Author Topic: top military movies...  (Read 30624 times)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: top military movies...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:45:32 PM »
Movies:
Band of Brothers
Bridge over the River Kwai (and for more realism than the movie, read Through the Valley of the Kwai
Sergeant York
Patton
MacArthur
 TV
M*A*S*H*
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 11:35:03 PM »
I forgot about Band of Brothers...that series kicks butt!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 01:02:02 AM »
oooh yeah...I like Saving Private Ryan too  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 01:31:03 AM »
Full Metal Jacket... when i was in the reserves, I shined my boots to that movie! Before I joined, i thought the boot camp half was intense... after living through Marine boot camp, I find Gunny Hartman VERY Comical :*)) I have yet to have a girlfriend that could see the humor in the gunny's ass chewings!

Band of Brothers... I ordered HBO JUST for that series!

Kelly's Hero's... LMAO! you have to watch the movie to understand

Major Payne... I'm not a Wayans brothers fan... but anyone that has spent time in the Marines will find true humor in this movie

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
I love military movies...

Saving Private Ryan (cos I was an extra in it. seriously!)
Heartbreak Ridge
Sniper
Das Boot

All the Vietnam ones, Hamburger Hill, Platoon, Full metal Jacket, Born on the Fourth of July

And a whole bunch of others.

p.s. Streamers, the play by David Rabe.  Saw it years ago when I was just a young fella and thought it was brilliant.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:36:57 AM by Blagadán »

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 11:58:27 AM »
Lots of good suggestions so far.  Here is a twist... a multiple academy award winning movie about 3 soldiers returning from WWII and their struggles to readjust to civilian life.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Years-Our-Lives/dp/0792846133/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8327906-0850366?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1180115536&sr=8-1

Blagadan, Saving Private Ryan was the first DVD I purchased... unbelievably realistic.  The first half hour was unreal.  It was my understanding that D-Day vets were awestruck -- it was just as they remembered storming the beaches.  Where did you appear in the movie?  I may have to watch this again since it is Memorial Day weekend.  Band of Brothers is also excellent.  It is amazing listening to how humble those guys are, even to this day... a different time to be sure.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 10:30:09 PM by Stew »
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »
 :/O Has anyone seen Stone Cold Steve Austin's "The Condemned"? Is it worth tracking? Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 11:11:17 AM »
GI JOE, yes that's right it's a cartoon but it's still my favorite. The only thing i didn't like was they never mentioned canada and we're the good guys too you know.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »
GI JOE, yes that's right it's a cartoon but it's still my favorite. The only thing i didn't like was they never mentioned canada and we're the good guys too you know.

I loved GI Joe as a kid O0

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 06:45:07 PM »
The first half hour was unreal.  It was my understanding that D-Day vets were awestruck -- it was just as they remembered storming the beaches.

We spent 3 days shooting scenes that never made it into the film because they involved Shermans on the beach.  I was lying on the sand when a Sherman rolled by firing machine guns. It was one of the most thrilling moments of my life feeling the earth shudder as the tank went past firing.  It's hard to imagine what it must have been like for real though!  I've so much respect for those who went through that.

Where did you appear in the movie?

Unfortunately you only see me on the big screen. I'm a small figure at the end of a line walking in to the camp on the beach head near the start of the film. On DVD/video the viewing area (for want of a better term) is smaller so i get cut off.  Bastards!  There goes my 15 minutes of fame.
The opening scenes were done on a beach in the South East of Ireland.  All of the extras were Army Reserves, I recognise a lot of the faces on the beach and sitting around the camp.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »
Firebase Gloria.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
There are so many good ones out there, many already mention, but a few that just never get old, Blackhawk Down (even thought they change the factual events) Glory, Braveheart, We Were Soldiers.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 12:58:23 PM »
Snap I forgot  :/O, Garden of Stone.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

BaldRob

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 08:50:57 PM »
Snap I forgot  :/O, Garden of Stone.

:'(

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 10:30:46 PM »

I loved GI Joe as a kid O0

Dude I meant as an adult
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]