Author Topic: Interested in trying DE Shave, where do I start  (Read 19516 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Re: Interested in trying DE Shave, where do I start
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »
Waine, did you try any kind of straight yet?

I was gifted with a nice straight from my mother who bought a sewing machine and found an old one in the bottom draw.  It has the owners name engraved on it from Germany.  The blade was a little rusted so I meticulously sanded the blade with 600, 800, 1000 grit and now I am slowly polishing it with 1200 grit paper and oil until it is nice and shiny again.  Now I am on the hunt for some decent 6000 to 8000 whet stones and a strop to learn how to actually use it.  I am so ampt to try it out Bluebriz.  I tried a shavette but gashed open my face on the first stroke.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:42:32 AM by waine »
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

theman

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
Waine, did you try any kind of straight yet?

I was gifted with a nice straight from my mother who bought a sewing machine and found an old one in the bottom draw.  It has the owners name engraved on it from Germany.  The blade was a little rusted so I meticulously sanded the blade with 600, 800, 1000 grit and now I am slowly polishing it with 1200 grit paper and oil until it is nice and shiny again.  Now I am on the hunt for some decent 6000 to 8000 whet stones and a strop to learn how to actually use it.  I am so ampt to try it out Bluebriz.  I tried a shavette but gashed open my face on the first stroke.
Sweet Waine, Love to see a picture of that pup !  I have had a few, but with the arthritis , and broken paws, and bones from past days  ;) I gave up those .  Cool though . O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2012, 03:47:43 AM »
Waine, how did things go with the straight?  Did you get it honed up and find some hones and strop for yourself? I'd love to hear how it's going for you!

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2012, 04:55:48 AM »
I don't see much of waine on here anymore :-(

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »
Waine is still about, but infrequently. He's dealing with internet connectivity issues ... expecting resolution early in the New Year. Hope so, 'cause I miss his participation as well.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »
Thanx FG,  Hope all works out soon for him.  Miss his posts.
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL