Author Topic: First BBQ of the season!  (Read 9068 times)

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
Re: First BBQ of the season!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »
Awesome, SlyFive.. I've never heard of BBQ bananas, but will now be trying it myself.  Our winters are usually so mild here in Florida, that I don't have any excuse not to.  I have done some pineapples (trying to mimic something I had in Brazil that was amazing. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
I can see it now in my UGG boots and my North Face parka.

I know exactly what you mean!  I've stood outside in the snow grilling because some foods just can be enjoyed any other way.  Oh, the price we northerners pay...

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
Awesome, SlyFive.. I've never heard of BBQ bananas, but will now be trying it myself.  Our winters are usually so mild here in Florida, that I don't have any excuse not to.  I have done some pineapples (trying to mimic something I had in Brazil that was amazing. 

Glad to hear someone else is embracing barbecue deserts. pineapple is amazing with brown sugar and bruised fresh mint leaves, and a tiny bit of chilli if you're feeling adventurous, sound weird but it's amazing. Another favourite is sticky mango parcels. get a banana leaf (foil lined with greaseproof paper will also do), put a serving of pre cooked sticky rice in the middle, grate over some palm sugar, top with sliced fresh mango, some fresh vanilla bean, and a few slugs of coconut cream, seal and barbecue for 10-15, it's amazing.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 01:38:53 AM »
We are year 'round BBQers in my family too, but we don't really have a reason not to be, the coldest it gets where I live is a max temperature of 10C during the day in the middle of winter, and we don't get snow this close to sea level here

Slyfive, your desserts sound amazing!

Do you get dim sims over there? I have heard they are an Australasian food, don't know if they extend across the Tasman too. But they go amazingly on a BBQ, whenever I tell my friends about it (I was put onto it by a friend myself) they always scoff at me until they try it themselves, it's become a bit of a staple at my BBQ sessions haha.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »
The dim sim was developed in Melbourne by Chinese chef William Wing Young for his restaurant "Wing Lee" in 1945.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 06:20:22 AM »
Ahhh, Beardman.  I've never heard of a dim sim, but just looked it up.  That sounds pretty good. 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 06:42:31 AM »
Ahhh, Beardman.  I've never heard of a dim sim, but just looked it up.  That sounds pretty good. 

I agree with Myke.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 09:35:41 AM »
That barbecue looks awesome. You are making me hungry. We use our grill pretty much year around although less in the winter depending on the weather.

We are grilling hamburgers tonight. Can't wait.

The banana's recipe sounds great.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
Never but a dim sim on the barbie, I should try that! And I'm glad you guys like the sound of my deserts. Always happy to share.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »
The dim sim was developed in Melbourne by Chinese chef William Wing Young for his restaurant "Wing Lee" in 1945.

I knew they were developed in Australia, didn't know the exact history though, what an awesome name for a restaurant! I just didn't know if they had reached the Kiwi shores, I mean we've been stealing their ideas for years, I just don't know what we give them in return haha!

I agree with Myke.

They are one of Australia's great culinary delights, along with Tim Tams and Vegemite (even if very few outside of Australia agree :P )

Never but a dim sim on the barbie, I should try that! And I'm glad you guys like the sound of my deserts. Always happy to share.

You should bro, they go great on the BBQ

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »
I've been BBQ'ing bananas for years with people thinking I was odd, it's good to know I'm not the only one!!  ;D

Definatly not BBQ season up here in the North of England, we've just had our first snow and -ve C's of the season. It'll make getting the BBQ out next year that bit sweeter!!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
I've been BBQ'ing bananas for years with people thinking I was odd, it's good to know I'm not the only one!!  ;D

Definatly not BBQ season up here in the North of England, we've just had our first snow and -ve C's of the season. It'll make getting the BBQ out next year that bit sweeter!!

It's always barbecue weather! How do you do yours?

Slynito

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »
I'm fixin to smoke a turkey this week, I wonder if I should throw some fruit in with it....hummm?   ???

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
prunes, apples, onions, salt, pepper, and a dash of mustard. It cooks down to a kind of chutney and flavours the bird a treat