Author Topic: To Shave or Not To Shave: With a Hair Transplant Scar  (Read 22236 times)

Offline HeadChange

• Learning the way of Sly
To Shave or Not To Shave: With a Hair Transplant Scar
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
Here is my delema; I've been on propecia and rogaine for years, fighting and struggling to maintain the hair that I did have.  I got suckered into a hair transplant surgery that I have been disappointed with from the beginning, and I've been teetering on the verge of shaving for years. 

About 3 months ago, I made the decision to stop taking propecia (Proscar, actually) because it was affecting me sexually, mentally, etc.  I have a young and gorgeous girlfriend that I didn't want to deal with the ED results of proscar, so I quit, for good.  The last 2 months have been OK, but the last month has seen a substantial increase in hair loss and hair density.  I'm loosing my hair, and it doesn't seem like rogaine is doing "$h!t" for me.  The challenge?  I have a nice long hair transplant scar that runs the back of my head from ear to ear. 

I've thought about getting a $3000 scar restoration surgery, but again, I'm sick of doctors and pharma messing with my body!  So do I continue using Rogaine and just deal with the hair loss until all i'm left with are the weird but strong hair follicles that were unnaturally planted in my power-allies? Also, I'm dealing with a really itchy scalp all of the time; something that that started happening when I discontinued proscar.  I equate it to my hair follicles dying.  Ahhh, what to do...hair loss is such a bitch!

I SO want to shave it, but I'm embarrased by the scar, and what my co-workers, friends, etc. will think about me and ask about me when they see that I transitioned from an aggressively thinning 33 year old man to a totally white headed bald 33 year old man with a huge scar across the back of his head.  I'm also afraid that people will think I'm a neo-nazi or something...I don't want to be prejudged as anything that I am not!

Any help or suggestions would be so much appreciated.  Thanks Sly Guys...

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: To Shave or Not To Shave: With a Hair Transplant Scar
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »
Give the headshave a try.....Many guys here have had some form of HT that they regretted....and many say they felt free once they shaved it off, scar or no scar. I have about three or four scars on the back of my head but they were due to surgeries not HT. But even so, I don't let them bother me, my scars are what make my head...mine. Most people are too busy with their own lives to worry about your shaved head, and as far as the scar, anybody with a life won't care. But if you are worried about the scar, a dermatologist can help you out, and there are plenty of over the counter creams that can help minimize the appearance. Good luck, man!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »
I have had very good results on HT scars using a fractional laser called Pixel. Im in the USA so not sure where you are or if there are dermatologists with access to this laser in your city but it flattens and shrinks HT scars. Also there is the micro tattooing method of using fine tattoo needles to simulate hair stubble many guys are trying now. Check out HIS Hair and read their forums and see picturs of HT scars tattooed over. You have to buzz down or shave to make it seem natural for the most part. Guys have even done their entire heads as you will see. This is catching on all over the world now. I met the founder last month and he looked as if he just shaved his head and had a dark stubble all over with no hair loss. Yet he has hair growing only on the sides/back he shaves off. The "stubble" is the micro tattoo. You would never know it was a tattoo unless you touched his head and he did his 10 years ago.  I may do that on my own HT scars but want to do more Pixel laser first to smooth them down and shrink them further. Nothing will totally erase these HT scars but all this comes very close. PM if you want to. There is a solution now.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:10:37 AM »
As sir Harry wrote, there have been quite a number of guys here who have dealt with HT scars in one way or another. Most I think decided to just get over the scar's existence and begin living a normal life, regardless of what people might think. I believe that is the best way to go ... you can obsess over a scar, I can obsess over weight, John1 can obsess over a missing tooth (I'm making these up, John2 can obsess over an uneven stride. In all of these cases, "we" worry what others will think -- and for the most part they're not going to think anything about it because they have enough issues in their own lives to deal with.

Although there may be some means of addressing these issues, in most cases these physical characteristics are going to remain - like a HT scar. Are you going to allow your scar to determine your level of happiness for the rest of your life.

I've lived a lot of decades (with many more to go) and finally learned to just move on so that every day is as full of joy and excitement (and gratitude) as it possibly can be.

My suggestions ... trim down your hair significantly. Assess whether laser treatment is appropriate and worth the expense. Perhaps visit a dermatologist for other scar remediation treatments. Accept that hair loss ultimately wins. Then take the lead and simply cut it off and enjoy the liberation. Perhaps have some clever anecdotes ready in case anyone mentions the scar - like how access to your brain was needed to activate super powers for world peace. Something disarming that will move the conversation along to anything else.

Haven't you been held hostage by hair issues long enough?
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Raiden

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
I'd recommend getting some Nizoral shampoo for your scalp. Completely stops the MPB itch. Cost about £7 for 60ml, but as you only need to use it once every 3 days it lasts a while.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
As sir Harry wrote, there have been quite a number of guys here who have dealt with HT scars in one way or another. Most I think decided to just get over the scar's existence and begin living a normal life, regardless of what people might think. I believe that is the best way to go ... you can obsess over a scar, I can obsess over weight, John1 can obsess over a missing tooth (I'm making these up, John2 can obsess over an uneven stride. In all of these cases, "we" worry what others will think -- and for the most part they're not going to think anything about it because they have enough issues in their own lives to deal with.

Although there may be some means of addressing these issues, in most cases these physical characteristics are going to remain - like a HT scar. Are you going to allow your scar to determine your level of happiness for the rest of your life.

I've lived a lot of decades (with many more to go) and finally learned to just move on so that every day is as full of joy and excitement (and gratitude) as it possibly can be.

My suggestions ... trim down your hair significantly. Assess whether laser treatment is appropriate and worth the expense. Perhaps visit a dermatologist for other scar remediation treatments. Accept that hair loss ultimately wins. Then take the lead and simply cut it off and enjoy the liberation. Perhaps have some clever anecdotes ready in case anyone mentions the scar - like how access to your brain was needed to activate super powers for world peace. Something disarming that will move the conversation along to anything else.

Haven't you been held hostage by hair issues long enough?
X 1 O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline HTalternative

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
Hello , just joined - thanks in advance for the support here :

I had 2 HT in 90's and feel like Ive seen already here that I was " played" by the so called Surgeons or Doctors. I accept this as my responsibility and learn a great deal of myself for the mistake.

I have no doubt that I want to shave completely but have a horrendous scar from the first HT where the doctor cut in to donor site - too low. This makes cutting and removing the scar difficult because that area ( more neck than head) is stretchable skin and will most likely - re-scar.

Looking for advisement on how to rid my life of the scar so I can move onwards without the day to day reminder of mistake of my youth.......

Can someone recommend the exact laser treatments or solution for my particular scenario.....thanks gents.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »
A fractional laser will help greatly as it has on my  neck from too low of donor hair removed. you have to have multiple sessions but the scars do shrink with a Pixel brand fractional laser. have them turn up the power to the highest intensity and use plenty of numbing cream before.

Enter your email address: