Author Topic: Shout-out to Slyettes!  (Read 13320 times)

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Shout-out to Slyettes!
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »
Hi,   
I'm happy to find this website!  I'm not entirely new to headshaving, as I've been buzzing for a few years, but this is the first time I went below 1/16th inch. 

I'm totally returning the shaver I bought today (let's just say BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!) and going to try another.  Suggestions?  I don't want to break the bank, but I want the SMOOTH (not sandpaper-ish) feel with an electric shaver that doesn't take 1 whole hour! 

The obvious questions I have to deal with because I'm a Slyette:

Do you have cancer? No.

Are you a lesbian?  No, I'm perfectly straight.

Why would you want to shave your head?  I have really bad allergies to everything outdoors; I've seen an Allergist and an Immunologist, and neither are able to help me further, so to be able to apply anti-itch meds to my head, I decided to go hair-free.  Also helps me manage personal care because with my disabilities it takes less time and I won't get bed head when I'm stuck flat on my back for a few days at a time. 

What image/political statement are you trying to make?  I'm not trying to make a political statement.  And while my Mom had breast cancer, I didn't really shave my head for that either (she hates my shaved head, for the record, and wore a wig herself)...I did it for myself.  If there is any statement that needs to be made, I guess I'd just like to say "Women should be valued first and foremost for the fact that God loves all the people He has made and Jesus Christ died so that we may have life in Him.  We can appreciate what we see of God in each other's hearts.  It's fine to be attracted physically, but as people we all need to look beyond physical beauty which fades with time and see that which is eternal."   

I'll try to attach a photo, but it's not great quality because I used my phone's camera.  Nice to meet you all! 

Gutsy Girl

CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

marty22

Re: Shout-out to Slyettes!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »
welcome! Looks great on you....

Offline good to be bald

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
hi welcome looks O0 8)

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:36:30 AM »
Cute. Id recommend the Wahl 5 Star balding clipper. Best clipper on the market IMO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-8110-Professional-Balding-Clipper/dp/B000VVT94G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1351060509&sr=8-6

Nice to have you on board. x

Offline gutsygirl

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
I'm still sly for  now, and I bought Mach 3's and a can of barbasol today.  Will try them in the next few days.  I've been reading about how you guys do your headshave routine.  I keep coming across WTG and ATG - what do those acronyms mean? 

I'd like to keep my routine real simple.  After shower, barbasol, wet shave at sink (need mirror bc I'm a newbie) with Mach 3 with the grain, witch hazel and air dry, then coconut oil.  What do you think?  Missing anything super important?

And why do you guys exfoliate? 

THANKS!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
Welcome to the club.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
I'm still sly for  now, and I bought Mach 3's and a can of barbasol today.  Will try them in the next few days.  I've been reading about how you guys do your headshave routine.  I keep coming across WTG and ATG - what do those acronyms mean? 

I'd like to keep my routine real simple.  After shower, barbasol, wet shave at sink (need mirror bc I'm a newbie) with Mach 3 with the grain, witch hazel and air dry, then coconut oil.  What do you think?  Missing anything super important?

And why do you guys exfoliate? 

THANKS!

WTG - With the grain
ATG - Against the grain
XTG - Across the grain (90-degree offset from either of the above)

I think you've got your bases covered with your routine. It's really a matter of finding what is going to work well for you because everyone is different. And ... something that seemed important when you first start may no longer be necessary after the scalp adjusts to its new freedom.

Exfoliate is mostly to remove any dead skin cells. I've long exfoliated my face to open oily pores and its just easier to do face/scalp together. Again, it's really a personal preference. I may drop the scalp exfoliation from my routine one of these days.

Continued success to you.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline gutsygirl

• Sly
Re: Re: Shout-out to Slyettes!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:09:44 PM »
I did it!  I accomplished a Mach 3 shave today both WTG and ATG.  :)  Very smooth and nice.  Grateful for all the support here!  :D  I had no nicks nor any major razor burn this time, but I put a bit of hydrocortizone creme on my head afterwards to relieve a bit of the feeling of irritation. 

Hopefully I'll remember to post a new pic soon or set up a profile picture. 

Thanks, guys and gals!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:05 AM »
Hooray! Celebrating your success! Congratulations ... doesn't it feel great?
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 06:37:41 AM »
Congrats, GutsyGirl! :)

Glad it went well!
Just say no to rugs!

Offline eric79

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
Welcome GutsGirl to the family. Glad to see some of the ladies on here. You have an interesting story of why you went sly. I hope we can continue to support you as well as you support us.

Eric

Offline gutsygirl

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »
Thanks!  :D  I'm cool with the Sly life now.  Still get questions, but I guess I'm used to them after a few months.  :)  I love this forum.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »
Unfortunately I think you'll always get questions. A slyette is just a little bit rarer then a sly guy :P I bet by now you've got your queue cards all sorted out for your responses now though  :*))

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »
Thanks!  :D  I'm cool with the Sly life now.  Still get questions, but I guess I'm used to them after a few months.  :)  I love this forum.
;) 8) O0 
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 07:14:02 PM »
I'm on day 5 and I'm already so much more at ease.  Not too many questions tho cos it's been cold so I've been wearing hats :)

Most of my friends and family don't know and are going to FLIP, at which point I will give them unsolicited advice about their haircuts.

I dunno why it just always seemed like a cool think to try.  so I did.