Various Non-Bald Discussions > Military/Serviceman

Refused by the VFW

(1/2) > >>

Blitzed:
I had applied for membership carefully noting that I'd served as an ally of the United States but from another country. (South Africa). I received a rather snippy letter telling me only American Veterans were eligible. I cannot find where it says that to join you have to be an American Vet, certainly I'm now a citizen of the United States and during the Viet Nam war served with American troops. It looked like war and was certainly foreign to all of us. I can probably see why they'd draw the line but with declining membership I would have thought they'd have welcomed me. Anybody have an opinion or a comment about this?

Sir Harry:
That's shocking...As far as I know, as long as you were a citizen during your service, I don't see why they wouldn't accept you. I will ask my local VFW if there is a rule saying that you must be a natural born citizen (not naturalized) to be accepted. The only rule I know where you must be born an American citizen to be eligible is to run for President or Vice President but that's about it.

tomcj2:
They may be correct (but not morally justified) in refusing your application.  According to their web site:
There are three primary requisites for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars
of the United States: (1) U.S. Citizen or U.S. National (2) Honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States
(3) Service entitling the applicant to the award of a recognized campaign medal or as set forth in the Congressional Charter
and By-Laws and Manual of Procedure and Ritual.

If I read your original message correctly, you were a member of the South African Armed Forces, who were fighting as an ally of the USA;  if that is indeed correct you did not have Honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States] and therefore not eligible.

They are also very particular about the exact period during which a person served.  The full details can be seen at http://www.vfw.org/uploadedFiles/VFWorg/Join/sept2012%20ElgibilityFolder2.pdf

I understand that most veteran's organizations are having financial difficulties and difficulty keeping their membership numbers from declining. I am not surprised.

Slynito:
It's just like Tomcj2 said...

baldjoeg:
Hi Blitzed,

Thanks for your service. I think that is so infair to deny you a membership especially now that you are a citizen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version