Author Topic: Interested in trying DE Shave, where do I start  (Read 19518 times)

Offline medpsy82

• Sly Jr.
Re: Interested in trying DE Shave, where do I start
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
Any one have any thoughts on a Merkur 37C (slant bar)? I hear these give some of the best shaves out there. Using my current DE scares me a little with shaving, seems a little unforgiving on my head considering I always cut myself and get razor burn. I know my technique isn't really there for my head yet, but wonder if the 37C is worth getting. If so, OP you could consider this one for your first DE purchase (about $45 or so); just be careful of RAD, it can get really nasty.
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/120919/samp3c41427fc0c77b87.jpg[/img]    ~No Worries~

Slynito

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »
I've never used a slant, but I know that Warhawk uses one and likes it...they are very aggressive and good for thick beards. For a start I would suggest a Merkur 34C...check out reviews of all you are interested on the net.

http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-008-00/merkur-34c-classic-safety-razor.html

Good luck  O0

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
  • They call it the Damato
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 07:32:07 AM »
Well, yesterday I was on the other side of town where some friends own an "attic to antique" shop and I asked them if they ever run into any vintage shaving stuff, mugs, stands, razors, etc. He said they do from time to time, and happened to have just had the opportunity to pick an estate house that was built in 1910. They had a trailer full and he knew there were a few safety razors that were in good shape. He's supposed to send me pictures or give me a call early next week once they are able to unload the trailer full of stuff and sort the new inventory.
Here's to hoping he's got something good!  :)

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »
Take a look on italianbarber.com

The guy who runs it is a great guy, and he's just launched a bunch of new razors priced around 20 dollars I think.  He speaks very highly of them and having dealt with him several times I trust his advice 100%.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
ItalianBarber is definetly good. He's the guy that brought us RazoRock!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
I just looked on italianbarber.com. The $20 and under razors are RazoRock, and those things are sharp looking!!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
I just looked on italianbarber.com. The $20 and under razors are RazoRock, and those things are sharp looking!!

I really like the look of that open comb one, and brass razors, built to last like in the old days....if only I hadn't promised no more razors....

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 01:23:36 AM »
Hey there MattD

I am completely sold out on DE shaving as the owner of three decent DE's.  The Derby blades are my favorite. (Thanks to Warhawk).  I will not go back to plastic or "canned goo" ever again.  I only use my HeadBlade when I want a quick head shave.  I introduced DE and wet shaving to my brother a few weeks back and he has enthusiastically gone the same route. Much has been covered on this thread and many others about this topic so I won't elaborate. 

I finally spotted an awesome looking DE razor in my country in a "brick and mortar"  shop.  It is a Merkur with a long handle, I suspect it is a 180 from what I have Googled.  I am so stoked that I finally saw a quality brand new DE that I can actually hold in my hand and consider buying.  I am so keen to buy it that I have made up my mind to do so on pay day.

Go for it, you will never look back, in fact it gets quite addictive...
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Slynito

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »
Yesterday my Mother gave me a 1947 Gillette Super Speed that my Father used. I'm sure that I used it when I was a kid, but I'll give it a spin this week just for ol' time sake.

O:O

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Yesterday my Mother gave me a 1947 Gillette Super Speed that my Father used. I'm sure that I used it when I was a kid, but I'll give it a spin this week just for ol' time sake.

O:O

That's cool!!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
Awesome!

theman

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
That's cool !  O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:39 PM »
Any one have any thoughts on a Merkur 37C (slant bar)?
I love my Merkur 37C.  I was recently "gifted" a Merkur 37G.  It is basically the same slant razor but it is the "blinged-out" version (gold-plated).

Slant razors are great performers.  I would not suggest this razor for a beginner until technique is improved after a month or so.  If you have been DE shaving exclusively for atleast a month... than I would suggest a slant razor.  So far... Merkur is the only company making modern-day slant razors at this time.  Merkur makes the 37C (regular handle) and the 39C (long handle).  The 37G has been discontinued.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

theman

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »
I love my Merkur 37C.  I was recently "gifted" a Merkur 37G.  It is basically the same slant razor but it is the "blinged-out" version (gold-plated).

Slant razors are great performers.  I would not suggest this razor for a beginner until technique is improved after a month or so.  If you have been DE shaving exclusively for atleast a month... than I would suggest a slant razor.  So far... Merkur is the only company making modern-day slant razors at this time.  Merkur makes the 37C (regular handle) and the 39C (long handle).  The 37G has been discontinued.

WARHAWK O0
Bro. would this be like shaving with a Fusion ?  And do you have any friends that like to "gift"  Sly guys lol.  Do you have any Merkurs for sale ?

Sorry , I am just so dern full of questions !  LOL

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »
37G was discontinued?  Bah, that was on my list for a buy in the next year!

WARHAWK O0