Author Topic: Are balding men "Socially Obligated" to Shave Their Heads?  (Read 14018 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Re: Are balding men "Socially Obligated" to Shave Their Heads?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »
I don't think they are socially obligated....even if they wear a ponytail!  But they do owe it to themselves to try being sly or buzzing the fringe down!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »
So my question to you guys is, is this just a personal prejudice of mine, or is it a "new social attitude" amongst the latest generation towards balding men? What do you think? Is there a social stigma now associated with balding men who refuse to shave their heads?

Personal prejudice. No question.
That being said you're not alone with it, this type of thing extends into every facet of our western culture. I think that "we" (western culture) at large have a problem with the "live and let live" style. Sometimes this manifests as a harmless judgement and sometimes it goes a bit further.
Maybe in the process of casting a person with a ragged horseshoe or a combover in a negative light we miss an opportunity to hear words of real wisdom concerning the age old question of "why are we here?". Maybe this man is so content with his life and how he relates to the world that his hairstyle is down near the bottom of his list of priorities.
Of course the first four words of my post would indicate that I am a fan of judgement, as well. I don't know, maybe it makes me feel as though I have some measure of control. Or maybe I think I can sway the opinions of those around me. Whatever the case may be I have to ask myself if my judgements really change anything for the better.
Probably not.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

BBCAlex

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
The only obligation that an individual has is to their self. Do whatever you want to do so long as you arent coercing or hurting someone else. 

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 10:24:56 AM »
I wouldn't say there was a social stigma per se, but shaving is definitely becoming the norm.

Agreed. Especially here in London, where shaved heads are just too common these days.

I might buck the trend and start growing my hair back.  ;)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
I agree with the previous comments made about this issue. I think that it is a personal choice. Even though it took me awhile to shave the dome smooth, I am glad that I did it. I feel better with the smooth dome. It helped my self confidence a lot. I am not really concerned whether or not others like it or not. It is me and part of who I am.

I like to compliment other sly guys on how good they look. I get mixed reactions but I think that most sly guys appreciate the compliment.

I look at it this way - either you have hair or you don't I make the best out of the situation.

Sly domeshave become more popular.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
I don't think there is any social pressure - - - but a shaved head sure looks better and feels better when a guy is balding   
Most balding guys have enough sense to shave their heads  - - -after all we are better looking than guys with hair  - - - -

Mother Nature just created so many "beautiful heads" and the rest she covered with hair - - - -

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
Mangosink mate  O0  lol

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
  ... Notice in a lot of commercials you see guys with MPB horseshoes sporting a moustache and actually look decent ...

We do?   ???  What commercials are you talking about?  I can't think of any except for the Acura commercial Dr. Phil is in.  And I really don't think he looks great. 

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »
  ... Notice in a lot of commercials you see guys with MPB horseshoes sporting a moustache and actually look decent ...

We do?   ???  What commercials are you talking about?  I can't think of any except for the Acura commercial Dr. Phil is in.  And I really don't think he looks great. 

You'd probably have to go back a few years. There are guys that fit the description I just mentioned in the old Cheer Detergent Commercials, the life insurance commercial where the guy puts his pocket change into a jar and the Bud Light commercial where the guy's toupee flies off while riding a bike (does that count?) I'm sure you could find a few on YouTube...I just said they look decent because that's how I remember my grandfather who was horseshoe bald with a moustache, (God, how I miss him)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »

You'd probably have to go back a few years. There are guys that fit the description I just mentioned in the old Cheer Detergent Commercials, the life insurance commercial where the guy puts his pocket change into a jar and the Bud Light commercial where the guy's toupee flies off while riding a bike (does that count?) I'm sure you could find a few on YouTube...I just said they look decent because that's how I remember my grandfather who was horseshoe bald with a moustache, (God, how I miss him)

I don't really remember any of those.  I'll check YouTube.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »

I don't really remember any of those.  I'll check YouTube.

While on YouTube, you could check out the Sesame Street Mad Painter Skits....Horseshoe bald guy with a handlebar moustache is constantly getting victimized by the Mad Painter (he does get even on a few of the skits, however)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: