Author Topic: 18 and balding! confidence rock bottom  (Read 26433 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Re: 18 and balding! confidence rock bottom
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 05:15:22 AM »
@Skottakist, your profice pic made me burst out laughing!  very funny! ;D

To "Youngandbalding.  Do yourself a favour,  stop trying to battle the hair loss with hats, lotions or anything else.  Give the way of Sly one month and see if you can live with it.  There is a good chance you may like it.  Sly is becoming more popular and more accepted socially.  If a girl likes you Sly, then chances are she has fallen in love with your heart and your personality, which is the main thing.  I have seen a few profile pics of guys in their early twenties here who look very handsome bald.  You will never know unless you try it...
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
Well said Waine

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Waine and Daniel - -I am with you all the way - - -

Go for it  - -Bald is wonderful - -It looks good - - feels wonderful and gives you great freedom - - -BALD is BEAUTIFUL

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 01:46:26 AM »
G'day man,

I have a similar tale of balding from a young age, I started receding from about 13-14 years old, and by the time I was 18 it was already (to me quite noticeable) I grew it out for a while to try and do the comb over but I would get really bad scabs in my head if I wasn't buzz cut, so then I would live in a cap, all day from when I got up until when I went to bed. Towards the end of last year a family friend suggested I go completely bald like him, and at first I laughed it off, but it got my thoughts in motion... I've now at the age of 26 been sly for 5 months today (wow, time flies) and I feel so much better for it, and wish I had the thought to do the deed at your age, I would probably be so much better off for it now.

I've even managed to get myself a couple of dates since going sly too, which I could never bring myself to do while I had hair... As they say, you can't expect someone to love you, until you love yourself.

My best advice I can give you mate, is to give the 30 day rule a try, if you don't like the sly look at the end of 30 days then in a week you'll be already back to a no guard cut and well on your way to having hair again. Shaving every day (or every other) for 30 days gives not only you, but those around you time to adjust to the new you, while giving you time to hone your new shaving technique and routine.

Oh btw, you don't have to be 8% body fat wish washboard abs to pick up chicks as a sly guy, you just have to have the balls to ask them :D IF they aren't interested then they aren't the right girl for you, eventually you'll find a keeper  O0

Offline Scottakist

• Sly Jr.
  • Permanent Color Technician
    • Permanent Color Technicians
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 05:53:50 AM »
Damn right beard man
Well said.
If your not having fun... Your doing it wrong.

theman

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
Great Posts from the Heart and Soul on here.  Enough said !   O0

Offline Jamieon

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
Hang in there bro

Like beardman I also noticed hair loss at around the age of 14/15.. It sucked. At 18 I was shaving with a zero blade and now at 20 I still use the zero blade.. Between the ages of 16-18 I was so depressed about it but now looking back I feel stupid for letting it get me down so much..

You are who you are dude, nobody is going to change that, you just need to up that confidence and self-esteem.. Trust me the girls sense confidence. Im Single but I have no problem with the ladies. During my balding cycle I realised the only reason I cared so much was because I thought It would end any chance of a relationship or a life ! Well I,ll tell you this It doesnt

Live your life man...Smell the fresh air your alive!!

Good luck

Jay

Offline MarkusToe

• Sly
  • spring is coming
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »
I'm not yet bald but it won't be long till I am and I am single again for about a month now. You can read it in another post from me that I was really depressed some days ago - thought that I willhave to be lonely from now and never find a girlfriend again - but I realized that I always had those thoughts after a breakup or while being single - and it always turned out not to be true. always had very attractive girlfriends and you know what? even though I was in a relationship with a beutiful girl I always had those feelings of self doubt - and I am sure thats why I didn't get to know the right one for me yet, because "water seeks its own level" - now I am working on my self-esteem and it has nothing to do with hair - my hair was holding me back, always thought I would be more happy with myself if I try a new hair style - so I wasn't forced to look at the important issues. Its not easy, thats for sure, I had my days of anxiety and hopelesness but when you take the chance and learn to deal with your fears you will feel relief thats worth all the trouble you had to go through

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
Markus, you're correct:

always thought I would be more happy with myself if I try a new hair style

Sly!

You need to think of this as a new style, not as a loss of something.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:48:58 PM by Frontier Guy »
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline MarkusToe

• Sly
  • spring is coming
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »
Markus, you're correct:

always thought I would be more happy with myself if I try a new hair style

Sly!

You need to this of it as a new style, not as a loss of something.

I'm thinking of it as a loss of my false hopes which finally results in more freedom

Offline RichieRichie

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
Yeah, okay balding at 18 kind of stinks.

Do you have a terminal illness?  -No
Is it the end of the world? -No
Are you going to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and be the best damn version of your self that you can be? Hopefully yes.

NW2 isn't terrible, keep it buzzed. Hit the gym and start lifting some weights in a few months people will think you're an UFC fighter and the ladies be all like  :@`   :px      :D

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:57 AM »
I am just a few years younger than you and I am completely bald now and absolutely love it. It has helped a lot with being bald now and don't have to worry about hair no more just got tired of it and took it off. I know it is difficult with deciding but it will probably help a lot if you shave your head. Most peoples confidence has to come from with in and you will have to do what will make you happy. I say go ahead and shave your head and if you don't like it go for the buzzed look. Just make the decision that you feel is right and go with it. Hopes this help O0

prixmo93

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
I can certainly understand how you feel, I started thinning out at 17 and it was pretty much all downhill from there.   I was completely devastated then a couple of years ago I started buzzing until I finally went sly at the beginning of the year as sort of a new years resolution.

I have to say that the confidence that going sly has given me rates up there with losing 50 lbs when I was 18.  I went in assuming it would just be a different way to cope with being bald but instead it really does feel like I finally found the right haircut that works for me.

As others have said I would at least give it a try and see if you like it, you might find out that it's your best haircut yet!

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
I can certainly understand how you feel, I started thinning out at 17 and it was pretty much all downhill from there.   I was completely devastated then a couple of years ago I started buzzing until I finally went sly at the beginning of the year as sort of a new years resolution.

I have to say that the confidence that going sly has given me rates up there with losing 50 lbs when I was 18.  I went in assuming it would just be a different way to cope with being bald but instead it really does feel like I finally found the right haircut that works for me.

As others have said I would at least give it a try and see if you like it, you might find out that it's your best haircut yet!

This confidence boost is just so common it's unreal. I still haven't quite worked out why it is so but it is. I bet someone could write a book just about this.