Author Topic: Serious Sly lookin for some tips/help/vent place!  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Sincerely Sly Dude

• Learning the way of Sly
Serious Sly lookin for some tips/help/vent place!
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »
I am sure this topic is beaten to death and I am a long time readed and follower, so I have read most of them. Glad to finally be here can already feel the love. Quick run down before I get in to the basics.

28 year old white male with really dark curly hair with the landing strip missing up top. I have been shaving basically Sly for about 2-3 years so this is all nothing new. For how wierd this will sound...I have a good dome to be Sly or so I am told. I pretty much assume 100% I have sensitive skin as well.

General shave routine is to take a hot/shower, get out dry lower half off, Head Slick it up (I think this is a major issue in my main problem) and use the Headblade with the Headblade triple razors, when done I have this Witch Hazel/Alcohol mix stuff from Walgreens throw that all over, then air dry.

I have basically used every single razor, disposable, electric, random shaving creams/gels, BUMP PATROL once wow that sucked.

I go against the grain, If I am going to shave it needs to be BALD!

I would say over the last year or 1.5 years shaving has gotten really bad for me...almost to the point where I have given up sometimes.

Like I said I am 28 and was blessed with good teenage years in regards to acne, something over the past year has sort of caused me to break out permanently. Forehead, temple area, OMFG the back of my neck. I went to dermatologist and was prescribed 3 antibitocs, 2 creams 1 pill form to rub on the affected area and was never really given a reason. She seemed to throw my shaving under the bus.

I would say over the past year I have gotten 2-3 shaves where I dont have some little random bump just get totally demolished and never seem to heal. Mostly on sides of my dome where with the Headblade going against the grain I seem to have some issues here. I have demolished my dome a couple of times where the sides meet the top of my head... oh my lawd!!

I have wasted tons of money on various stuff and I feel like I am almost done with trying but I honestly cannot think of anything else I have changed or done differently over the past year other than not shave in shower anymore, now its in front of a mirror.

Anyone been in my boat and randomly come across something/someway of a turn around.

Before this gets to long I will just write off stuff I know I have tried for future replys.

Mach 3
Fusion
Atra blades on Headblade
2/3 blade disposables
Headblade Classic and Sport *Current*
Vibrating razors
Gillete Sensitive Skin shave gel
Barbasol
Oatmeal Shaving Gel
Handsome Jack Menthol Shave gel
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin shave gel
Headslick Menthol
Some Aloe and Vitamin C Shave soap from Walgreens with Shaving brush *Current* I do NOT feel like I get close as Headslick but its hypo-allergenic so idk..
Witch Hazel/Alcohol from Walgreens
Cold water rinse

Well in my head this was put together more fluid but now it kind of looks like random blabbering :)

I APPRECIATE ANY TIME AND REPLYS

Thank you very much for your time!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Serious Sly lookin for some tips/help/vent place!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:30:46 AM »
A couple of observations and suggestions.  First, if you have really tightly curly hair, you could be shaving too close--such that as the hairs grow in they "curl" in on the follicle and never emerge causing a bump and inflamation.  That could mean that you'll have to accept shaving with the grain.  However, you say that you've been sly for 2-3 years and this has only started in the last year.  So, reviewing what you have used, I'd suggest trying something a little different. 
First, when you're showering up--get a loofha pad, not the sponge, at Wal-Mart$2-3, and use that daily on your scalp to make sure everything is staying open and not getting clogged with oils, dead skin cells and just plain dirt.  After shaving, for a while use hydrogen peroxide to make sure you're minimizing the resident bacteria and critters that reside on the skin (watch it because it will bleach out a towel or shirts!)  Then get the lotion formulations of benzoyl peroxide 10%, and hydrocortizone.  Mix a little of each, about the size of a pea, in your palm and massage that into your freshly shaved scalp.  The bp controls acne-like eruptions, and the hydrocortizone will help calm down inflamation.  Then, at the end of the day wash that dome with a mild anti-acne, anti-bacterial soap like Cuticura, the blue bar, to keep the population of bacteria at a minimum.  You should wash it two even three times a day, particularly in the heat.  Finally, hats and pillowcases.  If you wear hats, make sure they're clean--sometimes they can be pretty dirty and since they sit right on freshly shaved skin they can be causing problems.  The same with pillowcases--change them two-even three-times a week.  Obviously, all the above can be summarized as, "Keep it clean, keep it clear."  Hope this helps.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »
What exactly did the dermatologist prescribe? I take Oreacea (oral med) daily and use a wash called Ovace and some cream called Aczone. It took a while but it finally seems to be under control.

