Author Topic: Interested in trying DE Shave, where do I start  (Read 19623 times)

Offline Bucksfan

• Sly Jr.
Re: Interested in trying DE Shave, where do I start
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 07:09:39 AM »
Good advice on this thread.  In my opinion, a DE newby will need:

1) a razor.  I recommend either a Merkur 34c or one of the Edwin Jaggers at first (inexpensive, good shaves).  These are available lots of places, including amazon.  The EJ is a little less aggressive, which may be good for a newby.

2) blades.  There are sampler packs available, but that really doesn't make sense for a newby because you don't have your technique down yet... a bad technique with a super-sharp blade = bad news.  My favorites are Derby for day-to-day and feather for fun.  Other brands of blades are also available at supermarkets / drug stores. 

3) shaving cream or soap.  Don't use the canned stuff, at the very least go to your local supermarket and get shaving soap. 

4) a badger-hair brush.  These are hard to find in local stores, but definitely available online.  I am still using the tweezerman brush I got 5 years ago, when I first started DE shaving.   

5) "nick stick" - you are bound to get yourself from time to time, and it will bleed.  This stops the blood. 

6) time.  Plan to spend a lot of time the first few shaves, to get the blade angle down and learn technique.  Don't rush this. 

The good news is that even if you decide you don't like it - you will be able to recoup most of your expenses by selling the razor, brush, blades, etc.  But, if you give it the time you will learn to love it for face shaving, even if not for head shaving. 

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
  • They call it the Damato
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
Well, I appreciate everyone's suggestions and input. I ended up ordering one of the new Razorock 3 piece razors today as my first step. It was inexpensive, but had good reviews for an entry level unit. I stopped by Sally's beauty supply to look at the one they had for $12.99.  It looked so thin and cheaply made that I didn't even bother. It concerned me that the thing could even securely hold a blade from the looks of it.  I'llnhave another update once I get it and have a chance to try it out.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
Which model did you order Matt?

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
The RazoRock Mirrored Pole II Three Piece. Apparently I got the last one they had in stock because now the website is saying they are out of stock. It's very sharp looking.

http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-mirrored-pole-ii-three-piece-double-edge-razor

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
OK.  I got that one too, but I haven't tried it yet because I'm enjoying the "Jaws" model so much!

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
Well as soon as I try it I'll let you know. Only problem is I have no DE experience to compare it to.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 05:20:47 AM »
Sure you'll be fine mate. Take it slow, try to let the weight of the razor guide you - you definitely don't need to press like with cartridge razors!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »
The RazoRock Mirrored Pole II Three Piece. Apparently I got the last one they had in stock because now the website is saying they are out of stock. It's very sharp looking.

http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-mirrored-pole-ii-three-piece-double-edge-razor
Hi Matt:  The Italianbarber is a great vendor.  Keep us posted on your safety razor journey.  Warning... you are going to enjoy it.  I know I am.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32:41 AM »
The mailman just dropped off my razor!!! I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know the results.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »
The mailman just dropped off my razor!!! I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know the results.
Hi Matt:  That is awesome.  Please post some pics a in the Safety Razor SOTD tomorrow.  Good luck and take your time.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
Well, I made the mistake of trying this for the first time when I was in a hurry. It wasn't bad until I started on the underside of my chin and forgot the whole bit about using less pressure. Needless to say I scalped myself a little, but the rest wasn't bad. I'll give it a few days and wait til I have more time to do more than the one WTG pass, and try again. Thanks to everyone for all of your pointers and tips.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »
After DE shaving for a few months now nicks and scrapes are very rare indeed, however I did learn a new lesson last week.
My wife was talking to me, and without thinking I grabbed by EJ 89L out of the razor holder using by thumb and middle finger against the blade sides of the razor.  I found out that Feather blades are indeed very sharp as the blade entered my thumb;  it did not even need a slicing motion to make a deep, bloody gash.
Oh well, another life lesson learned the painful way.

theman

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 07:44:56 PM »
As usual Warhawk gave some excellent advice. I would add that if you just want to test the DE waters, you might ring up an old fart friend or family member and ask if they have an old Gillette laying around. Like Warhawk said, they last forever and, "junk drawers" all over may contain one. DE shaving becomes addictive and quickly a hobby. Good Luck!

O0
I was reading this site earlier today and decided to give this a shot.  Good advice I went down to a local Antique Store and found 2 old Gillette's  one is gold tone Mdl. Regus , The other is dates back I would say to 40-50's  My Dad had one just like it it is made out of Brass, I want to take some Basso to it and make it shine this one has teeth on it like Shark teeth.  I then stopped by Wally World and the only blades Double Edge were Wilkinson.  If someone could tell me why one has these teeth it would help.   ;D  Got them both for $10.07 . 

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:10 PM »
Can you post a picture of the razors?

theman

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
Can you post a picture of the razors?
I will go back and read how this could be accomplished.  I know enough about a computer to be dangerous LOL !  I did Google Gillette Razors and it had pictures of the ones  I have, I sure wish I could have checked the price !  I know I got a good deal on them but I would like to know how good !  LOL