Confidence and Success > Fitness/Diet

I need some help guys......

(1/5) > >>

Viking:
I've not really been around here for a couple of months but I was allways made to feel welcome so I'm after some advice or even just a place to vent off.  :)

Getting straight to the point, I'm really struggling at the moment with my relationship with food. A bit of background, I'm now 30 and being honest I've allways been the fat kid, it never really bothered me growing up as it didn't restrict me doing anything (despite being big I wasn't that unfit, in fact probably got me my place on the rugby team!) and also I was never teased or bullied over it, plus I didn't struggle to pick up chicks!  ;D Then after school 2 great things happened that also had negative side affects on my body, I got a long term girlfriend and I got an ok paid job. Between the two I guess i pretty much let myself go throughout my 20's, I guess when you find the love of your life you get lazy and having enough money spare to support bad habbits meant that I did/do over endulge myself.

Now I'm 30 and over the 20 stone barrier and I'm finding things hard, my diet is absolute trash, I'd make excuses about my job and lifestyle leaving me tired and/or busy but I know deep down they are just excuses. It's not unusual for my daily food intake to be along the lines of crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks taken on the go between calls at work during the day then the evening being a take away pizza, chinese etc.... again washed down with fizzy drinks. It's got to a point where I wake up feeling crap and feel crap throughout the day but I'm in a vicous cycle which I'm really struggling to break.

Worrying receantly I quite often find myself eating when I'm not really even that hungry or buying way more food than I want when I do eat. I used to enjoy a good take away meal, but that was when it was a treat and something I'd have rarely, now I find myself not even enjoying them but still splashing the cash on them. I'd be one of the first to think or say "just stop doing it then", it seems so simple in theory, spend less on healthier food = feeling better and more spare cash, but I can't seem to get it.

I've gone on multiple health kicks and diets, I usually last about a month, drop a stone or so and actually feel more awake and energised but then I allways fall off that wagon. I'm sure it's a mental thing but I can't get my head round it, I know I'm essentially endangering my body and health but I'm really struggling.

I don't know if anyone out there has any advice or has been through a similar situation, I'm just feeling real lost and down about it. I need to change, I want to change, I can't figure out why I can't.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, like I said I think I needed a place to vent out loud.

Thanks

D.A.L.U.I.:
You used the weight "stone" so I make the assumption you're one of the many UK SBG's.  It sounds like you need some coaching, extra "moral" support & counseling for your goal to become reality.  A good place to start might be the Weight Watchers program.  See: www.weightwatchers.co.uk.  Then follow up with an exercise program and some positive reinforcement.  Hard to get control of, but weight could be one of the most important factors in your long term health situation.  Good luck.  And,  ;)  a great exercise to master is a simple one, push away from the table.  Couple that with parking in the part of the parking lot furthest from your goal when shopping also helps. 

Natedawg:
There is no easy way around changing your diet habits. You have to find YOUR way to get over your food cravings and stay over them. It has to come from within. That's what makes it so damned difficult...
As saintc said, some coaching/encouragement may be in order here. Maybe at least find a workout or diet buddy, if organizational clubs aren't your thing.
You definitely have the initial drive/desire to make the changes you want. No doubt about that. You just need to find a steady source of motivation. Good luck, brother.  O0

Sir Harry:
One thing that has helped me as of late (BTW I'm 10 years older than you) is to occupy my mind when I have the urge to reach for food. Usually, exercise is good, but I like to get into word puzzles, or just finding something to clean or even just hang on this site and talk to others. A big thing that helps is that drinking water or low calorie drinks tends to curb my appetite. Another easy appetite killer is peanut butter. I mix it in my smoothies. Stick around and there are plenty of tips to help you through this. Good luck!

leighmundo40:
I can certainly empathise with your situation!

I have a friend who goes to "Slimming World" he got over the fact that he was one of the few guys, and kind of relished being mothered!

He also goes to talk to a counselor about his relationship with food. He acsessed this support via his GP, which would require you to go and say to them face to face what you so eloquently posted here.

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version