About a year or so ago I began having trouble with bumps on the sides of my head. Switching to an electric razor helped. I tried going back to the blade a few times and the bumps came back each time. I tried the blade again four or five months ago and had no problem. I'm still blade shaving and bump free.  No idea why.

I think we can go through spells where the skin is more sensitive than other times. I would suggest shaving with the grain for a few months and see if it clears up. Once it has been under control for a good long time, try ATG again and see what happens.

Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:16 AM »
@Razor X

I was prescribed Clindomyacin and Tretinone (spelling im sure) both antibiotics and Doxycycline (pill form antibiotic). Supposed to use Clind in A.M and Tret in P.M. They seemed to have worked for the basic acne I had in surrounding areas but for example right now I have a big pimple/lesion/boil/very sore bump on the back of my neck on the right side. Basically giving me a headace it is so sore.
I have yet to find a electric razor that doesnt immediately make me regret thinking about using it :(

@Saint

I honestly do not think it the hair curling back into my folicle but it could very well be. I CAN honestly say I do no sort of pre-treatment scrub or loofa. I use head and shoulders shampoo with like 5% acne medicine in it but if I have recently shaven I might as well dip my head in acid. I sometimes mix with my witch hazel some triple anti-biotic ointment and that feels rather well. I think I have 10% Benzoyl Cream not Lotion, which I am seeing people say use the lotion, will look into that. For about a month, 2 months ago I was using Safeguard bar soap on my head, which is an strong anti-bacterial soap and while using, if felt great but about an hour ago my head was like oily as hell. So I stopped. I live in MN so its basically impossible for me to not wear a yet but it isnt cold yet. I can also say I do not change my pillow case alot/enough. I would say once a week (maybe) I know it makes sense but could this really be a big factor into my issues?

I eat like sh*t lol and lately I have been really stressed because me and the GF of 2 years broke up. I dont want to say that could be an issue but some of my girlfriends say it totally could be...?

Appreciate all the time and effort guys!

O0 Cheers

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
Oh and after reading some posts I have come to the conclusion I was using WAAAAAY to much Headslick. I am talking like a handful.

This new soap with brush I am using is nice and smells good, but I would rate the shave closeness a 3-4 where Headslick I was rocking 7-8. I just dont know if my skin likes all that menthol!! Can you break out from stuff in Headslick I wonder??

Umm another thing I learned today is that the adapator on the Headblade unit should be changed?? Yeah mine is about 2 years old and I have never changed it. I probably have thrown away thousands of them :( I have 2 at home though!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:24 AM »
Note: triple antibiotic ointment--over the counter stuff.  I had used that for years on various blisters, etc., only to find out from the skin doctor that I had developed an allergy to some ingredient in the ointment and that was causing more problems than it was solving.  Just thought I'd suggest that.  The creme formulations don't absorb well and leave a greasy residue--grease attracts stuff, including bad stuff and critters, and "glues" them to the scalp.  The lotions absorb and are gone in 3-5 minutes if you're not using to large a quantity.  I can hear you on the MN winters, but still, those hats and beanies have to be clean or they will cause trouble.  Safeguard is anti-bacterial, but it is anything but mild.  That's why I use the Cuticura on my face and scalp at least twice if not three times a day.  It's specially formulated to not inflame skin that's already having issues. 

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
Hey Sincerely,

You did not mention use of a pre-shave oil (like "Shave Secret"). Several fellows I know who have had major issues with bumps / breaking out / etc. experimented with Shave Secret ($4 at WalMart) and that solved the problem. As you may have read elsewhere in the forums - I put one drop on my razor blade and five drops in the palm of my hand and then massage that onto my scalp. Followed by a wee bit of HeadSlick.

Just a thought ...
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »
It is almost like I have a more severe skin issue going on. This doesnt seem to be getting any better. Its mainly behind my ears on the back of my dome are the most severe bigger ones. Then little smaller less noticable ones all along my hair line on my neck, more severe ones on the other side behind my other ear. Usually the ones by my ear ache so much I end up getting head aches and I never get them. I really dont think it is my shaving that is causing them. I think something is causing me to get acne everywhere.

Currently my forehead broke out horribly. Just my forehead though. Literally everywhere else on my face is fine, just eyebrows and up. I honestly think that something is going on inside and I have yet to find out what is going on. I have never had acne this bad and I am 28.

Currently I am not sly..I would probably have to check myself into the ER if I tried to shave.

Will look into this shave secret stuff.

p.s. I feel like I waste time at the Dermatologist the 2 times I have gone. I am in there maybe 30 min each time  :XX but I might have to get back in there.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
hmmm I took some pictures but they are too big to post! aaargh

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »
Use irfanview to resize your pictures. Our picasa, or other photo editing tools.

Aim for less than 65 k

Enter your email address: