05:00 PM by voidoid aka Gary »

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »
Great ideas Gary!