Author Topic: October Sly Fitness Challenge  (Read 17947 times)

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: October Sly Fitness Challenge
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
have to figure a fitness routine that fits into life on the road in my rig....some good resources out there....I'll keep y'all posted.   Doin' dips between the seats, push-ups in the sleeper, using excercise bands for resistance, stuff like that....

I use such methods at home. I believe that joining a gym or paying for expensive home equipment is a waste. There are so many cheaper alternatives that are just as effective, if not more... I bought an excellent book a while back that really helped me learn some at-home techniques for exercising and weight training, and even had some good sections on the whole mindset of a successful workout.
http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html - unfortunately out of stock. More being printed (or so the notice on the site tells me).

Good luck to all of you with your October goals.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
Thanks for the link, Nate!   That might be along the lines of what I can apply to life on the road! O0

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
Ok so the September challenge for me failed, all my own doing so can't make any excuses. However my beer and steak in Amsterdam over my birthday was fantastic!!  ;D

a bit late checking in for this month I know but this morning out of the blue I got up and did 10k on the exercise bike and actually felt better afterwards. Ok not a massive amount but I havn't done any exercise since about the 90's (and I'm not kidding!) so I was pleased.

So this month I'm keeping it simple, my aims are:

- Start and maintain a daily fitness routine
- Get back on a healthy diet

No figures or goals this month, let's just get the ball rolling........

You did set yourself some pretty big goals to fulfil in what was it, 2 weeks? So don't be to hard on yourself, that and you went on holidays, you shouldn't expect to lose weight when you do that! I always expect to put on a kilo or 2 haha, even if I can still go for a run every morning and keep active during the day. Happy belated birthday too, it sounds like it was an awesome one!

As for your goals this month, I think your goals are perfect, you don't want to go big from word go, because that is when you will tire yourself out, or maybe worse injure yourself and then you will stop having fun, and that is when you will ruin your routine. Leave the goals like Ty and mine for when you have established yourself and know what you are capable of safely achieving  O0

I look forward to seeing how you go this month and cheering you along!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
I had a great workout today and I'm feeling good.  I'm going again tomorrow. :)

WARHAWK O0

That's the spirit mate, how many days a week are you up to now?
Hey Beardman:  Just maintaining my three times a week... which works for me for now.  Btw... I had another great workout today. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 01:01:34 AM »
That's awesome mate, keep up the good work, I've got a legs session tonight. We have just started doing full squats (going so deep that the hamstrings touch the calves, it is so much more intense, I love it :D ), I can almost lift as much as what I was by going parallel  which I am quite impressed with.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 07:49:56 AM »
Thanks for the link, Nate!   That might be along the lines of what I can apply to life on the road! O0

Glad to be of assistance. It really is a handy and informative book for people who do bodyweight/resistance workouts. Lots of exercises in there I never even thought of doing, and they have made a difference.  O0
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline TyMoore122

• Think....DO!
  • Sly
  • www.FriendsOfCFF.org
    • Friends of CFF in Washington State
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
Sounds like all is well on the Sly fitness front. Back to lifting for me tomorrow, see how the old arm holds up. On the cycling front been getting in 25 mile rides daily and rode my first Cyclocross event on Wednesday, that was a good work out and only crashed once :)

For those who don't now cyclocroos it is ----Road bike +hybrid knobbies + dirt + obstacles + pavement = fun! Ride, run and carry bike over obstacles and ride some more with 30-40 other adrenaline junkies :)

Cheers, Ty

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
Sounds like all is well on the Sly fitness front. Back to lifting for me tomorrow, see how the old arm holds up. On the cycling front been getting in 25 mile rides daily and rode my first Cyclocross event on Wednesday, that was a good work out and only crashed once :)

For those who don't now cyclocroos it is ----Road bike +hybrid knobbies + dirt + obstacles + pavement = fun! Ride, run and carry bike over obstacles and ride some more with 30-40 other adrenaline junkies :)

Cheers, Ty

That sounds like crazy fun!

Offline TyMoore122

• Think....DO!
  • Sly
  • www.FriendsOfCFF.org
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »
it was, and thanks to all the training fitness wasn't a issue....just the lack of skills  ::)

The storms have finally rolled into the Pacific northwest, but we are ready as we moved todays training ride indoors, my son likes he cause he can now xBox and ride  O0

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »
Haha, the skills will come with time! I'd be amazed if you said you won your first event... was it something you were able to train specifically for or did you just go in there not really knowing what to expect?

Xbox and cycling, I'd probably get too distracted to keep riding lol!

Offline TyMoore122

• Think....DO!
  • Sly
  • www.FriendsOfCFF.org
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 02:51:23 AM »
Its one of those times when you just need to get the experience, lots of seat time in the dirt and mud.  I knew what to expect and for the most part it was stay out of the way of the expert riders :). I really picked it for the fitness levels it drives. Had a great lifting session today, elbow held up quite well...
Cheers!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »
Hi Gents:  I have been feeling "under the weather" these past couple of days and I haven't been able to go to gym.  I'm hoping to feel better after this weekend.  Hope everyone's workouts are going well.

WARHAWK O0

Offline TyMoore122

• Think....DO!
  • Sly
  • www.FriendsOfCFF.org
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
Doing okay on my end, hit the weights 3 times this week and the cycling 4, gonna have to push the mileage to hit my monthly goal with all the business travel and rain. Had to use the hotel facilities to keep on track but getting it done :) Did manage to gain a couple pounds while on the road....but it sure tasted good  :P

Thanks for checking in Warhawk....how's everyone else coming along? Beardman?
Cheers,
Ty

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 02:14:21 AM »
I hear you mate, I'm probably going to put on a couple of pounds over the next week or so too, I'm going out for dinner thursday, a halloween dress up party saturday, and then my mates' band is playing sunday. So there is going to be a lot of food consumed and beverages drank, but all in good fun, so it will be worth it!

On the topic of progress though, I probably wont be hitting that 80kg squat, because we've changed from stopping parallel to the floor, to going all the way down. Having said that though I am still squatting 70 or 75 kgs (I forget, so I am not too far off, but I doubt I will hit it in time) I did 50kgs on flat bench last week, and will try it again this week so if I can hit it again I'll cool that challenge complete there too... just need to work on that program still haha! I guess I've still got 7-8 days to go... I might get it done :P

How is everyone else going? How are you feeling now Warhawk? Hope you are well and back in training again, I know it kills me when I have to miss a training day due to illness!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
@ TyMoore and Beardman:  WTG... keep up the great work.  I should be back next week.  I should be 100% by this Monday.  I cannot wait to work out again.

WARHAWK O0